Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings brotherhood from down under.I just had an after market light bar fitted and the indicators moved on to it. they are constantky fusing.shop says it is beacuse they now touch the crash bars on full lock, whilst parking. cant take crash bars off, they hold my touring pegs. any helpful ideas please? [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
If you can't dazzle them with brillance ... baffle em with bull. Blowing fuses is due to an electrical malfunction ... not your signals touching your crash bars ... tell them their full of s%#it. You have a wiring issue somewhere .. probably pulling on wires and stretching them at full lock. Your signals might be touching the bars, but that ain't blowing fuses.

·
Registered
50 Posts
+1 I agree totally. Their explanation of the problem is full of crap. It's their way of telling you they made a mistake and aren't going to fix it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Actually, the fuses are blowing because you are always driving upside down. If you move to the US, it should fix this problem. What? That makes as much sense as their explanation.

The light housing is not usually part of the circuit. Even if it was part of the circuit, it would be the ground side and since your highway bars are mounted to the frame, they are grounded also. Touching 2 grounds to each other does nothing. It sounds like there is a hot wire that is being pulled somewhere and shorting to ground. It has to be after the fuse in the circuit so start at the fuse and work your way around the circuit. This probably can be fixed with a little extra wire and maybe some heat shrink wire wrap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
riding upside down

Giday, bewdy mate. Dont come the raw prawn with me, she'll be jake!

Seriously, thanks for the tip ,my local harley shop stuffed this up,I live in mount Isa, a mining town in far north west queensland, a desert area. not too many bike mechanics here, lol stay up right ( for your part of the world, that is! ) ride free

j

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the best part that makes this impossible is that the turn signal buckets are PLASTIC!!!

this explains it .... LOL

Seriously, thanks for the tip ,my local harley shop stuffed this up

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Actually, the fuses are blowing because you are always driving upside down. If you move to the US, it should fix this problem. What? That makes as much sense as their explanation.

The light housing is not usually part of the circuit. Even if it was part of the circuit, it would be the ground side and since your highway bars are mounted to the frame, they are grounded also. Touching 2 grounds to each other does nothing. It sounds like there is a hot wire that is being pulled somewhere and shorting to ground. It has to be after the fuse in the circuit so start at the fuse and work your way around the circuit. This probably can be fixed with a little extra wire and maybe some heat shrink wire wrap.
AND on the wrong side of the road!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
First, I would check your new lights to see if they have two wires or one going into the housing. If it's a single wire then the installer is expecting the frame to carry the current back to the battery. Unfortunately Kawasaki, as well as Honda and others, do not have a ground wire attached to the fork assembly. The current must find it's way back through the steering bearings. Not good! The first thing I would do is borrow a multimeter, set it on VDC and with the lights on test between the light housing (fork assembly) and the frame of the bike (crash bar). You will need to find a clean point of contact for the test. The readings should be zero volts. Is it possible the light housing is moving when in contact with the crash bar? It could be moving just enough to pinch the wires entering the housing. Does it happen when you go full right and the other light touches the other crash bar?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Giday, bewdy mate. Dont come the raw prawn with me, she'll be jake!

j
Damn! And my Aussie decoder ring just went on the fritz! Even babblefish can't help with this one. If you could just translate that in to Greek or maybe ancient Hebrew, I might could translate it into American. That, or I need to find Dr. Who or Ford Prefect. Either way, I'm set.
Cheers mate!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts