Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you may have read that my wife and I are planning a 1600 mile round trip next month on our bikes. Because of this, I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about whether my 9 is ready to be that far from home...which is sad, because I used to hop on her and head 4 hours into the mountains without a second though...the reason I bought a new bike last year.

Anyway, I noticed just tonight that I could hear the fuel pump buzzing while the bike was idling. It's pretty faint, but I never noticed it before, just a high-pitched buzz. I searched the forums, and only one thread concerned my exact issue. The thread, as many do, wandered into speculation without really answering this important question:

Is this noise normal? Have others among you ever noticed it before? The bike has about 4300 miles on it, and I recently got a crappy tank of gas. This last tank I tried some ethanol neutralizer called Star-Tron, and added a few ounces of Sea Form because I was intermittently getting a hiccup from the bike.

I know this noise is the fuel pump. It is a definite mechanical whirring coming from the right side of the tank. I can hear it pretty well if I press my ear against the side of the tank. I checked the breather lines (a solution commonly suggested) and found the one under the seat slightly pinched, but fixing that made no difference that I could tell.

Sorry to be such a nuisance guys, but I can't typically get the time of day from my kawi dealer, much less answers to any questions...and these always seems the best place to go. thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This is normal & mine once made even a louder noise just before start up. I run Marvel Mystery oil every other tank full or close to it. I figure not only does this keep things clean in the engine it helps to lubricate the pump. As long as its working you should be fine. Its probably always made the noise & your just starting to notice it, but the pump is on the left side as sitting on the seat.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
A 1600 mile ride is nothing for this 900 to tackle.... You are making yourself miserable worrying about every little noise that comes around. To make yourself feel better about preparation, build a small tool kit with an adjustable wrench, small metric socket set, two different screwdrivers and a small pair of pliers.... This should take care of any small issues that may occur on the trip, and hopefully you have towing on your insurance......After that, just go out and ride, and the miles will disappear quickly under your tires, with no issues at all...... These bikes are made to roll, they make some unique noises, much like a Jeep Wrangler, but they are work horses that are designed to take a beating and keep on going...... Have a safe trip and keep the rubber side down....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine whirs when I first turn the ignition (pump pressuring up), and I wait until it stops whirring before starting. While the bike is running, if I am stopped and do not have a helmet on, I can very faintly hear mine, if my head is almost on my tank. My daughter's Zuma 125 is the same way, but the Zuma is a WAY quieter bike at idle.

Most of the off-the-shelf fuel additives have an additive to help lubricate the fuel pump. Also, the better the brand of gas usually has a more well-rounded and robust additive package in it. I prefer fuels with Techron (Chevron, Texaco); the bike seems to run better on their additive package than others I've tried, like Shell, Sunoco, Maverick, Sinclair, Conoco (yes, I've tried at least 3 tanks in a row of each in my 9 and the four other bikes we have as well as my vehicles). Sounds dumb, but I always buy from the same station when I can (about 90% of the time) and if not, always the same brand.

I agree with kawaafter, don't make yourself miserable; just prep well and ride. Most of my rides are the 200 to 400 miles variety, and aside from normal prep (tire pressure, oil level, clean shield, non-scratching rag for shield, tool kit all there), I do nothing more to enjoy my rides. Yes, getting stranded over something you should have prepped for is enough to make the lovely question the mechanical abilities of her hubby, but that also happens with cagers.

I ran 215 miles last night, just to ride. My house to Salina Canyon to Spotted Wolf pass on I-70 and back at 65 mph, just enjoying the wind and the scenery; do the same, enjoy the road and take what happens in stride.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I'm trying to take it easy and calm down; I do tend to wind myself really tight when I have a lot on my plate, and I was in a way bad mood yesterday from a particularly douchey customer at work. And when I'm wound, I become hypersensitive to anything unusual (read: never noticed before because I wasn't freaking out).

The noise seemed considerably less noticeable today, and like XC noted, yeah, it ain't on the right side of the tank anyway (DURDURDUR). But the bike seems to be running just fine. But I still get that little twitch...for instance today I noticed the FI system cycling AFTER I hit the kill switch to shut down the bike...never noticed that before either, but that by no means indicates it's never happened. Just means if it did, I wasn't working on a panic attack lol.

But I have to get a tire on it anyway...with confidence I can say I don't believe the Dunlop has 2000 miles left in it, and that's how far we got to ride, counting our detour to Jackson to visit some family and the actual return from American Falls to our home in Twin Falls. I'll have the dealer give her a good once-over before I hit the slab. Thanks for being understanding...I halfway expecting some razzing from SOMEONE lol

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
dood, if you let ever little thing annoy you or stir you, then you'd probly never leave the house. am sure yor bike will do jus fine. part of the road trip xperience is venturing into the unknown.. unknown if my horse will let me down.. out in the boonies.. no she wont. take good reasonable care and she will do same for you. If you have a problem,, well then you will have a story to tell,, how you overcame it. how otters came to the rescue. or how you (slow-painful) died in the wilderness.. (yor journal published pos'humerous). either way we get a good story out of it. so there,, win/win. ponchout.. and not just any someone

ps. have faith, have courage, have fun.. take lotsa pix

·
Registered
851 Posts
dood, if you let ever little thing annoy you or stir you, then you'd probly never leave the house. am sure yor bike will do jus fine. part of the road trip xperience is venturing into the unknown.. unknown if my horse will let me down.. out in the boonies.. no she wont. take good reasonable care and she will do same for you. If you have a problem,, well then you will have a story to tell,, how you overcame it. how otters came to the rescue. or how you (slow-painful) died in the wilderness.. (yor journal published pos'humerous). either way we get a good story out of it. so there,, win/win. ponchout.. and not just any someone

ps. have faith, have courage, have fun.. take lotsa pix
Very well put Poncho...I don't think anyone could have put any better than you just did.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol Ponch...that was the best job of making me feel better all day. Thanks, man, 'preciate it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I tried to follow everyone's collective advice. I tried to mellow out and not worry so much. And what better way to do that than go for a ride, right?

Wife and I hopped on our scoots and headed down to Jackpot. Mine seemed to be running great, I mean, really. It's about 50 miles there, and it went quickly 'cept for some nasty road work just north of Jackpot. We pulled into a gas station there, just to use the facilities and buy a drink as a show of courtesy to the establishment.

Then my hopes were DASHED.

We got ready to leave, I hopped back on my bike, flipped the ignition switch to on, waited for the F/I to cycle, and hit the starter button. motor cranked. Bike didn't fire.

BIKE
DIDN'T
FIRE

I cranked it a couple more times, even held it for a sec. This bike has NEVER, NEVER not started. Every time, in any weather, within a second and a half. This has never happened before. My brain cycled through all the environmental factors:

gas at just a little blow 3/4 tank
bike parked nose-up on a rather steep hill, considering it was a gas station parking lot
starter cycles, have lights and power, BUT NO IGNITION

So I flipped the key back off and then on again, bumped the starter again...
VROOM. Within 2 cycles of the starter motor, LIKE ALWAYS. We tore ass home without stopping, just in case. I got roadside on the bikes, but I didn't want to use it. But we just got home and I've checked it three more times, and she started EVERY TIME.

Right now I'm feeling a classic case of "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." The feeling that if this has happened once, it could happen again, and maybe next time I'll get no second chance is very powerful at this moment. So I'm gonna take the bike over to the dealer, drop it off, and tell them to troubleshoot the ignition and fuel systems. It honestly felt to me like it was no fire rather than no fuel.

Sadly, our trip next month will now become a cage trip. It just won't be any fun until my trust is restored in my 9. The only consolation is it's going to cost way less in hotel rooms, because I can push through a 12-hour drive in a car no problem.

Thanks for all the support tho. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. If my crazy mystery noises might have been some symptom, that would be good info for the community to have.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
lf, no be afeared. cross country on a skoot is a lot of work. time. money(hotels). and wear you out. taking the space shuttle is a smart move. can you haul yor bike(s)? ifso, doit! you can still get in some day rides around areas you may never see again..for a time. So the shuttle gets you there in short order. having the skoots lets you xplore the terry tory. If your horse pulls up lame, you gots a rescue vehicle in the vicinity. win/win.

I am contemplating another solo run in August. but where? been mos everwhere and solo is spensive. Weather being what it is (hot), am considerin Kalifornia Koast run. may hafta Truk to somesplace like LaLa and drop the truk. Unload the skootr and ride 101 n 1 all the way to Neah Bay, WaWa. 1400 smiles. then wheel her round and either do it backwards or cut thru the valley n stop at as many NP's as time permits.. not fond of runnin superslab I-5. yuk! but havin the truk at the end of the line, is a better 1500mile superslab I-10 to tejas. jes sayin. ponchout

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To be completely honest, I wasn't terribly thrilled with two 7 hour days (which ends up being like 13 hours if you're on a scoot) on the way down to make the wedding we're going to. The first would've been a grueling day of I-80 East across Wyoming, which is so profoundly boring I would probably have lost my mind out there anyway. The second was plotted partway along I-25 South till we hit Fort Collins, then off onto state highways to avoid the mess in Denver. But I certainly regret the loss of our return trip through Aspen. I was really looking forward to that.

But the wife isn't heartbroken...she grew up on dirt and trail bikes, but she said she didn't know if she was ready for that much road riding so soon after getting her own bike. So we'll take some nice day rides when we get back (provided my scoot is operating properly), because now we're gonna have 300 bucks extra in our wallets from not having to stay in hotels.

The worst thing is my eroded confidence in my bike. And I've got the sneaking suspicion it's gonna hafta flat-out quit and leave me somewhere because it just don't wanna repeat what it did last night. I've never trusted my dealer very much, either, and I'm worried that 1) I'm gonna get jogged back and forth being told nothing's wrong when obviously something is and 2) they're gonna try to stick it to me on the warranty because I've never brought it to them for any maintenance except when there's an issue. I guess we'll see how it works out.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Well, I tried to follow everyone's collective advice. I tried to mellow out and not worry so much. And what better way to do that than go for a ride, right?

Wife and I hopped on our scoots and headed down to Jackpot. Mine seemed to be running great, I mean, really. It's about 50 miles there, and it went quickly 'cept for some nasty road work just north of Jackpot. We pulled into a gas station there, just to use the facilities and buy a drink as a show of courtesy to the establishment.

Then my hopes were DASHED.

We got ready to leave, I hopped back on my bike, flipped the ignition switch to on, waited for the F/I to cycle, and hit the starter button. motor cranked. Bike didn't fire.

BIKE
DIDN'T
FIRE

I cranked it a couple more times, even held it for a sec. This bike has NEVER, NEVER not started. Every time, in any weather, within a second and a half. This has never happened before. My brain cycled through all the environmental factors:

bike parked nose-up on a rather steep hill, considering it was a gas station parking lot

VROOM. Within 2 cycles of the starter motor, LIKE ALWAYS. We tore ass home without stopping, just in case. I got roadside on the bikes, but I didn't want to use it. But we just got home and I've checked it three more times, and she started EVERY TIME.

Right now I'm feeling a classic case of "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." The feeling that if this has happened once, it could happen again, and maybe next time I'll get no second chance is very powerful at this moment. So I'm gonna take the bike over to the dealer, drop it off, and tell them to troubleshoot the ignition and fuel systems. It honestly felt to me like it was no fire rather than no fuel.

Sadly, our trip next month will now become a cage trip. It just won't be any fun until my trust is restored in my 9. The only consolation is it's going to cost way less in hotel rooms, because I can push through a 12-hour drive in a car no problem.

Thanks for all the support tho. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. If my crazy mystery noises might have been some symptom, that would be good info for the community to have.
Dude, ya gotta read or watch some Wayne Dyer stuff....power of intention (the like)....u are gonna manifest your bad luck. BEWARE OF DARK IMAGININGS! i DONT WANNA GO ALL MUMBO-JUMBO, PSYCHO-BABBLE on ya, but relax man.....the universe WILL unfold as it should. The nine WON'T break down on you....they were made to be driven. If something DID happen, call a flat-bed, trailer it home, run two-up with the wifey....and u have a great story to tell. End-of. In the mean-time, do a little research on Wayne.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I just read yur last post...."profoundly grueling"....."bored to death"....u might have to re-evaluate your commitment to motorcycling. I see a Mazda Miata in your future. One of my best friends was considering a Harley he had his eye on.....he bought a Honda cruiser first.....to see if it was in "his blood".....it was, and he pulled the trigger on a thirty thousand dollar Rocker. It was a wise move on his part. He drove the Honda for two years, realized that he was gonna ride for a long time before he cashed in his retirement fund and bought HIS dream bike. Maybe, just maybe, if bike rides are "grueling" affairs......it MIGHT not be for you....and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't misunderstand, Silent, I love riding. I ride all winter if it's not snowing. I brave the cold, I won't be put off by rain. Snow keeps me in, but it kept me in before I had a motorcycle. What I hate is BORING ROADS. Roads with no corners. Roads that run through land devoid of topography. That's what I-80 is once you come down out of the mountains in western WY. It woulda been 5 or 6 hours of superslab, staring at the horizon, trying not to get blown of my bike by semi trucks. That bit's always grueling for me. The monotony and the tedium of staring at an unchanging landscape, buzzing away at the same speed in the same direction for hours on end.

I think you also missed the part where I was disappointed about missing out on the return trip. I would ride that whole state's worth of completely dull superslab for the chance to tear through the Colorado Rockies on my 9. I'd do it more than once. I do something similar now, because Twin Falls, ID happens to be smack dab in the middle of a landscape very similar to the once I just described in southern WY. As it is now, I have a minimum hour ride in any direction before I find decent scenery. There's a couple fun places to scoot nearby, but it literally is only a couple. Otherwise, you're on I-84, US30, US93, or ID75, cutting straight through flat lava plains covered in sage brush and rockchucks. And I grew up in a small town, where I was 30 minutes from anywhere...I'm flat sick of driving through featureless desert, in a car or on a bike.

But would I do to get somewhere interesting? Hell yes. Have and will again. So give me some credit man. Mazda miata? Really? That was just uncalled for.

edit: sorry to come off as indignant. The sudden, unexpected twitchiness of my bike really has me pretty down. And I'm looking for a lot of reasons to NOT be disappointed to make the trip in our car instead. And I know you guys are telling me to be cool and not flip out...but unless someone can give me a good reason why my bike wouldn't fire last night, but was running great there and ran great back, well...9-Ball's going in the garage between 8/10 and 8/14 while I grind out those miles in a cage.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Motorcycles make all sorts of odd noises and groans, but most owners become attuned to these emmisions. No, you are not paranoid if you notice something amiss. These can be warning signs of upcoming failures...that slight howl on de-accel, that grind on shift, that squeak that was not there before, that cycle of the sub-throttle assembly out of the blue, a fuel pump that suddenly is making way more noise than it did before.

There is a reason for any odd occurance, ALWAYS. It may be minor, it may be major, but always a reason and to pick up on it and investigate is prudent.
A slight howl could result in a complete failure of the bevel gear case and to dismiss it can be expensive! (1500,1600's)

My bike starts hot/cold, idles hot/cold, runs hot/cold, drives hot/cold, sounds hot/cold EXACTLY the same, day in and day out and if it did otherwise, there would be cause for a "Holmes" investigation.

I say that your concerns were valid. You picked up one something "out of the ordinary" and expressed questions about it. Nothing wrong with that. To catch problems early always pays off in the long run.

My thoughts only.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Laughing...sorry, the Miata was My idea.....when my riding days are over....To me, they are kinda like riding....only on four wheels...no disrespect intended....actually, before I bought the nine....I gave the wife the choice...Miata or cruiser. Much to my surprise she picked the 9.....Phew.
Seriously though, with two bikes on a road trip....it is way safer than "lone wolfing" it. The nine, I guarantee will take u there...and back.
I hate the highway too.....the wife and I always take the long way round....but lately I've begun to enjoy long rides on an open highway. There is something serene about not having to think.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mechanically, my 9 is sound. I'm positive this issue is electrical/electronic. I'm taking it to the dealer, and they'll have to stare at it every day until someone over there either finds something wrong, or is willing to come pick my up if 9-Ball quits. I didn't buy the warranty for no reason.

I'm gonna go over there in a bit and see what they have to say. There's gotta be a reason she's doing what she's doing. But I really hope I don't get the run around. Maybe I'll take it to the dealer in Pokey...their service department couldn't possibly be any worse. Gotta head up that way anyway right before we leave.

And hey, I do appreciate everyone's support and advice. I think this is a great community. And Silent...sorry I got crabby about the Miata bit. Roadsters just ain't my thing, and you were just offering a sincere bit of understanding. I mean...I would probably drive a 427 Super Cobra...but that's as close as I'd get to the roadster thing.

I'll post back later with whatever nonsense I get from the dealer.

·
Registered
358 Posts

BIKE
DIDN'T
FIRE

I went through this once. I was at the dealer, checking to see if I won a Vaquero, and bragging to a potential customer about how reliable and well balanced the 900 is...
After finding out I "won" a service discount, I hopped on my scoot, turned the key, flipped the kill switch to the 'on' position, clicked the starter button, listened to the starter...and no worky. :confused: After a couple more clicks of the starter, my face turned red. Yeah, real cool. :cool:
Then I reached down to pull the key before the "walk of shame", and noticed I had the key in the wrong position. Just past start, but not quite to accessory. Damn! I was really embarrassed! :embarrassed: An ID-10-T error!
Anyway, put the key in the correct position, clicked the starter button, and HAZZAH! She was ready to go! I'm glad I didn't stall her when I pulled out...

Point being, it ain't always the bike...she IS reliable and well balanced. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts