Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're sorry for the inconvenience, and we will do our best to catch any users who have trouble getting back online. We just don't want to wait for a simple password to cause a site issue, we'd rather try and head that issue off.

Kevin

·
Registered
212 Posts
Noble administrator, when you have more info it would be good to email the membership and disclose what data might have been compromised, in case those who had their accounts hacked might need to make changes elsewhere.

I was able to re-login using the new auto-generated PW, no problem, BTW.

The new PW is extremely long and complex. Pity the fool who loses track of that booger...!

Also, if/when you track down who has been messing with the site, let us know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
A big THANK YOU to the admins for being concerned for our online security. It's a shame that the majority of people don't take online security seriously.

Everyone wants a free internet (as in not restricted like it is in China, N. Korea, etc.), but that freedom, just like our American freedoms, comes with a price and responsibility. Like the saying goes, "There is no such thing as a free lunch." So quit whining and do what is necessary to keep the site safe!

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
what's on these sites that's so valuable? my online banking site is easier to deal with.
Information. Each and every site you visit has info on you that can be exploited. Also, if you use the same password for multiple sites, once they break it, you are vulnerable on those other sites. Simple passwords can be broken in seconds with software that idiot kiddie hackers can download. More complex passwords cannot be so easily cracked.

If everyone had good online security habits, I think it has been estimated that 95+% of all attacks would be stopped. The other 5% or less are usually going after bigger fish than you and me.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management
First post of this thread from over a week ago. I logged on with my old password late last nite, and got a new password by email this morning.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I have not been able to log in on my phone since the change, and just noticed that if I click on a link to another thread on this forum, it wants me to login again on the new page, even though I clicked the box remember me when I logged in the 1st time. Then it tells me I have entered the wrong log in info, that I just logged in on the previous page with.

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not been able to log in on my phone since the change, and just noticed that if I click on a link to another thread on this forum, it wants me to login again on the new page, even though I clicked the box remember me when I logged in the 1st time. Then it tells me I have entered the wrong log in info, that I just logged in on the previous page with.
hey rick,

I would remove the site from your cache and remember me function on your browser and re-type it all in again. its probably remembering your old password and putting that in instead of your new one.

do a full cache and cookie clear and if you used your browsers remember me function, i would remove the site from that as well and put it back in to make sure its all up to date.

let me know if that helps and reply back here.

~Shane

1 - 18 of 18 Posts