Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i've got a 91 EN500 and looking to bobber it as ill be using it as a daily ride and with the Scottish roads and grit itll take a bit of a beating. Its also a preference of style as i like the blacked out tough beat me down and ill get back up everytime look.

Ive started stripping a few bits off and before my stand arrives tomorrow im looking for info on how folks go about mounting a rear fender.

Im keeping the shocks but will be adding a solo seat to drop and push back my seating position. I dont want to go for a sprung seat as i think itll be overkill on springs at the back.

So... Getting to my question... How do you guys go about mounting a fender snug to the tyre without it bottoming out. If i strut it on the sides, where/how do I attach the back of the fender (behind the tyre)? I would think that if it was welded or bolted to the swingarm, when the shocks compressed it would push against the struts fixed further back and to the sides of the fender.

Any ideas/advice folks? Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Google "swingarm mounted fender." It's a great way to get that look without sacrificing suspension. It WILL make for a very nasty, bumpy ride for anyone sitting on the back, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, tried a bit of that but there's a lot of sites at work I can't get into including Youtube.

I guess that's the thing, I googled something similar to what you typed and came across a Shadow forum and I guess I was a little bit intimdated by the flaming which went on when a fellow rider asked a question.

What really sealed the deal for me when buying this bike was the community. I know there'll be some figuring out on my part involved when customising this bike to my taste.

I know it won't be a straightforward thing but I've accepted it's all part of the challenge. I've been really happy with the fruits of my labour so far so nae danger!

Been trying to rememember to take photo's as I go and will get a Photobucket album of the transformation up whenever I can.

Will post soon folks!
Pete from Glasgow

·
Registered
400 Posts
Eh, flamey forums aren't worth your time. We're no pros here, but decent folks for the most part.

I've never done a swingarm mounted fender, but been thinking about it for a long time, and done a good bit of research. It looks like the best way to do it is to weld a bracket onto the swingarm crossover, and bolt the fender to that. Then run a standard strut/sissy bar system for the back part like you would on a hard tail.

check out the Chopper Underground, loads of fantastic info there. Good folks, a bit snarky but generally truly nice and polite, and absolutely brilliant at fabbing stuff up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do, much appreciated. Just off nights shifts and going onto days next week so hoping to make some real progress this weekend, with or without sleep.

Have a welding contact ill need to throw a few beers I think as I've zero experience.

Thanks, will post updates soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I fixed mine to the swingarm with brass pipe clips bought from a plumbers merchant. Had to pack the clips with spacers to get them to grip the swingarm tight, and then used stainless bolts and nuts to bolt the alloy mudguard nice and close to the tyre. Th great thing is the clips (I think they're called munting clips?) have a screw thgread to adjust the distance of the pipe bracket from the base plate. It's worked out fine. If you look in the members gallery you will see my cream coloured bobber (Bobberstaffs) and see how it looks with that set up. Then I bent hollow steel bar to get the rear braces and flattened the end s in a vice to sit tight under the mudguard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts