Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of full protection does anyone worry about chest protection? I where a textile jacket, an Olympia renegade, with back, shoulder, and elbow armor. But, I notice very few if any jackets, if any, are designed with front armor. Why is that? Too hard to protect the rib cage, or maybe it would be too bulky or too hot? I see you can buy racing gear with this but not a general purpose riding jacket that I've seen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Riding gear protection seems to be a very personal thing, some wear none, some lots. Personally, I'm more concerned with road rash and pointy bits (elbows, knees, head) getting damaged, so chest protection isnt my cup of tea. I do wear good solid jeans (sometimes riding pants), over ankle boots, textile jacket, gloves and full face.

Joel

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Dave

I worry about getting hurt if I should have an accident so I wear those Bohn Armor top and bottoms under my "Slider" jeans and either leather or textile jacket, leather gloves, and my modular helmet. I had not thought about chest protection, but it certainly would add to my well being, but my risk analysis hasn't made that part of my ATGATT choice yet. I guess I see more of a chance of getting road rash and head injury than chest damage but I may be wrong. I look at those chest protectors as being more for off road or maybe track protection. Again I may be all wet with my thinking. Thanks for starting the thread. I certainly would like to hear more on this.

WEG

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ive never been one for wearing armor, but he last few years I've been wearing my leather jacket year round for every time I ride. As stated above, I'm more concerned over road rash then blunt impact trauma.
That being said, the one time I did go down in this jacket a few years ago, I hit pretty hard then got dragged by the bike as my foot got pinned by the engine.

The jacket is thick enough without armor that it fully absorbed the impact and handled the road rash very well. The sliders jeans I was wearing had the outer layer torn up, but the Kevlar liner held up just great.

For the jacket, I sanded the rough spots smooth then re-dyed the leather and the jacket looked almost good as new.

I was a little sore for a few days, but not a single mark on me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There are motocross chess protectors that are worn as a separate unit underneath your riding gear. I'm not sure how effective they are at higher speeds. Though; keep in mind, most accidents are very slow. And most people grossly over-report their speed. For example "I hit them going 40mph!" really means "I was doing about 40 and then locked up the brakes and slid into them at 15, but because of all of the adrenaline and fear I had no sensation of slowing down". The average vehicle accident occurs at 21mph.

This, by the way, is why proper braking is essential and 'laying it down' is absolutely ludicrous. Braking hard all the way to the point of impact and hitting at 15 is infinitely better than sliding on small metal bits and sliding into it (whatever "it" is) at 30.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WEG mentioned the Bohn Armor and there's also the similar ForceField products. Those look like the best solution for what I'm concerned with. Both are pricey but hey, it's not a cheap hobby and to skimp on protection if you can afford it and don't mind wearing it doesn't make much sense to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts