Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine comes on about 180 or so. 50/50 interstate and stop and go.

I try not to go that low even though I know that even when the light goes on I have about 1 gallon left. I have no desire to be stuck somewhere due to my own stupidity.
I usually gas up when the trip meter hits 160.

I do wish the gas gage worked better, because I would love to be able to rely on that and get a few more miles out of a tank on some longer trips. Oh well. If that is all I have to complain about then life is pretty good 'eh?

·
Registered
166 Posts
always between 200 and 210 and usually takes a little less than 4 gallons to fill. that is according to odometer and the speedometer is off a little. running a 170/80 15 on my custom which is taller than stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finally waited on light to come on and it first came on at 160 miles. Refueled at 165 and took 4 gallons

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got a 2007 900 classic about 3 months ago. Never even thought about the fuel gauge being inaccurate. It wasn't until I got back from a short trip and started wondering why, at startup, the coolant and fuel low lights never lit up like the oil pressure and fuel injection lights do when you first turn on the ignition.

That got me to going down a rabbit hole and finding threads about the inaccurate gauge.

I suppose my question is, without the resistor fix, does the light still come on with approximately one gallon left? Does this mean that without the fix, you could basically be riding around on a less than empty gauge, but the fuel level light would actually be accurate at approximately 1 gallon left?

Obviously there are motorcycles out there in the world that don't have a gauge but have a low level warning light. And this is the first motorcycle I've ever had with either a gauge or a light. I always went by the odometer.

However I can understand someone being concerned with depending on a low level light when their gauge has the needle far to the left of E.

So are we saying that the gauge itself is inaccurate, but would be accurate with the resistor fix, and that despite all else, the low level light is always accurate?

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey yall!....bike is a 12' with low miles, and i realized, since i been tuning her up, that the lite comes on with 2 gallons left in the tank, is that normal? at 50 mpg, that means i have abot 100 miles left?

The gauge is also low, all the way left at that point, shldn't it show as a quarter tank low? wondering if something wrong? any suggestions, much appreciated it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Liondog, for my 2013 900 classic LT, when the fuel light comes on, it takes about 4 gallons to fill the tank. So I have about 1.3 gallons left. I assume 40 miles left, which is a bit conservative. The fuel gauge reads about empty when the fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got my 270 ohm 1/2 watt resistors from radio shack yesterday. I'll run my full tank about a hundred miles on the odometer which should be right at 2 gallons which if the light comes on at about 1 gallon left I should be at about half a tank. I'll install the resistor and see if it levels out the gauge. Then I'll go get gas and see if it only holds two more gallons.

·
Registered
176 Posts
thanks guys, how do i know if my gas light works? I guess turn it to the 'on ' position....i never paid attention to it. I see it says empty by the gauge, insinuating its down to 1 gallon, but really , its 2 gallons at that point, therefore, i expect the guage to be at 1/4 empty......ok i guess i ll pay attention to 'fuel light ' now and see,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well the fuel light doesn't actually come on when you first turn on the ignition like a test light wood or should. I would recommend staying in town when you get really low on fuel and carrying a steel can of gas in a saddlebag just in case you run out. The gas light should come on at 1.3 gallons and you should get about 50 miles or slightly more at that point. I believe the gas light works as it should however the gauge does not.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Snn5, interesting. What I don't know about the 900 is how much unusable fuel there is in the tank. I have guessed (assumed) that the last .3 gallons is unusable, so 40 miles left when the fuel light comes on. I have never run out of fuel, so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Being fuel injected, if there is gas in the tank, then it is usable. However, as soon as that gas light comes on I would be looking for gas. Nothing like running a fuel injected engine out of gas.

·
Registered
485 Posts
In aviation, there is always unusable fuel in the tanks, that the fuel pickup cannot reach. This is so, whether the engine is carburated or fuel injected. It's usually a small amount, but is always mentioned in the manual, so the pilot always knows about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Want to formulate a distance/travel range for the fuel light kicking on. I know there will be a huge variance with the stock/modded bikes out there, its just for fun.

Mine comes on at approx. 165 -170 miles now after my latest fueling adjustment.
Yup, that's about right. 2010 Vulcan 900 custom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2019 Custom, came on this morning at 125 miles.
Mostly in city driving, less than 3000 miles total.
Not sure if I have hit max MPG yet

21 - 39 of 39 Posts