Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to formulate a distance/travel range for the fuel light kicking on. I know there will be a huge variance with the stock/modded bikes out there, its just for fun.

Mine comes on at approx. 165 -170 miles now after my latest fueling adjustment.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Mine comes on almost religiously between 200-205 miles on the trip odometer.

Kuryakyn Hypercharger, PowerCommander V, Sideburner exhaust.

·
Registered
643 Posts
180 - 190 miles. Michelin Commander II 170/80 rear. Everything else stock,.I am a little heavy on the throttle on acceleration. The MC2 rear tire corrected the speedo so distance on speedo now is less than what it would be with stock 180/70 tire mounted.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Unlike most I don't monitor my mileage at all. I simply look at the gauge and decide when to put gas in. I know that if the light comes on I have a gallon left in the tank, more than enough to fill up at my leisure. Now if I was planning a cross country trip, that might be a different story. Usually when I am on the road, I will fill up anytime under a half tank just to keep it topped off.

·
Registered
681 Posts
150-170 miles City
180-215 miles Hwy sub 80 mph speeds, If I am really hard on the throttle then 155-168
Speedo is off by less than 5%, ODO is spot on

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Are you wanting to know steady light on or when in first comes on intermittently? The earliest it's come on was at 165 miles, but was on only intermittently, and then went steady on at 171. Steady on has been 171 - 183 miles. I always fill up to the same level (just at the base of the fill tube). As I've said in previous posts, I really don't care what the light or gauge are telling me as long as I know I've been riding in my usual style. If I've been super heavy on the throttle over the course of a tank (i.e. riding at 75+) then I'll fill up as soon as I can. Otherwise I try to fill up before I have 200 miles on the trip meter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
180 - 200 miles depending on number of cold starts and speed

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
180 - 200 miles depending on number of cold starts and speed
Ahhh. Good point. Since I'm in the camp that lets the bike go to low idle before I take off, I can see where the number of cold starts can start to cut into the gas mileage.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about that also. I always wait until slow idle kicks in and sometimes longer because im fiddling around getting gear on. Guess that's why mine kicks on around 165. That and city traffic lights.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am older therefore old school. I still look at the miles rather than the gauge. I go about 180 miles and then get fuel. The light has not come on at that point. I know I can safely go 180 miles in all conditions so that is my bench mark. I usually add about 3.8 - 4.2 gals at this point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Light comes on around 200 miles like clockwork. If I'm doing highway speeds it comes on sooner. The light is accurate - when I fill up it takes right at 4 gallons

·
Registered
28 Posts
Light comes on for me intermittently around 260kms (~160 miles). That's commuting every day, mostly at 100kph, cold starts, not waiting until bike warms up.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I am older therefore old school. I still look at the miles rather than the gauge. I go about 180 miles and then get fuel. The light has not come on at that point. I know I can safely go 180 miles in all conditions so that is my bench mark. I usually add about 3.8 - 4.2 gals at this point.
I'm the same. Watch the miles. Riding Fri from Atlanta to DC, 205 miles, 4.7 gals and no light. I think it would have come on at approximately 50 yards after I started pushing. LOL. 65-70 mph.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I rarely let the fuel light come on. I don't pay attention to the fuel gauge at all. I know that 5 gallons will take me 225 miles (on average, I get 45 mpg), so I fill up when the trip meter is between 160 and 180. I usually put 3ish gallons in, so I know I am way under the limit.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Mine comes on when I'm the furthest away from my house.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts