Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to many Vulcan 900's around where I live. A lot of people ask me all the time, what is that? :cool:

What are some other comments people have made about your bike that made you laugh a little on the inside?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
A few weeks ago I had a guy follow me to a convenience store. He told me he followed me for several miles and wanted to look at my bike. He had been wanting a bike for a while and asked a ton of questions. My bike is stock but he was impressed and took several pics.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
People really don't know much about motorcycles, even other riders!

Went to a restaurant once with my CMA group and the waitress came to our table that someone on a white Harley had left their lights on. It was one of our riders white Yamaha's. To the general public, if it's a sportbike (or a dual sport bike), it's a Ninja. If it's a cruiser, whether V-Twin or even an inline-motor, it's a Harley.

Another friend of mine got himself a Kawasaki KLR650, dual sport machine. Single cylinder engine, sky-high seat, knobby tires. He posted a pic on facebook and the comments were mostly from some of his Harley buddies. "Yeah, now we'll see you doing wheelies down the highway!" "Nice crotch rocket!" and my personal favorite, "That one of them 200 mile an hour ones?". I guess to them this street-legal dirtbike was a ZX-14!

Parked my bike on a hill once, wasn't paying attention to the angle. Was a bear to back up the hill. Later, a riding buddy asked why I didn't hit reverse. "What?" "Oh, I thought the metrics all had electric reverse?" (I love all of the 'metric' stuff out there by guys who have only owned Harley's. OR, the Harley stuff thrown out there by adamant Metric riders!)

I could go on and on :p. It's all in fun, and I'm sure I've said a dumb thing or two! But I always get a chuckle. Bikes are so unique and different and half the time nobody knows what it is. I ride with a CMA chapter, have for about a year, and still to this DAY half of those guys can't seem to remember it's a Kawasaki. They think it's a Yamaha or a Honda :p.

Put a tour pak on my bike and apparently it changed the appearance enough that everyone was checking out my 'new' bike. Saying "What is it" and "Did you trade your old one (Or, Did you trade the Yamaha"). Cracks me up. Guess the Vulcan 900 is just a generic looking bike.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I'm a motors guy with the county. My truck clutch died the other day when I had to do a NASCAR detail. So, out came the Vulcan. At one stop light a HD guy (with suitable smiling pillion) pull up along side me and said "That don't sound like no Sheriffs Bike!" I chuckled, smiled back (at you know who) and rode off to work! Funny that I got as much traffic respect on the Vulcan as on the HD. And that is in a positive way. And it doesn't have Red and Blue lights on it!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
My Meanstreak is de-badged so there are no identifying labels on it at all.
I've been asked Is that a "Softail"? before. Most of the time I hear
"What kind of bike is that"? The best one was Will you marry me?
Because I just LOVE Harley Riders. LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stopped for gas a couple days ago where there were 3 Harleys off to the side who's riders were sporting their colors. One strolled over to my debadged classic to ask
"What the **** is it?"

My answer was "a motorcycle."

His response was "********* what kind?"

My answer was "a Vulcan"

He turned toward his buddies and yelled "said it's a ****** Vulcan."

One guy yells back "See ******* I told ya so"

and from that we all went our separate ways.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
People really don't know much about motorcycles, even other riders!

Went to a restaurant once with my CMA group and the waitress came to our table that someone on a white Harley had left their lights on. It was one of our riders white Yamaha's. To the general public, if it's a sportbike (or a dual sport bike), it's a Ninja. If it's a cruiser, whether V-Twin or even an inline-motor, it's a Harley.

Another friend of mine got himself a Kawasaki KLR650, dual sport machine. Single cylinder engine, sky-high seat, knobby tires. He posted a pic on facebook and the comments were mostly from some of his Harley buddies. "Yeah, now we'll see you doing wheelies down the highway!" "Nice crotch rocket!" and my personal favorite, "That one of them 200 mile an hour ones?". I guess to them this street-legal dirtbike was a ZX-14!

Parked my bike on a hill once, wasn't paying attention to the angle. Was a bear to back up the hill. Later, a riding buddy asked why I didn't hit reverse. "What?" "Oh, I thought the metrics all had electric reverse?" (I love all of the 'metric' stuff out there by guys who have only owned Harley's. OR, the Harley stuff thrown out there by adamant Metric riders!)

I could go on and on :p. It's all in fun, and I'm sure I've said a dumb thing or two! But I always get a chuckle. Bikes are so unique and different and half the time nobody knows what it is. I ride with a CMA chapter, have for about a year, and still to this DAY half of those guys can't seem to remember it's a Kawasaki. They think it's a Yamaha or a Honda :p.

Put a tour pak on my bike and apparently it changed the appearance enough that everyone was checking out my 'new' bike. Saying "What is it" and "Did you trade your old one (Or, Did you trade the Yamaha"). Cracks me up. Guess the Vulcan 900 is just a generic looking bike.
Ain't that the truth. I have come to notice there are not a lot of people that has a general knowledge of most motorcycles (not counting shop guys, but some of them qualify too).

The ninja comment made me chuckle a little to my self. My dad is one of those guys that called everything that has plastic sport fairing a "Ninja Bike".

I guess some people may think it is a "generic looking bike" but they have always been easier to pick out than other but I do tend to lean toward the kaws.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was at the MSF class this week and one guy in the class stated he wanted to get a 2005 HD for around $5,000.

"Good luck" I told him, as I've looked through every ad on CraigsList over the past couple of weeks and haven't seen an HD below the $8k mark unless it's a 1970's model.

So we start talking more and I tell him I bought a 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom for $5,400 with under 2k miles on it. Probably not the best offered price, but it was in great condition and the guy was a pleasure to do business with so what the hell. I showed him a picture and his face dropped. He was thinking a sport bike, not a cruiser.

I've gotten a lot of respect riding my Vulcan. Harleys and Crotch Rockets alike have waived me on in passing. A lot of looks at the stops.

She comes back from the shop this week (I hope!) and I'm looking forward to a few more miles before shutting her down for the winter.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I was at the MSF class this week and one guy in the class stated he wanted to get a 2005 HD for around $5,000.

"Good luck" I told him, as I've looked through every ad on CraigsList over the past couple of weeks and haven't seen an HD below the $8k mark unless it's a 1970's model.

So we start talking more and I tell him I bought a 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom for $5,400 with under 2k miles on it. Probably not the best offered price, but it was in great condition and the guy was a pleasure to do business with so what the hell. I showed him a picture and his face dropped. He was thinking a sport bike, not a cruiser.

I've gotten a lot of respect riding my Vulcan. Harleys and Crotch Rockets alike have waived me on in passing. A lot of looks at the stops.

She comes back from the shop this week (I hope!) and I'm looking forward to a few more miles before shutting her down for the winter.
That is sportster price. You can get them all day for that price down here.

Most people I have been around are not "Harley Snobs", its that select few that are that give them a bad name.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

You can get a nice, low mileage, newer 1200 Sportster for that price. I know cause I did.

I was coming out of a store once ready to board my 1500 Vulcan and a lady towing a 5 year old boy came up. She stated how much her son loves motorcycles and that he wanted to hear my horn. I said "I got two, the first is a Road Runner". The boy said "Road Runner"? He was so excited and laughed when he heard my stock horn. "Now the second is a Tug Boat" and I fired up the Bad Boy air horn. The little boy laughed again and I talked to them both for a while as they watched me pull away. Part of the fun of riding are peoples reactions and waving as they admire our scoots.

·
Registered
154 Posts
OK, you're right. I've seen a couple of sportsters for the $5k mark. I honestly didn't even look at Harley's when I was shopping. Nothing against the brand, but to me when I think of Harley's I think of people who feel the need to BRAAAG about Harley. They ride a Harley while wearing a Harley shirt and a Harley jacket over it. They have HD sunglasses. It's a bit much for me. Reminds me of people who wear the over-the-top Affliction or TapouT shirts but don't take MMA classes.

It's a bit douchey for me. Not saying all HD riders do this, but a lot of them feel the need to announce to the world that they're on a Harley.

It's like wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My wife and I were working on our bikes in the driveway, I have a 900 Classic and she has a Shadow Spirit 750. The lady asked if they were both 'Fat Boys', because her husband has one in their garage. The two bikes look nothing alike, the Shadow looks more like a custom than a calssic. I explained to her mine is a Kawasaki Vulcan and my wife's was a Honda Shadow. She seemed a little dissappointed that they weren't Harleys but meh. That same night, another neighbour walked by and looked at our bikes and said "Cool looking bikes!".

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also, not too long ago I saw a guy...

He had perfectly styled silver hair, the kind we all hope we get. He had a very nice HD and was with friends in a nice, above average income town. Had on an HD t-shirt, jeans with a crease and...

....and....

.......AND......

(I kid you not)

...a barb-wire style Jelly bracelet on his arm, in place of a real tattoo.

Yes, jelly bracelet. You know the things 10 year old girls wear? His was fake barbed wire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had people tell me "nice harley" when I am on my shadow spirit 750 quite a few times. It is debadged and not stock, but still. I always tell them thank you.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ok, the most surprising comment/question I've gotten was just a couple weeks ago. "Hey, how do you like your Victory?" I talked to guy a bit and it turns out he's owned 3 Vics and thought my 9er was a new model. In this case I figure it's the lack of push rods, wires and hoses that made him think Victory.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The "oh it's not a Harely" issue isn't just about bikes. My brother used to take his Toyota MRS2 to cruise nights in town. He ended up debadging it because he got sick of hearing "Oh, it's just a Toyota".

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I keep getting asked if I like my Victory. I just grin and say I Love my Kawasaki, then they really start the questions.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I am kind of surprised about the Victory comments.
I am really happy with my liquid cooled engine.
But, on looks; air cooled wins. And Victory really knows how to display their engine.

I alway love getting waves by little kids.

The best ego boost was when a carload of teenage girls were taking pics of my bike with their phones as I passed them on the hwy.

But the funniest was at a restaurant. I watched a group of guys with beards and kinda scummy clothes approach my 900 (not too close).
They moved erraticly looking it over; like kids investigating something they didn't quite understand.
Finally; one of them straightened up and I could lip read him telling the others it was a "Kawasaki".
I chuckled as they hurried away from the area.

Scott

1 - 20 of 61 Posts