Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
An absolutely gorgeous Triumph Bonneville 650 in what appears to be new, showroom condition. I don't believe it's a restoration. 1258 miles on the odometer! Probably a late 60's model.
Couldn't have been sitting there more than a couple of minutes---it doesn't look like there's a drop of oil underneath it. ;)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Don't think so. Not with drum brakes, etc..
Did it have a mechanical odometer?

All the new ones I've seen the gauges are a dead giveaway. New triumph logo, smooth type-face, shrouded in a very fluid nacelle (not a one-size-fits-all part like back in the day), digital odo, etc.

The other giveaway would be a petcock, as the news ones are fuel injected. (Though they did a fantastic job of making the whole throttle body setup look identical to the old carbs!)

Riders of Kawasaki Magazine recently profiled a guy who was rebuilding his childhood dirtbike, a little Kawasaki, from scratch. Buying all new parts, scavenging for leftover new replacement stock, etc. Had this 70's bike built from the ground up and was, for all purposes, brand new. Kinda neat!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you zoom the pics, it appears that there is a petcock directly above each carburetor, the old-looking Amal carbs by the way. Speedometer and tach drive cables clearly visible. Mechanical odometer numbers clearly visible while bike was parked. I think it's an old original bike!

Very very cool.

They did an excellent job of the new ones of making fake carbs to hold the throttle bodies on the newer models, to make it look the same. There is even a fake choke lever. But there isn't a petcock! I think we've got a winner here!

Very cool!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Why is the world in love with old things but I'm approaching the age where I'm in the way? :(

If I put fake hair on, stretch some wrinkles, get a tan, will someone love me and maybe pay me more? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Double cool!:)
Yea, what he said !! I had a 750 for a while and if memory serves me first gear was about worthless, nail the throttle and the front end went airborne, that would likely do that in third!
As a welder/fabricator I am envious of the weld/polish job done on marrying those primary covers.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah, it was a nice job. The cases looked like they were one piece. IIRC the owner didn't do it, rather bought it that way. It was set up to run on either engine or both. He kicked it over once and it fired right up on both engines, sounded good too. I wish I had better pics but at the time my phone only had a 2mp camera as compared to the 8mp one my wife has me carrying now.

Bob, those were taken last year at the Thursday Night Ride at the river at the Waterfront.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Not being well versed in the trumpets I wouldn't have a clue as to whether any factory pieces were offered to do that. Maybe it was originally destined as a Bonneville Salt Flats, No pun intended, bike

·
Registered
659 Posts
No, they were definitely made. I think my previous post muddied the water. The guy that was riding it that night purchased it from the man who did all the work. The story I walked up on was that he knew the guy who had made it from two 750's and after some coaxing was finally able to purchase it. The bike had been stretched 7" overall and the rear engine from the cylinder up had been rotated 180 degrees. The cases and covers had to be cut and welded to sit that close together. He said it draws a crowd wherever it goes. I believe he was from somewhere in N. Ky.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts