Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a car ahead going relatively slow & crossing the line so I passed quickly expecting to see a phone stuck to an ear, WRONG! Some lady was doing her hair with a curling iron!!!!!!!! :freaked-out:
That's what we get for putting 110v outlets in our cages....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Its simply amazing what folks do while driving! Twice, I've seen people eating out of a bowl using a spoon while driving.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I think texting is the worst. It's so easy to spot when you're riding, and can look into the side window and see them working their phones. I'd be the first to support a bill that has a penalty of $1000.00 for the first offense, and a ten-day mandatory jail term for the second offense.
That would at least cause drivers to think about not texting while driving.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Phones

I think texting is the worst. It's so easy to spot when you're riding, and can look into the side window and see them working their phones. I'd be the first to support a bill that has a penalty of $1000.00 for the first offense, and a ten-day mandatory jail term for the second offense.
That would at least cause drivers to think about not texting while driving.
Where's the "Like" button?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Multi-Tasking While Driving

Its been a while since I pulled up beside a car at a stop light and the lone driver was smoking a cigarette, putting on eyeliner after having angled the rear view mirror, talking on the cell phone, and drinking a soft drink all at the same light change. Naturally she couldn't do this all simultaneously but every time I saw a hand appear it had a different device in it!

Of course I pulled out ahead of her, as she wasn't ready to go when the light went green, and I got way out in front of her so as to limit her threat to me.

Worse case of driver distraction I have ever seen before or after!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Still say there should be some sort of local jammer in the car that disables cell phone use when the car is moving.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The craziest thing I ever saw somebody do while driving happened in San Diego about 10 years ago. I was driving my Jeep up I-15 going about 75mph when a van started slowly overtaking me. There was one person in the van, the driver, and he was holding a trumpet in one hand and driving with the other. I could see him for a minute or so and he never put it down. He was huffing and puffing and pressing the buttons like he was practicing.

Too bad people can't practice driving while doing other things.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I once saw a guy in a pickup weaving all over the road on the free way. I went to pass him and I saw he was on the cellphone, had a set of blueprints spread across the steering wheel and a laptop open on the center console.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Yeah, such as?

People managed for a long time without cell/mobile phones in cars, or was that before your time?

It would do a lot of people good to unplug for a while.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Used to have a 60 mile ride from ann arbor mi to warren mi, so saw a lot of crap including a lincoln driving slow and crossing lanes on m14 one day, pulled up to get past guy had a laptop mounted in the car and was using it and had a cell in his ear.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Just this past week I passed a furniture delivery truck going the other way. Was not a semi but still a big truck. The two young lads were eating chinese food in the little white cartons but were using CHOP STICKS! I shook my head at the driver and he just thought it funny and gave me a gooney face back. He was steering with his forearm while eating.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah, such as?

People managed for a long time without cell/mobile phones in cars, or was that before your time?

It would do a lot of people good to unplug for a while.
We managed for a a long time without cars too. And yes, before cars was before my time.

When everyone was distracted by yakking on their CBs back in the 70s did you feel that they should be banned? I remember riding around in my dad's pickup trying to talk on the CB while he fiddled with the knobs trying to fine tune the reception...while he was driving. Truckers spend far more time & put many more miles on the road than anyone...they've been communicating while driving for as long as there have been radios in vehicles. Did you feel then that CBs should have been banned?

There are already laws about driving while distracted on the books. Cell phones are an easy scapegoat as a distraction, but the truth is far more people are distracted by other activities (messing with the radio/cd/mp3 player, lighting a cigarette, eating, noisy kids, etc) than by cell phones.

We don't need more laws. More laws = more tax money to create & enforce those laws while at the same time taking time away from more important issues...and when those laws already exist (distracted driving, for example) there is no need to make a new law, which is then even more difficult for law enforcement to interpret & enforce.

Plus if you make a law about cell phones then you've got to make a law for every possible distraction while driving. Do we really want that? Most people aren't keen on the idea of a nanny state.

So we could just have a "distracted driving" law and leave it at that, which is what we already have.

At any rate, it's never going to happen so I don't need to get too invested in this discussion. The good outweighs the bad in this case. People are hyper sensitive to the issue of cell phones. You pass hundreds of people every day who are on their phones but you don't particularly notice because it's not reflected in their driving...but then you encounter that ONE person that day and *boom* no one should be allowed to talk on a cell phone in a car. Driver or passenger. That just doesn't make sense.

While you may be right that it would do a lot of people good to unplug for awhile, that's not up to you to decide.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think texting is the worst.
I drive the freeways of a major metro area every day and find that texting drivers are easily identifiable and similar in behavior to drunk drivers. I'm of the opinion that they should be treated the same.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
So we could just have a "distracted driving" law and leave it at that, which is what we already have.
I actually agree and don't want more rules on the books but clearly the personal responsibility angle doesn't mean squat these days. A law on the books that's not enforced is effectively no law.

And, about unplugging, what I post is always my opinion and I'll restate that opinion. People and society at large would benefit by unplugging a bit more often.

Also, no, you are dead wrong about more distractions than cell phones. While I do agree there are other distractions, the overwhelming majority of people I see yaking on the phone in their car are single occupants.

BTW, why is this in "General Vulcan" rather that The Lounge?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I actually agree and don't want more rules on the books but clearly the personal responsibility angle doesn't mean squat these days. A law on the books that's not enforced is effectively no law.

And, about unplugging, what I post is always my opinion and I'll restate that opinion. People and society at large would benefit by unplugging a bit more often.

Also, no, you are dead wrong about more distractions than cell phones. While I do agree there are other distractions, the overwhelming majority of people I see yaking on the phone in their car are single occupants.

BTW, why is this in "General Vulcan" rather that The Lounge?
Based on biased, hypersensitive observations you have made.

Unbiased data contradicts your observations. Here's a report from the NHTSA in September 2010 that states "People Injured in Crashes Involving
Driver Distraction

In 2009, an estimated 2,217,000 people were injured in motor
vehicle traffic crashes. The number of people injured during a crash with reported distraction in 2009 was estimated
at 448,000 (20% of all the injured people).
Table 3 provides
information about people injured in crashes with reported
distraction from 2005 through 2009.
In 2009, an estimated 24,000 people were injured in crashes
involving cell phones as a distraction. These injured people
only comprise 5 percent of all people injured in distractionrelated crashes.
Most of the people injured in distracteddriving-related crashes were involved in crashes in which
distraction or inattention was reported without known
details of the specific activity (43%). Note that there could be
more than one distraction associated with the crashes and
resulting injured people."

http://www.distraction.gov/download/research-pdf/Distracted-Driving-2009.pdf

Again, cell phones are an easy scapegoat because we all see someone on a phone who is driving erratically. What we don't see is how erratically that person drives when they aren't on a phone. Most likely they are just a crappy driver period & being on the phone makes it worse.

And I agree with people who say texting is far worse. It is. Talking on the phone doesn't take your eyes off the road. True, dialing does, but talking does not. Texting does take your eyes off the road...and sometimes it takes both hands off the wheels too.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Texting while driving should be on par with a DUI.
Not only do most people need to take their eyes off the road, but composing a message requires higher brain function. This reduces the amount left for spatial awareness.

Using a cell phone while driving should be done rarely; and only when driving conditions are easily managed.

It has been about 3 months since I have talked on my phone and drove. I waited until I was out of traffic, on a wide road that was in good repair. I used speed dial to call home, and my conversation lasted maybe 30 seconds.

My wife uses the cell phone from the PASSENGER seat often.
We have called police to report at least two VERY drunk drivers, and one car hauler that was creating a danger on the highway. Too bad the hi-po did not stop him, because he later caused a four car accident.

There was a case recently of a woman in Dallas that called the police to ask about the car behind her with flashing lights attempting to pull her over. Turned out he was a rapist, pretending to be a cop.

KWS makes a great point about truckers using CBs for decades.
The cell phone is not the problem, it is how SOME people use them.
We should do a better job at drivers education.

Whoaru99, I completely agree with 'unplugging'!
All of the face time that a lot of people are having with their technology is changing the way their brain functions.
Check out this article.
http://www.thetrumpet.com/article/7481.0.128.0/society/the-perils-of-screen-addiction-and-how-to-beat-it

Scott

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Based on biased, hypersensitive observations you have made.

Unbiased data contradicts your observations. Here's a report from the NHTSA in September 2010 that states "People Injured in Crashes Involving
Driver Distraction
In 2009, an estimated 2,217,000 people were injured in motor
vehicle traffic crashes. The number of people injured during a crash with reported distraction in 2009 was estimated
at 448,000 (20% of all the injured people). Table 3 provides
information about people injured in crashes with reported
distraction from 2005 through 2009.
In 2009, an estimated 24,000 people were injured in crashes
involving cell phones as a distraction. These injured people
only comprise 5 percent of all people injured in distractionrelated crashes. Most of the people injured in distracteddriving-related crashes were involved in crashes in which
distraction or inattention was reported without known
details of the specific activity (43%).
Note that there could be
more than one distraction associated with the crashes and
resulting injured people."

http://www.distraction.gov/download/research-pdf/Distracted-Driving-2009.pdf

Again, cell phones are an easy scapegoat because we all see someone on a phone who is driving erratically. What we don't see is how erratically that person drives when they aren't on a phone. Most likely they are just a crappy driver period & being on the phone makes it worse.

And I agree with people who say texting is far worse. It is. Talking on the phone doesn't take your eyes off the road. True, dialing does, but talking does not. Texting does take your eyes off the road...and sometimes it takes both hands off the wheels too.
I appreciate that you went to the length to post that information. It is very interesting. However, considering the report itself says 43% is unknown cause of distraction, I think it's not conclusive/necessarily representative of cell phone distraction.

Sure, 5% admit to or got busted for phone distraction, but there is 43% still floating without known cause (the people in the accident know, if they're alive they're not sayin' ). I think distraction by cell phone (inclusive of texting) is considerably underrepresented by 5%.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts