Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Arlen Ness big sucker intake today, it was really straight forward, great kit, and great price. A forum member suggested while I was at it to do the air hose marble and remove the secondary throttle plates. (thanks John I really appreciate the help, sorry I can't remember your name on here) the little Philips head screws that hold the throttle plates on are a bitch! John recommended to use an impact screw driver as the aluminum screws will strip out super easy. I took his advice but I borrowed my neighbors electric impact, no good! Stripped the screws and ended up having to drill em out. All said and done, the bike is indescribably better. No more pop, no throttle hesitation and quite a bit better acceleration, also downshifts are much more civil without the throttle hesitation. I have Vance & Hines slashcuts and a pcV, once I get a different tune on it should be real nice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Installed the Arlen Ness big sucker intake today, it was really straight forward, great kit, and great price. A forum member suggested while I was at it to do the air hose marble and remove the secondary throttle plates. (thanks John I really appreciate the help, sorry I can't remember your name on here) the little Philips head screws that hold the throttle plates on are a bitch! John recommended to use an impact screw driver as the aluminum screws will strip out super easy. I took his advice but I borrowed my neighbors electric impact, no good! Stripped the screws and ended up having to drill em out. All said and done, the bike is indescribably better. No more pop, no throttle hesitation and quite a bit better acceleration, also downshifts are much more civil without the throttle hesitation. I have Vance & Hines slashcuts and a pcV, once I get a different tune on it should be real nice.
Glad to here you got it done. Loading the map is the easy part, give me a shout if you need help on the software.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to here you got it done. Loading the map is the easy part, give me a shout if you need help on the software.
You know I will John! Thanks again probably gonna try loading the tune this Saturday. Still has what seems like a miss every once in a while at wot.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Dave may be on the road.

The secondary throttle plate mod is to completely remove the set of throttle plates that you can see with the air box removed. The 900 is FI and ECU controlled to the point that the throttle is controlled by the ECU to prevent a sudden surge of power, this set of plates is called the secondary set but is the first set in line. The ECU opens the plates in a controlled manner(slowly) for California Air pollution standards. A single screw holds each plate in. Not easy to remove as the screw is very small, aluminum and Lock Tite'd in. Removing the plates gives YOU control of the throttle and power.

To remove, get a hammer (NOT POWERED) impact screw driver and lightly tap until you feel the screw turn, do not try to force it, or the next tool you use will be a drill bit.

If you live in California I would suggest you forgo this mod.

Also have a map available for your setup if you would like a copy. But you will have to do the marble mod if not done already.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The secondary throttle plate mod is to completely remove the set of throttle plates that you can see with the air box removed. The 900 is FI and ECU controlled to the point that the throttle is controlled by the ECU to prevent a sudden surge of power, this set of plates is called the secondary set but is the first set in line. The ECU opens the plates in a controlled manner(slowly) for California Air pollution standards. A single screw holds each plate in. Not easy to remove as the screw is very small, aluminum and Lock Tite'd in. Removing the plates gives YOU control of the throttle and power.

To remove, get a hammer (NOT POWERED) impact screw driver and lightly tap until you feel the screw turn, do not try to force it, or the next tool you use will be a drill bit.

Also have a map available for your setup if you would like a copy. But you will have to do the marble mod if not done already.

Ride Safe.
Yup been drivin, I really didn't notice the hesitation that much until the plates were removed, the bike responds sooo much better. The downshifts are great now. Be very careful it sucked having to drill those screws out!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts

Ride Safe.
What would be the worry in California? We don't smog test motorcycles (at least not yet). And unless you pull the filter no one would be looking for the mod. Am I missing something to be concerned with in Calif?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Key phrase is NOT YET. With everything they are looking at (DOT APPROVED PIPES ONLY) it will not be to long before that sniffer gets shoved up tail pipes on two wheels. But hey i live in Texas and the yearly inspection takes 10 minutes, mostly to fill out the paper work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. I will try this. I know all about the small aluminum screws. I was into quads quite a few years ago now and the carbs on them were the same way. Thanks again.

Oh and I don't live in California. Dreary Pennsylvania here.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Key phrase is NOT YET. With everything they are looking at (DOT APPROVED PIPES ONLY) it will not be to long before that sniffer gets shoved up tail pipes on two wheels. But hey i live in Texas and the yearly inspection takes 10 minutes, mostly to fill out the paper work.
I hear ya. But they (state legislature) have debated this for 40 years. If it does come about it won't nessesarily impact current years, but future years (much like cars did back in the 70 models (most smog impacts started mid to late 70's) well after is was passed. As for the new exhaust regulations they don't start until 2014 models (I think) and it's more about noise levels. Plus, we still don't have annual inspections. Even with all the mods we can do, motorcycles run really well & clean and I think they see this in general.

But hey, anything can happen (like all airguns will have to be painted orange or green). Don't know if that one has passed just yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear ya. But they (state legislature) have debated this for 40 years. If it does come about it won't nessesarily impact current years, but future years (much like cars did back in the 70 models (most smog impacts started mid to late 70's) well after is was passed. As for the new exhaust regulations they don't start until 2014 models (I think) and it's more about noise levels. Plus, we still don't have annual inspections. Even with all the mods we can do, motorcycles run really well & clean and I think they see this in general.

But hey, anything can happen (like all airguns will have to be painted orange or green). Don't know if that one has passed just yet.
California's sure going off they deepend I was certain I needed a passport last time I was there.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
California's sure going off they deepend I was certain I needed a passport last time I was there.
LMAO..... :D I live here and feel the need to carry my passport. This state is a disaster. My wife and I have been looking (shopping) for a new state to relocate.... Understand I have lived here for more than 45 years and completely fed up with all the garbage. Thinking some where in the south (NC, SC, GA) have been high on the list. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I removed the secondary plates the other day after reading these posts. My screws were not very tight. In fact I didn't need a hammer or a impact screw driver. I went out for about a 90 mile ride yesterday and what a difference. I have to say this made the biggest improvement in my bike. Ditch those throttle plates. Don't even hesitate.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Pulled the Trigger

Okay, decided to give this mod a try (Calif and all), took all of 10 minutes. Had to be one of the easiest mods (besides the marble mod). I wasn't sure what to expect, but what a nice mod. 60 mile test ride.... Excellent throttle response, really smooth. No hesitation thru shifting or decel. Also, removed the remaining popping. No fault lights. Bottom line great, easy and free mod. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I must be dense. But, do any of you have pics. I'd like to make absolutely sure what I'm doing before I try this.
sounds like a nice mod.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I must be dense. But, do any of you have pics. I'd like to make absolutely sure what I'm doing before I try this.
sounds like a nice mod.
I too was apprehensive, but found this thread with some pics (page 7, post 64) http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6716

It's really an easy mod, just make sure you use the correct tip philips screw driver, then lightly tap the top of the screw driver to loosen the lock-tite. Then apply pressure (not a lot) while turning the screw. Mine did not seem tight and broke loose easily.

Once out you'll see the primary throttle plates that are controlled by the throttle (your input). The secondary plates (which your removing) are controlled by the ECU (from what I understand), and really seem to serve no other purpose but to restrict air flow. In all the cars I have owned I have never seen secondary plates when a throttle body is used. Take a look at the pics and I think it will all make sense. Hope this helped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts