Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arkansas is really hard on tires lots of crooked and steep chip and seal roads.

My Classic LT has 3994 miles on it and the back tire is completely bald.

My local bike shop will sell me a 200 Metzler for $236 or a Pirelli Night Dragon

for $208 the fronts are roughly the same. The problem is getting only 4000

miles out of a tire is unacceptable. So which tire will give the best me the

best mileage in these harsh conditions but still give a good ride and

performance, and would the metzler be worth $ 30 more.

$ 400 bucks for two tires installed is really pissing me off.

:skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would suggest a GENERAL ALTIMAX HP 195/65/15 100% fit, I have 7K miles on mine and looks new. I swapped out at 5k, yup concrete roads rip up tires to. Oh and $65 is what i got it for shipped to my door. Tirerack.com.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have about 4k on my Dunlop, and she's almost done too. 3mm wear left on it. Just hoping I got 2000 more in her so I don't have to change the tire before our trip next month.

Buddy of mine has a Metz on his rear, and has 7k on it so far, and thinkin he'll pull 10k out of it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've got 10k on my Metz Marathon rear, and a few thousand miles left in it. Granted, we're mostly aspahalt/concrete here, and no tough hills, but it's performed amazingly better than the stock Dunlop.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
No way i'd spend that much money on a motorcycle tire unless i was putting it on the race track. That's ridiculous.

If you don't want to go Darkside on the rear, look at some Pirelli MT 66's. They're quite a bit less expensive.

What ever tire you choose, make sure of the compound. Don't go with a 'sport' tire, the compound is too soft and will wear out quickly. Get a 'cruising' or 'touring' type of tire.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So far so good

Way to early for me to tell the difference in the stock 404 and 880. Ozark did the track from Harrison 43 south 21 through Boxely/Ponco all the way to Clarksville and tracked over to Conway on 40. Then back north. Tire was great but I am more impressed of the out come of going to a 200 over the stock, helps the bike so much overall. I hope that as and AR brother I do not have to report back at least until mile 8500 + for next rear tire, time will only tell :D

Arkansas is really hard on tires lots of crooked and steep chip and seal roads.

My Classic LT has 3994 miles on it and the back tire is completely bald.

My local bike shop will sell me a 200 Metzler for $236 or a Pirelli Night Dragon

for $208 the fronts are roughly the same. The problem is getting only 4000

miles out of a tire is unacceptable. So which tire will give the best me the

best mileage in these harsh conditions but still give a good ride and

performance, and would the metzler be worth $ 30 more.

$ 400 bucks for two tires installed is really pissing me off.

:skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton::skeleton:

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I've got about 16000 miles on my front Metzler, and changed out the rear 880 at about 14,000. I've been down to Arkansas south of Branson now twice on some runs from St. Louie, so although they haven't been continuously on Arkansas roads, I live in Desoto on a main road that is chip and seal... so I believe it is comparable.....So for the money, the Metzlers have been well worth the extra $30 bucks..... If you keep having issues with the tires, I would suggest picking up a used tire changer off of ebay. A buddy of mine bought one last year and now changes all the tires in our little MC Micky-D's group for free and saves us a lot of money.......

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Thanks Everybody, Leaning towards the Metz will post an update when I pull the trigger.
FWIW, based on eyeballing, I'm not going to get any more, or not any signifiantly more, miles from the Metz 880 I have now vs the OEM Bridgestone. Rear tires for me seem to last ~5K miles, give or take, no matter what brand, on both my crotch rocket and VN2K.

I think tire life is largely a factor of driving style and conditions. If you're a 5K/tire person it doesn't matter too much what brand you get. If it's the same general style of tire and don't change your driving habits or condtions you're going to get about the same tire life (IMNSHO) ;).

·
Registered
851 Posts
I got the Pirelli's MT66 on front and back and after about 10,000 miles i still have about half the life still left on the back. I'm very happy with them, and I only paid about $180 for both tires. I changed the tire myself, and took them in to have them balanced $30. I love to work on my bike and save money.

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1 on the Pirelli MT 66's.

I got 7700 on the stock Dunlop rear tire, and 8700 on the front. I might be able to live with the lower mileage if I thought they handled better. But they definitely do not.

I now have 13,700 miles on the bike, so the rear Pirelli is at 6,000 and the front is at 5,000. Wear has been minimal on the back, and I estimate at least 5,000 more miles on it. There is very little wear at all on the front, so I wouldn't be surprised to get 10,000 more miles on it. The handling was amazingly improved from the first tire change!

Most of my riding is on Georgia/North Carolina/Tennessee mountain back roads, but I ride the slab to work about twice a week. So the tires get a good mix of hills, curves and slab.

I went with the Pirelli's because of their good reviews on here, combined with a lower price than the Metzlers. I don't regret it, and will be replacing with the same brand when I need to. :D

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I think tire life is largely a factor of driving style and conditions. If you're a 5K/tire person it doesn't matter too much what brand you get. If it's the same general style of tire and don't change your driving habits or condtions you're going to get about the same tire life.

yup,, them oazarks do tend to bring out the yeehaww in a fella w/a powrfel motorskooter. will eat up them tayers right quik like. only hope is bendin her over and workin them sidewalls a fair piece ta stretch some more miles outa her... or just go ez on the gurl and putt putt up n down all them hills. if you play, yous got to pay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think tire life is largely a factor of driving style and conditions. If you're a 5K/tire person it doesn't matter too much what brand you get. If it's the same general style of tire and don't change your driving habits or condtions you're going to get about the same tire life.
Sorry, but I disagree. I spent 6 years as a quality control inspector in a tire plant, and there are many factors that go into tread life. Driving style, tire construction and tread rubber compound are just a few of those factors.

And as I said above, I will probably get twice as many miles on the Pirellis as I got on the stock Dunlops, and I don't believe my driving style or conditions changed since I bought them.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Driving style, tire construction and tread rubber compound are just a few of those factors.

aa, if you read the thread you'll see am quoting anothers post. driving style as you attest is a factor. when that style is.. ahemm, aggressive.. tires.. an gas.. just seem to dissappear. now I know, you might not see the funnin' in it, bein inspector Kluso n all..

as for my own 'sperience,, some tires are krap. not naming names but their intials are stok brikstones.. and yeah, some an some dun-laps. BUT,, I get muey many miles outa most my tires as am muchly more how dyoo say ez on the throttle n brakes n such. the Metz have served me well on a dozen big bikes for 'prox 300k miles. Have had some good service w/Michy PowerRoad on my zip-splat. otterwise, keepin outa the throttle will yield high(r) mileage.. tires n gas, cetera. inspector ponchorilla out

·
Registered
358 Posts
FWIW, based on eyeballing, I'm not going to get any more, or not any signifiantly more, miles from the Metz 880 I have now vs the OEM Bridgestone. Rear tires for me seem to last ~5K miles, give or take, no matter what brand, on both my crotch rocket and VN2K.
I'm guessing a VN2K is gonna chew up any tire much quicker than my 900, but the Metz's are worth the price for the handling alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Metzler Marathon is the way to go. My OEM tire went bald well before 5K miles. Pirelli MT66 lasted a bit more, maybe 6K miles. Now I am on Metzler Marathon and still going strong after 8K miles. I guess they will last close to 10K miles.
In addition, the Metzels are by for the best grip both wet and dry on this bike, so no for me this is the ultimate VN 900 tire.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too am facing the “Which Brand” dilemma. I suspect that I’ll soon be replacing my stock tires. That’s why I pay attention whenever this thread comes up. When my turn comes, I will already have settled on a tire and will just need to find a good price. I have just fewer than 6K miles on my current set, but they are still in excellent condition. I would be surprised if I didn’t get another 3-4K miles without risking safety. I would definitely attribute much of my tire longevity to my riding style and the roads condition in my riding area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts