Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of planning a trip to the Mountain Home area of Arkansas in September. Anyone close to that area?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If ya go to AR via MN, lemme know. ;) :D
LOL, actually ya never know about us, there's 6 of us that are close friends that do alot of riding, we're always looking for someplace to go:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Detour through southern WV----you wont ever be sorry you did!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things are starting to come together:D It looks like we're heading out on Thurs., Sept. 25th. Nothing is set in stone yet, but we know we'll be going into KC, MO, probably around 10am. From there we'll head south, either to Joplin or Springfield, haven't decided which yet. If there's members along the route I'd love to stop and meet you and maybe ride some of the local roads. We're not really on a set schedule, if there's members along the way we can always stop for a night wherever and continue on to Mountain Home on Friday or just ride through to Mountain Home on Thursday. We plan on doing alot of riding in the Ozarks and taking in as much site seeing as we can. Branson, Silver Dollar City, etc., are out, we're not into the big tourist attractions. We just want to see the small town, back road stuff. We'll be heading back sometime Sunday the 28th or Monday the 29th. If you're on the route we'd love to meet up:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fifty miles southwest of Little Rock, the spa town of HOT SPRINGS nestles in the heavily forested Zig Zag Mountains on the eastern flank of the Ouachitas. Its thermal waters have attracted visitors since Native Americans used the area as a neutral zone to settle disputes.
-------------
nickysam

Arkansas Drug Addiction

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know if we'll get to Hot Springs or not. Right now the plan is to run straight thru to Gamaliel to the cain we've rented on Thurs. the 25th. That'll be the biggest day for us, 500 miles. Nothing planned for Friday the 26th. We're meeting up with some other riders from MotoList for MotoMeetAR '08, probably late Friday. Do lots of riding with them on Sat. and start heading for home on Sunday. We've got Monday off so our return plans are flexible.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Don't know if we'll get to Hot Springs or not. Right now the plan is to run straight thru to Gamaliel to the cain we've rented on Thurs. the 25th. That'll be the biggest day for us, 500 miles. Nothing planned for Friday the 26th. We're meeting up with some other riders from MotoList for MotoMeetAR '08, probably late Friday. Do lots of riding with them on Sat. and start heading for home on Sunday. We've got Monday off so our return plans are flexible.
500 miles day huh? Me thinks someone is gonna have a sore hind quarters. :D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
500 miles day huh? Me thinks someone is gonna have a sore hind quarters. :D
Yup:D I've done a couple 400 mile days and it wasn't too bad, a little sore, but not bad. I think my wife will be worse off than me, I still have the stock seat on the meanie, there's not much there for the passenger. I think my youngest will be hurting the worst, he doing the ride on a '82 Honda V45 Sabre:eek: The cabin we rented has wireless internet so hopefully we'll be able to post some pics from the road.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Yup:D I've done a couple 400 mile days and it wasn't too bad, a little sore, but not bad. I think my wife will be worse off than me, I still have the stock seat on the meanie, there's not much there for the passenger. I think my youngest will be hurting the worst, he doing the ride on a '82 Honda V45 Sabre:eek: The cabin we rented has wireless internet so hopefully we'll be able to post some pics from the road.

Looking forward to your trip reports and some pics. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 weeks out! I can't wait :D Got our reservations made for a cabin in Gamaliel Ar. for Sept. 25, 26, 27, and leaving for home on the 28th, run half way home on the 28th, finish the trip on the 29th. We plan on hitting Bikes, Blues, & BBQ in Fayetteville for at least a day on the 26th(thanx for the heads-up 900kawgirl!). I'm also on a e-mail list called the MotoList, they're having their annual MotoMeet Ar. that weekend as well so we'll check that out too. It should be pretty interesting, seems like most of the motolisters ride sport-touring bikes. Got our cold weather/wet weather gear ready, getting tires on 2 of our bikes next week, then we're ready!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arkansas Trip

I live just north of Springfield,Mo. and will be attending the Bikes,Blues and B-B-Q on Friday and Saturday..If you come thru my part of the country before friday afternoon let me know. I am usually pretty free during the day, as I work nights...Have a safe trip and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Less than 8 hrs away from the road trip!!!! I can't wait, probably won't sleep well, we're pretty excited to get going. Got a new tire on the meanie(190/50/17 Avon Storm)changed the final drive oil over to Amsoil tonight, we're packed and ready to go!!:D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We're outta here!!:D We have a 500 mile day ahead of us and it's gonna be great! They say they have wi-fi at the cabin, if that's the case I may make a couple updates to our trip along the way:) 5 days, 4 bikes, and nothing but riding planned, my wife and I on my meanie, my oldest son and his girlfriend on his VN900, my youngest son on his '82 V45 Sabre, and very good friend of the family on his VN 900, this is gonna be a blast!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like this is gonna be a great trip for you guys.
Have fun and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey all! What an adventure this turned into!! There was no internet at the cabin so sorry for no trip updates. Arkansas is absolutely incredible riding, the Bikes, Blues, BBQ in Fayetteville was an incredible experience, I've never seen so many bikes in one place before. Right now we're sitting in a hotel in Neosho Mo, gonna run the final 300 miles tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics up this week once we get home along with a trip report. Some highlights, scraping pegs on the meanie for the first time in th twisties in Arkansas, that was wild! The meanie is great in the turns:D Unforunately the trip didn't quite go as planned, we were running some tight twisties on Saturday, my youngest son on his Honda V45 Sabre went into one way too hot, panicked, and lowsided at about 50 mph(it was a 15 mph turn). He's fine except for a bruised shoulder and little road rash, he got an ambulance ride out of the deal and some xrays just to make sure. The bike wasn't as lucky, as it was sliding it caught a tree limb lying in the ditch and took a branch throught the radiator, bent up handle bars, busted up air box, and snapped the front brake lever off, the bike's still in Arkansas at a friends. Jayson is riding passenger on our friends VN900 so we're traveling a little slower than normal. Just thought I'd pop in for a quick update.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow! Glad to hear Jayson is alright. Hope he doesn't get too down on himself for it. It happens to the best of us at times. Live and learn I say. Glad you guys are having a great time otherwise. I would have loved to ride along with.
I look forward to the pics.
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Within a couple hours he was ready to ride again:D There was some very experienced riders with us and we went thru all of his actions leading up to the crash, going too fast, letting off the throttle, and hitting the brake all at once, instead of just leaning into it and trusting his tires to do their job. As he was braking he was also going to wide and once he hit gravel it was over. Now he's just po'ed that we had to leave his bike in Arkansas and he has to ride on back of a bike with another guy, lol. It's a good excuse to go back and ride in Arkansas though! Well, it's time to get packed and get on the road, L8R!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Onto the pics-

We'll get the crash out of the way 1st, lol

At least he was smiling before the EMT's arrived-

EMT's doing their thing, the guys there were awesome, they were on the scene quick-

How he managed to get out of everything without a ticket was amazing, no cops ever showed up, either at the scene or the hospital.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts