Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arkansas Gettyup planned for Sept 4th (arrive) thru the 7th (depart) in Harrison Arkansas.

If interested in goin chime on in, banjos are optional but highly recommended survival gear

Meet up headquarters for the weekend event at Shady Oaks Campground (870-743-2343)

Primitive cabins 55/night,, or modern cabins 95/night with plumbing, as well as tent camping sites. Shower houses/bathrooms available.

Campsite link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sha...erizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8

Recommended ride link

Motorcycling - Harrison Arkansas

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Primitive cabins 55/night,, or modern cabins 95/night with plumbing, as well as tent camping sites. Shower houses/bathrooms available.
I plan to bug out Friday noon. Harrison is a stretch, but have done that run b4. more than once. it is outstanding mc riding.

I will book a cabin for 3 nites fri-sat-sun. if anybody wants to rent out some floor space, there are 3 beds and a couch.. w/kitchen n bathroom. porch n fire pitt, outside.

we should ask and see if there are cabins next to each other or? poncho

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I think they only have the one full cabin and two camper cabins (no bathroom, etc.) so if you're interested you might want to go ahead and reserve the cabin/tent spot.
The Days Inn broke down to around $66.00/night for two queen beds. I haven't stayed there before, so reserve at your own risk.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan to bug out Friday noon. Harrison is a stretch, but have done that run b4. more than once. it is outstanding mc riding.

I will book a cabin for 3 nites fri-sat-sun. if anybody wants to rent out some floor space, there are 3 beds and a couch.. w/kitchen n bathroom. porch n fire pitt, outside.

we should ask and see if there are cabins next to each other or? poncho
Beware fur rocks! :grin2:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Beware fur rocks! :grin2:
BearWare.. furr rox?.. rox gott furr? are you guys wanna camp and tell stories aroun the fire pitt or just get hotel an :beer: an tell lies in the parking lott? daze inn are fine.

is Harrison too far north? ther be other jump off spots south.. it is primo ride territory and clos nuff to Mis'ery if anybody wants to jump the border. plenty fishin n swimming holes for banjo playin wild hoggs.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BearWare.. furr rox?.. rox gott furr? are you guys wanna camp and tell stories aroun the fire pitt or just get hotel an :beer: an tell lies in the parking lott? daze inn are fine.

is Harrison too far north? ther be other jump off spots south.. it is primo ride territory and clos nuff to Mis'ery if anybody wants to jump the border. plenty fishin n swimming holes for banjo playin wild hoggs.

Weez goin tampin dammmit and lookin fur furry rocks. Only gta half gal of hooooch left, better make some more

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
so I did booked the big cabin. with shower and kitchen. it has room for 4. so says Lea, she took my munny. it is next to camping and fire pits.
figured the :beer: would stay kold in the Frigidaire. 'parently this rustic cabin has a/c? .. so for now it is a green lite, this joint.

would be good to get some maps of the territory. ther are more places to go see and outa site roads to ride.. should be able to get a couple good ones outa the bunch.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
one the benne fitts of renting a cabin with kitchen is we can buy groceries at the corner market and fix breakfast and grill up steaks for dinner. it saves a ton of restrant money and we spend more time around the fire telling bigger whoppers than the last next guy. poncho

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm gettin sooooo jealous right now, gonna have to make up my own ride 4 those days or else I might slash my wrists.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
They would not let me through the airport in my new and improved riding gear :(

Seriously though. I would love to see Arkansas from a bike. But from my bike. That means a longer trip for me, that I can't make in fall. @chanoc1077 and I have only 4 days. (or so) Maybe I can convince him to ride Sierras. (Augmented route of course)

I wish you guys have some fantastic time!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
don't knock the fly n ride program. I have done it more than a few times. it fills that niche when you want to ride somewhere but cant cut the time for an Xcountry haul azz. (reference Truk and/or trailer, 2up driving)

having done this numerous times, I would highly recommend NOT renting Hardleys. yes they are most available and yes you get to ride one those washing machines you always dreamed you would.. mebbe for that one reason alone, do it, just to get it out of yor system and forever forget about it..
but now other bikes are becoming available (japs in particular) and they being not as Expensive or prone to mechanical breakdowns and maintenance, the daily rent fees are a tad on the more reasonable side. you can expect to pay $150 day- $1k week for a hardley and that is NOT with the extra insurance they push hardley.
even with their $25day insurance yor still on the hook for the first 2-3k damages. in the event of a major mishap, yor better off to ditch it and file it as stolen. somebody else musta wrecked it.

back to fly n ride. do it. you will reconsider those far away places for a weekend ride or better yet when traveling for work, stay a few extra daze and ride the back country.
once you get over past your affinity for riding "your bike" exclusively as tho that is the only experience worth having, you will open up a whole nuther set of adventure..

btw, rent includes helmet and rain gear. leave that home. pack lite, pack rite.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I won't be staying up there but would love to come for a ride.. I can ride up from home and go for the day.. What's the route?? Hwy 7?? 65?? 123??

Pittsbugh Dave

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I won't be staying up there but would love to come for a ride.. I can ride up from home and go for the day.. What's the route?? Hwy 7?? 65?? 123?? Pittsbugh Dave
pd,, yes! or mebbe we don't know yet? 7 is kick, any back road off the main road (yellow) two lane blacktop,, you almost cannot go wrong. they are all twisted like some sisters.. I was waiting for some locals (zigg?) to chime in with their preferred rides or destination b4 taking over this ride (agin) and leading these pak ratts to a cheese wheel. Butt you are mor n welcome to join the fray an toss yor luck in with this motley krew of ner'dowells.. if you gott a special road to ride, offer it up.. we will give it all of 5 min consideration b4 laffing and going another way.. or not? poncho

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mystic map of scenic by ways courtesy of Ponch0.

And I vote fur Zig to be the ohhfficial campsite cook! He IS equipped with the MOOBS ya know, he's nutton to look at, but ima betn by the size of them MOOBS that he CAN COOK!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I live an hour from Harrison but am out of state the entire weekend. Out of Harrison Hwy 7 is great all the way to Hot Springs. Honestly, Eureka Springs, AR would probably be a better base. That's just my opinion though. Harrison has a good motorcycle ride brochure.

Motorcycling - Harrison Arkansas

https://www.facebook.com/RideTheOzarks?fref=ts

Hwy 412 out of Harison to Mountain Home, AR (Eat at Nima's Pizza) to Hwy 5 South to Calico Rock then south to Mountain View, AR (Mountain View has live music every Saturday night in the town square. just a bunch of different people picking different songs etc... It's cool.) Then head back NW to Fifty-Six towards Push Mountain on Hwy14/341. Those are all cool areas.

The other direction take Hwy 7 South and get to Oark, AR however you deem fit. Visit the Oark General Store and then hit Hwy 23 aka the Pig Trail back up to Eureka, Springs. Also Hwy 43 out of Harrison towards Ponca then to Hwy 21 is a good ride.

Harrison is a touch lame but it is a wet county. Still dry counties sporadically in AR. Just not much going on in Harrison. Neighbors Mill is a good place to eat sandwiches etc...I always tell people that Harrison's claim to fame is they have the only good Western Sizzlin in the world.

If you think you might venture into Missouri, let me know and I'll tell you some places.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Mystic map of scenic by ways courtesy of Ponch0.!
thems are just some the main type roads. the RED dot in the middle is the camp.
hey you coulda at least rotated the map and made it a fair piece bigger?
suggested,
Day 1 ride;
Bkfst at campsite
South 7 from Harrison to Dovet
East 27 -16 to Clinton
North 9 to Allison or Mammoth Springs, mo?
lunch?
North 14 to Yellville to Omaha or Hollister, mo?
South 63 to Harrison to Camp Site
grill up steaks n toss back kold frosty :beer:s

Day 2 ride;
Bkfst at campsite
go S x W, am working on it

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
cm, have done the Hotsprings-Wilmena runs so many times its, how can it get, boring? and yes its full of peeps, even a ton of mc peeps..
the several few times Ive been in the Harrison section of Ark have found it less crowded and just as outstanding scenery. so that was why that suggestion. S.Misery is not far so if the boyz wanna take a run at one yor banx up there, we can duck back b4 dark30..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely gta go see the general store in Oark! They got PIE Ponch0!!! an ICECREAM!!!! A fat man's paradise!!!!:grin2:

Oark gen store:
Home

1 - 20 of 245 Posts