Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a company, other than Works Performance, that offers full length shocks with higher spring rates? I have installed Race Tech springs and Gold Valves in the forks plus tuned the stock shocks as best as I can and the rear end is still bouncy. These shocks feel more than under-damped, they need stiffer springs. My searches only turn up shorter shocks and I need all the cornering clearance I have; I sure don't want to lose any by lowering the bike.

I understand that many will say to get the Works Performance but I want to know if there are other options.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
You have 43 psi in the shock and the pre-load set at 4 and you think the rear is still too bouncy? In Florida?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had a set of Öhlins shocks installed on my Voyager, and they're fantastic. Stock length, and good for any load, one-up or with a passenger. A huge improvement over OEM.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You have 43 psi in the shock and the pre-load set at 4 and you think the rear is still too bouncy? In Florida?
At 43PSI those shocks will fail it's just a matter of time. I'd go with what Peg said about Ohlins. Some the best shocks money can buy and you will spend on them.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
At 43PSI those shocks will fail it's just a matter of time. I'd go with what Peg said about Ohlins. Some the best shocks money can buy and you will spend on them.
I would never run at 43 psi, but the rear gets pretty stiff with pressures in the higher range and the pre-load on 4. No doubt you can get a smoother ride with a better set of shocks, but he said it was "still bouncy". I'm a big guy (270 lbs) and I find 20 lbs and a pre-load of 3 to be just fine even on rough roads. Of course, others may think that is still too soft. I guess I just should have asked what pressure and pre-load he has it at now, but I was in a bit of a sarcastic mood the nite I wrote that. 0:)

'Course, he could just replace the shocks with a metal brace and make a hard tail out of it! :devil2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Progressive shocks are all shorter and lower the bike. No good.
2. I'm not sure whet you got 43 psi from, maybe an old post. I currently run about 7-10 psi and 4 for damping. Yes, it is still bouncy.
3. Which Ohlins socks? Are you sure that the springs are stiffer?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am 180 lbs. and run 7-10 psi preload plus have the dampers set at 4. My comments about cornering clearance should tell you that I sometimes ride aggressively. The bike rides fine over small bumps, it's over dips when the RaceTech front end recovers beautifully and the stock rear shocks bounce like a pogo stick. I could increase the preload to 39 psi but that results in a harsh ride. Since I mostly ride alone I am looking for a higher spring rate so that I can keep the preload low and still make use of the wheel travel.

Chances are that my next touring bike will be a sport tourer like the Concours. But that is probably 5-7 years away.

Thank you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ohlins

I had a set of Öhlins shocks installed on my Voyager, and they're fantastic. Stock length, and good for any load, one-up or with a passenger. A huge improvement over OEM.
Please post Ohlins shock model # installed on your Voyager. Thank you

·
Registered
670 Posts
Please post Ohlins shock model # installed on your Voyager. Thank you
They were installed by a shop, and while I know the model number (HD146, for a Sportster), I'm not sure what they had to do to get the bushings to fit. I've found the mounting instructions & owners manual... The shock length is 360.5mm, stroke 105mm, and the spring part number is 00480-01, rate 15-24 N/mm.

If I could find the invoice I would check if the bushings were listed... Can't find it sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts