Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to beef up my 900. Does anyone know of any performance parts available??

·
Registered
295 Posts
You're probably only going to find intakes/air filters, pipes, and fuel processors for the 900. Remember the line in "Jaws", "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat?" If you want more power than the above mods will get you, there are bigger bikes with as much power as anyone could want.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The consensus around here (this thread pops up alot) is that the best way to get power is to do the 'big three', intake, exhaust, and fuel processing. Doing that will get you a little boost in power. But, my own personal observation, people start these threads, get the big three, and are STILL looking for more power. If you're just looking for a little extra oomph, you can do it, if you're looking to get serious performance, you'll probably be happier on a bigger bike.

There IS a guy who makes a turbo kit for the VN900. Last I recall, it was around 2 grand. Google the Vulcan 900 turbo. I will try and find a link later but, that's probably going to be your biggest performance gains you can possible get for the 900. If I may offer my own personal opinion though, if you're going to spend upwards of $2,000 (because you'll still need fuel processors, probably exhaust components, etc.), for performance, performance that could reduce the life of your engine, then just trade your bike in, +$2000, for something a little bit bigger. The guys around here with Vulcan 2000's seem to feel like it's got all the power in the world. I'd also bet that a 900 with that homemade turbo kit has less power than a V2K. Don't know that for a fact, I'd have to look into it, but if I were in that boat that's what I'd do.

Of course a 900 turbo would be awfully unique. The guy who makes the kit is the only person I've heard of to actually have it. Not sure if he's ever sold anyone the kit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Right hand, twist harder, let her rev. Remember, a 903cc engine will in no way run on the low end like a 1440cc, 1575cc, or a 1690cc (HD 88, 96 and 103 cid) engine.

Here is a vid of the turbo 900

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOW...that is ugly!!!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I read somewhere its putting 79hp at the rear wheel, but it sure is butt ugly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You will never make a V6 Mustang outperform a V8 so if adding a fuel processor, intake and exhaust is not enough then maybe upgrading could be the only solution.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think this is part of our problem with the 900 series......we have the expectation going in that, being a V-Twin, we have a smart man's HD. Yet, when we try to ride like she is a larger displacement HD, we become a little disillusioned because we don't understand yet that, although we may look like we have a Dyna Super Glide or a Road King, we do not have the displacement to ride like one.

I struggled with this the beginning of last year when I first purchased my bike, to understand that I could not ride in the same style like my friend and his Ultra Classic 96 cid Stage I, meaning I couldn't lug the engine in the classic HD style. It took me a while to remember my old KZ550 LTD loved to rev and not lug. When I applied this thought process to my V9D, many an joyful mile miraculously appeared.

Case in point. On a ride last year through mountain passes, I found myself second in line behind another Ultra Classic 96 Stage III. When we got into the real twisty, uphill/downhill sections, the other rider would use both lanes on this two laner to really have some fun; I could just about keep up with him by just staying in my rut (I am by no means a super accomplished rider; just average). The rest of the group of Springers, GLs, Softails, etc, couldn't even keep up with the two of us. The only time I really struggled to keep up with this Ultra Classic was on the uphill sections; I was really having to twist hard just to lose ground. When we were on the super slab for the last 20 miles home is where I found myself at a large disadvantage; the group was running in the 90 - 100 mph range, and I became tail gunner Charlie fast. At one point, while running flat out at an indicated 110 mph, an 88 Stage III Springer came flying past me. I guess he was trying to make a point.

From my take, the 900 is a good all around cruiser, and the term "cruiser" originally meant low speed, around town looks. Stock, my V9D is an excellent around town bike (good handling, very good power, looks, styling). As the name implies, mine is a "light touring" bike, meaning it will tour but was not designed to hard core tour, meaning long distance may not be its forte stock. However, if we take it for its stock intentions, the Vulcan 900 series does good, low speed (under 65 mph), two lane touring. We can upgrade the bike for higher speed touring (seat, shock, sprockets/tall rear tire). Once we really understand for what the Vulcan series was designed and what its limitations are relative to large touring bikes (which are designed for that purpose) and large cruisers, we can then enjoy a great all around bike which can be improved for our respective niches of preference (light touring, commuter, long touring, back road, cruising in style, kid shuttling, etc).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts