Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I installed my JP Cycle 12" apes using the stock cables. I'm just not happy with how tight the clutch cable is. Barons cable kits are about $100 more expensive then the Burly but are compatible for the 900 classic, while the Burly are not. I am curious as to if anybody has experimented with the Burly cables for the classic and what success they had with the install. Has anybody tried to price the cables individually or would it be more expensive this way?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to start a thread tonight about the same subject. I spent some time last night looking for cable sets. I saw Barons had a chrome set and those were the only ones I could find for the 900. In a set.

I actually want a +6 or +8 black set. I know the +8 is a little much for my 12 inch apes but I may want to go to 14's some day so I'll hide the extra cable for now. I've seen full sets for Harley's for $150 in black, someone has to make the same for the Vulcan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to start a thread tonight about the same subject. I spent some time last night looking for cable sets. I saw Barons had a chrome set and those were the only ones I could find for the 900. In a set.

I actually want a +6 or +8 black set. I know the +8 is a little much for my 12 inch apes but I may want to go to 14's some day so I'll hide the extra cable for now. I've seen full sets for Harley's for $150 in black, someone has to make the same for the Vulcan.
I noticed the same thing! chrome only. i definitely don't want chrome. and the Barons are much more expensive than the Burly. I was actually debating on the +8 as well in case i wanted to add some higher risers or 14's.

I'm 6'2 and have been told to go with at least 14's but at the same time i didn't wanna dish out the cash for cables. so i thought i'd give the 12's with stock cables a shot just to see how i like it. I haven't gotten a chance to go on a ride yet though.

I may give the Burly kit a shot anyway if no one can confirm that they work or not.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
www.MotionPro.com

They have the cables you will need at a decent price too. Just measure the length of what you have now and get one that's longer than that. Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking for apes but undecided if I want 12" or 14" can you guys post some pics of your 12"?
Couple posts down on the 900 forum main page you'll see my post about the 12" install and I posted 3 pics there

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Hey Vn900 pats. You hooked on to an older thread. www.motionpro.com has cables. You know if you take off you upper triple tree and move the hoses and cables behind it, you might not need longer cables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Vn900 pats. You hooked on to an older thread. www.motionpro.com has cables. You know if you take off you upper triple tree and move the hoses and cables behind it, you might not need longer cables.
wow I definitely didn’t know that at all. I’ll be lying to you if I tell you that I’m gonna try it out because I’m not sure how to do it but I’ll ask my local shop I hope it’s going to be long enough, because if it isn’t that’s gonna be a problem. Plus there isn’t a lot of videos on that :(

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Hey Vn900 pats, If you have tools and basic knowledge, you can do this. It’s not hard at all. Whole job should take about an hour. Jack the bike up to get the front wheel off the ground. Bend the eyelets of the wire and cable holder guide to allow cables and wires to come out. Lay a blanket or towel on the gas tank. Remove the lower nuts of the handlebar risers and pull the handlebars back and rest them on the tank. You will not be reusing the wire and cable guide. Then remove the middle steering stem chrome nut and loosen the two pinch bolts (No 1 in the diagram) of the upper fork clamp. Pull off the upper clamp. Reposition the hoses and cables. Then reinstall the clamp. Tighten the pitch bolts to 15 foot pounds. Tighten the middle chrome nut to 43 INCH pounds. Reinstall the handlebars and torque the nuts to 25 foot pounds. Decide if the cables, wires, or hoses, need wire ties to keep them neat. Mine did not need any. Steer side to side and make sure nothing’s binding.
Here is an illustration from the factory repair manual. Any issues write back and I’ll help.
Tools needs - metric sockets and ratchet, metric allen key sockets, torque wrench (inch pounds), metric wrenches, and pliers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow thank you so much brother, this is definitely super helpful. I’m going to try it out and let you know if I run into any trouble. Much appreciated

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here's a few pics of my 10" Paul Yaffe bar's on my 2007 900 Classic. With Stock Cables and +6 Cables. The Paul Yaffe bars are closer to being 12" than 10". Cable's are from motionpro #'s are 63-0358, 63-0359, 63-0360. Clutch,Push,and Pull Throttle cables all +6 . I believe you can call them, and give the cable number and tell them you want it in black. Hope this help's, the stock cable's worked.But the throttle was tight in left turn's, to tight for my liking.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a few pics of my 10" Paul Yaffe bar's on my 2007 900 Classic. With Stock Cables and +6 Cables. The Paul Yaffe bars are closer to being 12" than 10". Cable's are from motionpro #'s are 63-0358, 63-0359, 63-0360. Clutch,Push,and Pull Throttle cables all +6 . I believe you can call them, and give the cable number and tell them you want it in black. Hope this help's, the stock cable's worked.But the throttle was tight in left turn's, to tight for my liking.
Wow you got a sweet looking bike. Fairing, radio, speakers and everything 👍🏼 Tbh I was hoping that I’d be able to make it with the stock cables but after reading this, I think I’d have to go +4 or +6

1 - 14 of 14 Posts