Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This model refers to drawing in cooler air with the snorkle located at front of box instead of deep inside (referred to as hot air).

Can someone explain how or why the air is cooler when sucked from the front?

Would you need a fuel processor after you do this mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3-xkjnqtc

Romper

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I just realised why the air woudl be cooler in this mod - air being sucked in from outside of the cylinder cooling fin range..

Now, what i also need to understand is this - what direction does the air flow from stock position of snorkel to intake of the piston? Just trying to picture where the air filter receives the air from and expels it out to?

ROmper

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey Romper,

I see that you just posted a question about installing a K&N filter in your stock airbox. In that post, you were worried about crushing the new filter by over tightening the 4 allen head bolts - I'm assuming you are talking about the bolts that hold the plastic cover on the airbox.

Since you have had the airbox apart (to replace the filter), you must be able to see the path of the air coming into the box (from the backside through that rubber snorkel thing), and how it flows through the filter, and ultimately into the throttle bodies. Yes? I sure hope so. Just follow the air path logically.

As for crushing the filter with the plastic airbox cover, I cannot see how you could do that unless you are not installing the filter correctly. The filter fits nicely inside the airbox, and the cover fits nicely over the back of the airbox. If you are crushing the filter, you are doing something wrong.

If you are going to go cutting holes in your stock airbox, you had better understand how things work - and you can gain this understanding by looking at the parts, and how they all go together.

By the way, I did cut an oval hole in the front of my airbox and I did install a K&N filter, and the difference was "slight". Don't expect any wondrous difference by making these small tweaks to the bike.

If you want to make some real changes to your VN900, you'll need a "real" aftermarket intake (I chose the "Cobra Powerflo"); a fuel processor (there are several good ones out there, but I would suggest for someone with your skill set, you get the Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro so you don't have to play with the 3 adjustment pots - which does take some mechanical skill and possibly a dyno); and then throw in a good set of aftermarket pipes, and you're set.

Any diddling around with the stock parts (drilling holes in the stock airbox; partial debaffle of the exhaust; "special" spark plugs) will not really get you any "real" horsepower gains. Some folks enjoy doing this type of thing, just for the fun of it, but...you might "think" you found the holy grail of HP gains by tinkering with the stock parts, but once you put some actual aftermarket parts on your bike (all three = intake - exhaust - fuel processor), you'll know you were just playing around with the bike, and thinking (believing) you found additional ponies. If you get 1-2 HP out of punching holes in the stock parts, you'll be doing well. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shadow.

Yes, it is the plastic air box onto the filter.

I just keep feeling the rubber of the filter being indented the further i tighten those 4 allen head bolts...

Romper

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Thanks Shadow.

Yes, it is the plastic air box onto the filter.

I just keep feeling the rubber of the filter being indented the further i tighten those 4 allen head bolts...

Romper
That is the whole point and necessary for a proper air tight seal to keep the dirt out of the carb. If you are actually damaging the filter, it is either installed incorrectly or you have the wrong filter.

Go with aftermarket Stage 1 upgrades as suggested if you really want to gain some enhancements to performance. It will not be huge mind you, but definitely noticeable. And in the end you have a much great running, better looking and sounding ride. Though the stock pipes look great, they were just way too tame for me, and I didn't care for the debaffled sound. They went to ebay, along with the oem stock pipes I had when I put the cobra longs on. I also added the auto tune cobra fuel processor and powerflo intake also suggested. The combination cannot be beat if you ask me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts