Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for not dropping in over the last 3 or 4 weeks, but have been trying to build some kilometers up so I can get the first service done and also the recent Coup here has kinda got in the way. Some short Sunday runs have been put on hold for awhile (the last one was 2 weeks ago around what is called the Samoeng Loop). Nice run, lovely and cool in the mountains.

Regarding the coup here, happy to confirm that I have seen just 2 soldiers around town so far, and one camouflaged something with a stack of camouflaged sand bags out front. All the action seems to have been in the big smoke, with some side trips by the military to seize weapon stashes and those involved in other areas.

I am out on the Vulcan for Brunch this morning and that adds another 30kms without going a big distance.

For anyone interested, I bought two accessories which I have fitted to my new Vulcan. A National Cycle Windscreem (really fiddly to get it adjusted) and a Jardine back rest for the rear seat. Bike looks fantastic and I am enjoying riding it.

The Vulcan is a Custom 900 with a Metalic Opal White top (tank, rear wheel arch and front wheel) with gunsmoke grey below, and black with red trim rims.

I will take some photo's soon

cheers

Roo

·
Registered
563 Posts
My brother was over in Chang Mai in January for three weeks and absolutely LOVED it there-he would be jealous of your location. Glad things are ok

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother was over in Chang Mai in January for three weeks and absolutely LOVED it there-he would be jealous of your location. Glad things are ok
[/url][/color]

Hi and thanks for your reply. I am glad your brother liked Chiang Mai. Maybe one of these days he will (and maybe you) come over for a break. Did your brother do any riding? There is a very active rider community here and apart from Monsoon time (now), lots of nice bikes around and some good rides.

Cheers

Roo

·
Registered
563 Posts
He was out to visit his daughter who just came home from spending a year teaching over there - my brothers wife has NOTHING to do with motorcycles so they did other things. Who knows if I will ever make it there - he would certainly like to go back someday. Glad there's other bikers to join up with for you

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Biking

He was out to visit his daughter who just came home from spending a year teaching over there - my brothers wife has NOTHING to do with motorcycles so they did other things. Who knows if I will ever make it there - he would certainly like to go back someday. Glad there's other bikers to join up with for you

We have quite an active Thai and Expat riding community with every kind of bike imaginable.

The family runabout (all Thai's seem to have at least 1 x 100cc, more often than not, one for each member of the family). Standard bikes up to 400cc are very common, and then Kawasaki and Honda started selling BIG bikes over 400cc, and have just released 2 x 650cc versions and not forgetting Harley are here as well as BIG Triumphs, Italian bikes etc

I used to have a 1995 Shadow 1000cc which originally came to Thailand as a runout model from the USA - loved that bike but sadly had to sell. My next bike was a real Lemon.. and after re-building the engine complete with re-paint, just got rid of it for what ever I could get.

I am really enjoying the Vulcan and will take it for its first service in the next couple of days.

Cheers

Roo

PS I assume your nickname means you play Hockey? As a child I was always jumping into things and got the nickname Roo, as in Kanga. Just as well I am a certified Aussie.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I used to play but for the last 16 years have been officiating. Keeps me From Going Nuts thru The Long COLD winter when my bike has to sit in the garage. someday I'd love to go visit Australia too where you are from. It may be too hot for me though

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oz is pretty big

I hope you make it to Australia. I wouldnt worry about whether its too hot because you can choose the time of the year to go.

Christmas is HOT everywhere. It doesnt really matter where you go, its hot there too.
June / July / August is the Aussie version of winter. We even have some world class snow complete with skiing in the Snowy Mountains. So chose our winter if you want to have good weather but cooler.

Its strange, having lived most of my life in the tropics and sub tropics, I think anything below 21c (69.8F) is cold and I start turning on my Water Bed Heater when its less than 21C. On go the jumpers, woolies, gloves, etc etc

I even bought a really nice wollen cardigan when I was in Houston in April this year. I spotted it in a run out sale and grabbed it straight away. I will probably only ever wear it for a couple of months here - December and January and then it will be put away for the next year.

Winter in Thailand is usually very short and it starts hearting up after Feb.

Anyway, better get going. My Vulcan is with Kawasaki for its first service and they just called to let me know its ready to collect.

Cheers

Roo

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your tag made me curious to read the thread Roo. Thailand? Ahh, expat ...
Lucky you with the bikes there. I have spent some time in China where 'bikes' are banned, well, over 150cc anyway. I bet a dual sport bike would be handy there as well.
Sounds like a nice bike. Let us know when you have some photos up on screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts