Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone add Ape hangers or mini apes to their Vulcan S. I mean besides that guy on YouTube who had a pro install them.
And what's the big deal with changing an abs brake cable? I hear people not wanting to do it but I don't know why?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
I much prefer the apes to risers. I get HotBike and there are way too many risers and just don't look right to me. I know it's just a preference and there may be a legality issue in certain states, but I think the apes would look really good on this. Personally, if I had more time last year before the sun went down, I would have pursued drag bars for mine.

Maybe they don't want to mess with a new bike and possibly void the warranty. Screw that! Modify it!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are looking that route the Indian Scout has the strange 1" Center to 7/8" Ends setup on their bars as we do, the have apes and mini-apes for them
Thanks you Newfiezedder, that's looks promising. Their 10" mini apes look perfect and at $150, I might just try them and see if the cables fit.
Thanks again

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
The stock cables worked for the clutch and brakes. I had to use extensions for the electrical wiring tho as I wanted to internally wire it.

I think the stock electrical wires would have worked if it was not going to be internally wired but it wouldn't have looked as nice.

The seats are the original normal seat, but just re-upholstered with some more padding and leather skin as the original seat was a pain in the butt

I still need to fix my bra ends.

Maybe be bar end mirrors or bar end weights. But I like my current mirrors. oh well plenty to think about..

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stock cables worked for the clutch and brakes. I had to use extensions for the electrical wiring tho as I wanted to internally wire it.

I think the stock electrical wires would have worked if it was not going to be internally wired but it wouldn't have looked as nice.

The seats are the original normal seat, but just re-upholstered with some more padding and leather skin as the original seat was a pain in the butt

I still need to fix my bra ends.

Maybe be bar end mirrors or bar end weights. But I like my current mirrors. oh well plenty to think about..
Can you post a picture of the end result? Looking forward to seeing some examples of mini-apes on the vulcan!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
mounted indian mini 10" mini apes

Hi guys. Well I was going batty looking for some mini apes for this bike. The fact that it is 1" bottom tube 7/8 ends is a bitch. Well I stumbled on to the forum from google (LOL) and read that the Indian Scout had a 10" mini ape that fits but people were worry about the cables and wiring. So since I have an Indian dealer close to my house I went and talked to there mechanic. He grabbed a stock indian scout handlebar and we went out to compare it to my Vulcan S bars. They are exactly the same size. So he looked at my wiring and cables and said he thought that the 10" mini apes should fit no problem. So I ordered it. It came in Monday and I installed it today. It works without changing any cables or wiring. The tightest is the right brake cable at full left turn. Its at max but not past max and riding you never full turn left or right. I mention this because its where you leave your bars to lock the bike.
P:S. I had to undo the clutch cable from the lever and reroute it outside from behind the light. You can do this from the clutch lever. very ez. If I could only reroute that brake cable the same way. Hummm

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Update from yesterday. So that front brake line was irking me all night. It was tight in the stock location and I have my bars set at a very aggressive forward location. I knew I was going to move them back a little (probably straight line with the forks) but that would put even more strain not that brake line. So I got up this morning and went to the Indian triumph dealer where I bought the mini apes, to show the mechanic and ask his opinion. He agreed that it needed to be rerouted outside from behind the headlight to outside of the triple trees. I gave him a little song and dance and he did it for me on the spot. (5min total) didnt even have to bleed the brakes after. he used a trick that sometimes works. Didn't even charge me. I owe him a beer. LOL heres some pics now. Left and Right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update from yesterday. So that front brake line was irking me all night. It was tight in the stock location and I have my bars set at a very aggressive forward location. I knew I was going to move them back a little (probably straight line with the forks) but that would put even more strain not that brake line. So I got up this morning and went to the Indian triumph dealer where I bought the mini apes, to show the mechanic and ask his opinion. He agreed that it needed to be rerouted outside from behind the headlight to outside of the triple trees. I gave him a little song and dance and he did it for me on the spot. (5min total) didnt even have to bleed the brakes after. he used a trick that sometimes works. Didn't even charge me. I owe him a beer. LOL heres some pics now. Left and Right side.
Those look amazing!! I WANT

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those look amazing!! I WANT
Thank you. yours looks great also. I see were rocking the same mirrors. LOL Since I installed the mini apes I have pulled them back to almost a straight line with the forks. It rides so much better with theses bars. I'm 6ft tall and those 2 inches did wonders for me comfort wise. Now I need the tail tidy and the booster plug. :grin2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you. yours looks great also. I see were rocking the same mirrors. LOL Since I installed the mini apes I have pulled them back to almost a straight line with the forks. It rides so much better with theses bars. I'm 6ft tall and those 2 inches did wonders for me comfort wise. Now I need the tail tidy and the booster plug. :grin2:
I do love our mirrors! tidy tail does make the back look sleeker. Im 5'9 and most days i wish i went with the extended reach, so maybe the apes are the way to go!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts