Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here put ape hangers on the custom? i'm looking into doing it over the winter and want to start buying parts now.

1. what will i need besides the risers, bar, and cable extentions?
2. what are the specs to the OEM Custom Handlebar (width, lenth, pullback, diameter)?
3. who sells the best variety of parts for this particular project?
4. are the parts the same as they would be for the Classic?

any info is greatly appreciated

please post pics if anyone has any.
thanx guys

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
1. what will i need besides the risers, bar, and cable extentions?
that's it. Hairspray for installing the left side grip again...

2. what are the specs to the OEM Custom Handlebar (width, lenth, pullback, diameter)?
The only site I have found that has all the dimensions, doesn't have dimensions for the custom...

3. who sells the best variety of parts for this particular project?
mean cycles is good. Phat performance parts is good too. PPP has risers for ~80 bucks too...

4. are the parts the same as they would be for the Classic?
As far as I know. For the record, you can do 10" apes without cables. I did them on a buddy of mine's custom with classic stock risers and 10" apes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i got some 16s on mine. wasnt to hard. just have to get throttle/throttle return, clutch, and brake lines and fittings. also have to extend your wires. just takes time, patience, and a little cash.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you guys have any pics of what they might look like or an instructional thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a pic of my bike. 16s are big though. im a tall dude so it works well. easiest thing to do is find the position where you want your hands, measure straight down to your triple trees. take a few inches off and thats round abouts what ya need. dont forget bout the angle of how you want them either.

stock bars on left, (roommates) and mines on the right.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your bike looks SICK! love that look but i'm 5'9" and 16" would stretch me to the max! LoL i was thinking 10-12" would be just about right. and you used stock risers from a vn900 classic?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a pic of my bike. 16s are big though. im a tall dude so it works well. easiest thing to do is find the position where you want your hands, measure straight down to your triple trees. take a few inches off and thats round abouts what ya need. dont forget bout the angle of how you want them either.

stock bars on left, (roommates) and mines on the right.
sick looking bike man, how tall are you?

·
Registered
48 Posts
appreciate it yall. nah, that was a custom in its early life. i actually used some black harley risers and drilled out my triple tree a little bit. just enough to fit the bolt. found that i could actually use a lot of harley parts on em. im 6'3" and have gorilla arms. she still needs a bit of finishing touches, but itll be done soon. if yall got anything ya need help with im always open, had that bitch stripped to frame, so i learned a bit bout them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 9" with stock cables..but that is as much as you can go...

I HATE Risers on the stock Custom handlebar...it puts the bar way to close to you and it makes the bike look like a midget since there is no empty distance from the forks to the end of the tank..looks terrible..and honestly uncomfortable for me

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 9" with stock cables..but that is as much as you can go...

I HATE Risers on the stock Custom handlebar...it puts the bar way to close to you and it makes the bike look like a midget since there is no empty distance from the forks to the end of the tank..looks terrible..and honestly uncomfortable for me
what risers did you buy and where did you get'em?

·
Registered
66 Posts
appreciate it yall. nah, that was a custom in its early life. i actually used some black harley risers and drilled out my triple tree a little bit. just enough to fit the bolt. found that i could actually use a lot of harley parts on em. im 6'3" and have gorilla arms. she still needs a bit of finishing touches, but itll be done soon. if yall got anything ya need help with im always open, had that bitch stripped to frame, so i learned a bit bout them.
What other Harley parts did you find worked with the custom? There are a lot more Harley parts out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts