Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has ape hangers on their 900 custom and what kind, size, and risers do you use? i'm interested in adding that to my to do list. any info is appreciated

·
Registered
658 Posts
10" apes on my brother's classic. He did not need to change cables. Easy install took him 30 minutes. He used the stock classic risers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10" apes on my brother's classic. He did not need to change cables. Easy install took him 30 minutes. He used the stock classic risers.
so if i get my hands on the classic risers, i can use up to a 10" ape hanger handle bar without changing the cables?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
658 Posts
so if i get my hands on the classic risers, i can use up to a 10" ape hanger handle bar without changing the cables?
Yes sir. Just a little re routing. No major adjustments.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
658 Posts
What do you mean "rerouting"?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Rerouting is rerouting the cables either from front of the triple tree to the back of it or vice versa.
Exactly what nitro57 said. You'll already have the controls off the original bars for the swap so it is an easy step from there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They shipped my 10" apes today, I'll put up any info I can when I get done that I needed to do.
Pics would be great. I'm gonna order them in a week or two. Still thinking about 8" or 10" z bars... Not sure yet.

Which bars did you go with and where'd you get'em?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly what nitro57 said. You'll already have the controls off the original bars for the swap so it is an easy step from there.
I received the risers from the forum member we were speaking about. They're in great condition and I can't wait to get started. Does it matter whether they're dimpled or knurled or smooth? I need to know this before I order a pair of bars off or eBay.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I received the risers from the forum member we were speaking about. They're in great condition and I can't wait to get started. Does it matter whether they're dimpled or knurled or smooth? I need to know this before I order a pair of bars off or eBay.

If I recall most bars are knurled for Harley riser spacing, I do not believe they will be in the right spot for our bike. FWIW my brother bought a smooth bar.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I recall most bars are knurled for Harley riser spacing, I do not believe they will be in the right spot for our bike. FWIW my brother bought a smooth bar.
What about dimpled? Will our stock controls fit without the dimple or do we have to snap off that little tab in order to fit snuggly?

·
Registered
658 Posts
What about dimpled? Will our stock controls fit without the dimple or do we have to snap off that little tab in order to fit snuggly?

You definitely need the tabs. The tabs are what keep the housing from turning while you twist the throttle. He bought the nondimpled and drilled holes himself. Again, worrying that the predimpled would be set up for Harley and not work for his 9.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You definitely need the tabs. The tabs are what keep the housing from turning while you twist the throttle. He bought the nondimpled and drilled holes himself. Again, worrying that the predimpled would be set up for Harley and not work for his 9.
Nice, could you ask what size bit he used and if there's a set location on where they're supposed to go. I don't wanna screw this up. That's why I'm asking all these questions.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nice, could you ask what size bit he used and if there's a set location on where they're supposed to go. I don't wanna screw this up. That's why I'm asking all these questions.

Don't worry about the questions, it is better to ask than to mess it up right? As I am my brother's defacto wrench, we did it at my house, so we just matched one of my bits to the existing hole on the OEM bars. We also measured the position of the hole and set the new hole accordingly. Not really scientific, but it worked. Just go slow, measure twice, cut (drill) once.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just my 2 cents... dimpled bars are for older style harleys. The dimples allowed the wiring to exit the housings when you aren't running the wires internally. our housings do not need dimples to work but they do need to be drilled for the tab in the housing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. Those are really the only questions I had left. My bike is gonna look SWEET! I can't wait to order the apes. So I going with 8"-10" z bars that are smooth and non dimpled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts