Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this before in a previous thread, and got some good answers - but I'd like a little more info so I can start shopping and thinking.

---

I have a Memphis Shades Batwing on my vn900 Classic. It has the stock bars, and everything fits well. I also have the 9" clear shield on the batwing. The problem is, I'd like to do ape hangers as well (thinking 12-14").

The shield and batwing stick back pretty far over the clamps, and I've been advised previously that 'bagger bars' would help me fit under the fairing and get to the clamps. The only problem is that I'd like to be able to take the fairing off for a few weeks at a time and don't want to have to ride around with strange looking handlebars on it.

I've seen some bagger apes that are simply curved backwards to allow the fairing to sit above them, but they're like $350 and are made for Harley's. (They're made by Carlini?)

Does anyone else have hangers and the batwing on their bikes? How does it look (post pics?), how do things fit? I'd love to get this done this year so I can enjoy riding the remainder of the season with these on. Finding the right fit is what scares me because there aren't really any dealers around here who carry those bars standard.

Also, what size bars so I need to search for? I've seen on JP Cycles that 1 1/4" is the size? But I'm not sure.

Basically, how do I do apes and make it look good with and without the fairing? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I have 10" mini apes and when I had my batwing fairing (never at the same time) I was going to put the bars where I wanted and use a Dremel to trim for the bars to fit. Just two notches around the bars. I was going to get some trim for lawn edging to line the part around the bars so it didn't rattle.

I hated my batwing fairing, which is why I never followed through with this plan.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So modify the batwing, or lose it. I guess modifying it wouldn't be horrible, but I'd rather not if possible. I was hoping that someone might have some advice on the right handlebars that could wrap under the fairing a bit, and not look 'off' when I go without it.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
So modify the batwing, or lose it. I guess modifying it wouldn't be horrible, but I'd rather not if possible. I was hoping that someone might have some advice on the right handlebars that could wrap under the fairing a bit, and not look 'off' when I go without it.
I see what you are saying but the bars that pull back from the triple trees might get you cramped in the seat. The 900 is not a roomy bike, and I think that will be an issue. Just chiming in with my opinions and thoughts.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
I don't have a Batwing, so no pics. But, I do have 12" apes from a Hardley on my Meany.
There's no problem using these bars. All you have to do is enlarge the holes in the top trees to 1/2" & make sure that they're 3.5" apart(I think that the right length). Mine came with 3" risers but that was too high, I couldn't see the tach & spedo. So, rather than moving them I bought 1.5" risers & all is good now. Couldn't be happier.

ground level view.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Old thread but wondering if you ever did this and it worked, I'm doing the mod currently on a 900 custom with 12" holey rollers and have a batwing, I think some 2.5 pullback risers will do the trick maybe 3.5"

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got the tsukayu fairing w/ 6x9 speakers and 10" apes sitting on the stock risers on mine. I have no clearance issues with it at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the tsukayu fairing w/ 6x9 speakers and 10" apes sitting on the stock risers on mine. I have no clearance issues with it at all.

Do you have a picture of this. I am looking to add ape hanged which ones did you use? What size risers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts