Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Cobra FI2000R laying around and was debating if it's worth the time and probable decrease in gas mileage to install it on my bike with the stock exhaust system.I doubt I will be changing the exhaust in the future.I do realize most bikes are a bit lean from the factory due to emission standards.Cobra claims a stock bike with the FI2000 would benefit from cooler operating temperatures and better throttle response.I already own the fuel controller and was just wondering what others thoughts might be.

·
Registered
166 Posts
PO put a PCIII on the Custom with Hard Krome shorties. I pulled them off but left the PCIII on, pulled the plugs after 4k miles to see if running too rich. Plugs looked fine, mileage is always right at 50 mpg even with 2 up. Bike runs better with factory pipes with stage 1 debaffle than the HK. Not sure of the settings, think he said it was 2-2-1 but not sure. After removing the after market pipes, thought I would run it like it came till I changed plugs. Pulled plugs and replaced without removing tank which I needed to do to unplug the PCIII so I left it on. Go ahead and put it on and keep on check on your plugs, don't think you will regret it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have one laying around it can't hurt but if the bike is all stock or even just has a k&n I can't see it making much of a difference in power or fuel mileage. All it does is adjust air to fuel ratio which stock bike should be very close anyway. And for the fuel mileage if you change the tire to a 200/70-15 it will be much better, even the 170/80-15 will be better.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I installed the fuel controller last night and rode the bike for about 20 miles using the default setting of 4-2-0.With that setting I seem to have lost a bit of the roll on acceleration.Probably too rich of a setting for a stock bike.Cobra claims the first pod of the controller has an effect on the fueling from idle up to about 5000 RPM.This morning I changed the setting to 2-2-0 and rode for about 120 miles.Seems like now I may have gained a bit of roll on acceleration.Bike runs very well with the controller in place ,it also ran very well without the controller.Could be my imagination but the bike also seems a bit smoother at 75MPH and above with less vibration.I will have to see what effect it has on my gas mileage now.I was getting 49.4 MPG before installing the fuel controller.I will update the thread after getting more miles on the bike so I can gauge the gas mileage.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First tank of gas since install,keeping in mind the first 20 miles the controller was set at 4-2-0 verses current setting of 2-2-0,netted 46.4 MPG.A loss of 3 MPG.More than a few of those miles also included more than usual aggressive driving as I was trying to be sure the bike would perform well under a heavy throttle hand and high speeds,90 MPH and above.Will update again after the next tank of gas.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike seems to have settled back in at 49 MPG.Running top notch with the fuel controller and K&N air filter in place.Really seems to like that extra little squirt in her honey hole!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update.I am now running the pod setting of 2-1-0 which maybe seems a bit crisper on roll on acceleration.Gas mileage is 48 MPG with all highway riding at speeds of 65MPH to 72 MPH indicated.Who knows what these controllers really gain you, if anything,especially on a stock bike.Ride on..

·
Registered
673 Posts
Bandit:

I wouldn't think you would need more than a 1-1-0 or possibly 1.5-1-0 with stock pipes,and no opening of the air box. I know the K&N does flow more than stock, but the restictions are at the air intake snorkle thingy.

For my set up I am running a 3or3.5-2 -2 with 2-1's/ K&N/opened up air box. Fuel eco. about the same as you. Pulls real hard to 90-95mph (up to 4th gear)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually misspoke in my last post.I did go with a setting of 1.5-1-0 as Rider 50 just stated.I will leave well enough alone for now.Mine also pulls very well through the gears if I chose to do so.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You might take it and get it dyno tuned, see just how close the A/F ratio is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ease of install

I installed the fuel controller last night and...
i'm ordering the Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller for my 900b since i added the new cobra exhaust system. looks like cramped quarters for installing, particularly connecting the three pods. it may turn out ot be easy-breezy once i get into it. any install advice or pointers that would be helpful?

thanks... :good:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm ordering the Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller for my 900b since i added the new cobra exhaust system. looks like cramped quarters for installing, particularly connecting the three pods. it may turn out ot be easy-breezy once i get into it. any install advice or pointers that would be helpful?

Raise the rear of the gas tank and remove the air filter housing to gain access to the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
vise grips to the rescue...

ok, following the instructions included, i was able to access but unable to unplug the stock fuel injector sensors by hand due to the tight quarters. i did gently use my long nose vise-grip locking pliers to engage the push clip while sufficiently gripping the sensor to pull it up and off. gentle is the word because you're gripping plastic with fine gauge wires attached.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, following the instructions included, i was able to access but unable to unplug the stock fuel injector sensors by hand due to the tight quarters. i did gently use my long nose vise-grip locking pliers to engage the push clip while sufficiently gripping the sensor to pull it up and off. gentle is the word because you're gripping plastic with fine gauge wires attached.
How has the controller worked out for you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
How has the controller worked out for you?
Controller working out fine. Held factory settings from Cobra. Mpg mid-40's to low 50's depending on driving factors. Great throttle response throughout. Some exhaust popping when engine breaking in 2nd & 1st gears. I'm happy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts