Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1998 1600 classic.
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you used a Harley 40mm carb on a 1500/1600? If so how was the transition?
From what I see in pictures looks like the only difference (externally) is how the throttle cables connect, and some other small stuff. Also will the Vulcan TPS work on it?
My carb has just had so many damn issues, and can get Harley carbs for $50, unlike used 1500 carbs for 300+.
Also the Harley carbs have so many air filter setups, unlike carbed 1500s which seems only option is the Coyote kit anymore.

Would like an opinion or some actual experience before I put the money down.
Thank you!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes, the harley carb will fit, seen several folks use them with success. Have installed 1 myself.... Parts are alot more plentiful....

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,238 Posts
what's TPS?
CV40 is same carb as CVK40 with minor differences, you can tweek the differences to make it work

·
Registered
573 Posts
The carbs should be the same, jet wise. Spigot should fit fine, put a little silicone grease on the inside of carb boot, will slide right if you push slightly while rocking her front and rear in a twisting motion.
The cable I used was a stock Vulcan on the pull side, took the other out. The little barrel end on the cable won't fit, so, use a throttle cable repair kit from Napa, O'Reillys, Autozone. After you run your length of throttle cable there it needs to be (pull the cable out of the cable housing, so you won't cut it too short accidently).
I cut a shout piece of metal fuel line the slide just over the throttle cable housing, about 3/4 of a inch long, slit it lengthwise.
I used a short piece of flat barstock, made a mounting bracket for the cable, tacked the piece of fuel line on, squeezing in on the very end of line so the cable housing won't slide thru. Trim your throttle cable housing off so it fits length wise, not too short, but not too long either. Make sure you have it run without pinching or bindind, turning steering stop to stop.
New, slide thru your cable thru the cable sheath, from the handlebar side. Install your twistgrip, leaving your throttle cable adjustments loose, towards the center of adjustment.
Look at where the cable attaches, mark your cable, left mine about 1/8th in. long.
Then I silver soldered the new cable end on, fishing it onto the new carb. Adjust your cable endplay, I put a small lightweight accelerator spring on the carb to help pullback because of no cable return.
This was on a late 90's model G model....
Hookup fuel line, prime it, and enjoy....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh, also, the replacement harley carbs do have the twin pull throttle cables, though I used 1. With the carbs springs, and a returm spring on the bell crank....you can run one. Both can be hooked up, but it can get frustrating dealing wih both....

·
Registered
1998 1600 classic.
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, also, the replacement harley carbs do have the twin pull throttle cables, though I used 1. With the carbs springs, and a returm spring on the bell crank....you can run one. Both can be hooked up, but it can get frustrating dealing wih both....
Thank you so much! I ended up getting a used Keihin Harley carb, didnt trust the 50 dollar offbrand ones.
I got a hypercharger as well, been wanting one but they don't sell for the carb vulcan setups anymore.
Gonna have to fab some pipe to step down from the carb or else it won't fit cause the tank, but shouldn't be hard. Ordered extra mounting brackets for the 3 bolt CV to Hypercharger so I can tig one on each end of a pipe.
Your info is glorious, thank you so much again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Because of the flow rate, I just hooked up the carb and pump....last time I saw it, running like a top!
Very cool, thanks again for putting this all up.

I just picked one up cheap that had sat for years, I did the deal out at a literal barn with no cell service, it was kind of “a you can have it real cheap if you take it right now so we don’t have to come out here again” sort of thing (so no real ability to research parts, etc), and I’m battling a little nervousness after finding few options to start over with a fresh new carb for this 97 classic. It’s reassuring to know there are other options and it’s not too hard of a conversion.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi,I've changed to the hd carb,but w/o giving any gas my bike runs full throler
Well, either your throttle blades (carb belcrank) are not hooked up to the throttle cable, your accelerator pump isn't at station keeping....or some other carb problem....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts