Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have worn out a set of EBC FA229HH front brake pads on my 2006 1500 Classic. I thought these were an improvement over the stockers but were still not what I would call great.
I see there is now an EPFA229HH; EBC's site says:
"The USA-made EBC Brakes™ EPFA Sintered Pads for Fast Street and Trackday is a premium long life street pad with improved fade resistance and heat cycling and improved noise characteristics. EPFA is a great pad for heavy streetbikes, cruisers and faster superbikes as well as intermittent track use"

I also saw some Vesrah ZD-352CT pads ( ZD is apparently also called RJL ) which appear to be a new offering but there seems to be little on the Internet on these items.

Has anyone tried either of these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on EPFA229HH brake pads

I went ahead and bought the EBC EPFA229HH brakes pads, and here's an update:

- If you buy these make sure you specify that they do not ship you date code 11/13. These are manufactured incorrectly - the lining is on the wrong side of the metal backing. One of those "I have done brakes many times, how could I be screwing this up?" moments. Finally I figured out that it must be the pads.
- I use Amazon Prime all the time but this transaction wasn't so good. When I figured out the first set was bad, I requested another set and returned the first ones. A week later no pads. so call Amazon again - lost in transit. So, they send out set #3 - same bad date code; I did all this before I figured out the date code thing though so I couldn't have them check.
- Called EBC directly at this point and they verified that the 11/13 code had a manufacturing problem and that apparently the ones I got apparently had not been returned to them earlier.
- EBC Customer Service was great, they responded quickly and sent me 2 replacement pad sets for the front and one for the back, even though I hadn't bought the pads from them directly.
- I haven't ridden a whole lot with these, but they do seem a little better. The brakes on this bike (2006 1500 Classic ) are not so great to start with so if I have to pay $5-$10 more for 5-10% improvement, I'll take it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always use the EBC sintered pads on my atv's and had good luck as far as stopping power and lasting.
You may try bleeding the brakes, adding fresh fluid seems to help firming up the brake handle-pedal .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny, I have them on my ATV as well. I have already bled and put clean fluid in ( clutch also ), but I think these bikes just need more brakes; two discs up front instead of one would have been a lot better.

As a side note, the Motive Products Power Bleeders are awesome. I didn't use it on the bike since it is easy enough to do without it, but if you are working on a car's brakes, invest in one of these, I would put this on the "should have bought this 20 years ago" list. They do have a motorcycle adapter but I didn't get that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts