Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of searching and I see tons of posts & videos where guys have de-baffled everything but a 1700 Classic LT. Then I found a thread where someone ran into a ton of trouble on a 1700.

I love the look of my pipes but want to get them sounding better.

So has anyone successfully done the deed on a Classic LT?

Yeah, I know I should just buy a set of slip ons but the truth is that my finances are tighter than a banjo string So I want to go this route first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have removed 4 of the six, just need a hole saw and extension. You can get to two from the rear of the muflers and you need to remove the mufflers to get the front ones.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Just because it is louder doesn't mean it will sound better. A tuned aftermarket exhaust can sound great without being over the top loud and making the bike sound like a '72 pickup with a hole in the muffler. I see you are in Flint Michigan. Just read an article claiming that it is the most violent city in the US.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see you are in Flint Michigan. Just read an article claiming that it is the most violent city in the US.
Yeah, it can get a little "sporty" around these parts. My two rules are Go armed and keep my head on a swivel.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just because it is louder doesn't mean it will sound better. A tuned aftermarket exhaust can sound great without being over the top loud and making the bike sound like a '72 pickup with a hole in the muffler. I see you are in Flint Michigan. Just read an article claiming that it is the most violent city in the US.
+1 and also -1. LOL.

Sometimes debaffled can sound really good. Sometimes it can sound awful. OP, if you can't be reasonably sure it's going to sound good, you should be prepared to buy some aftermarket pipes anyway. A debaffle is irreversible!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have done a lot of searching and I see tons of posts & videos where guys have de-baffled everything but a 1700 Classic LT. Then I found a thread where someone ran into a ton of trouble on a 1700.

I love the look of my pipes but want to get them sounding better.

So has anyone successfully done the deed on a Classic LT?

Yeah, I know I should just buy a set of slip ons but the truth is that my finances are tighter than a banjo string So I want to go this route first.
Debaffling using a hole saw on the centre plates can be risky on a Classic/Classic LT.

I removed the back two centre plates from each muffler on my Classic LT with a 1.25" hole saw and it sounded great, until it was warmed up. Then I got a high pitched chirp on decel. I know of at least one other 1700 owner who got the same results.

After a lot of experimentation, I was able to jam a 1.38" diameter sink crumb cup in the previous location of the end centre disk on each muffler. This finally cured the chirp on decel. I get a nice low rumble that is not too loud, but some decel burble is noticeable after the engine is really warm...not loud popping, but annoying. Richening up my Bully has helped some, but not totally.

If you are going to risk debaffling, just remove the end centre disk from each muffler and see how that sounds. If I were to do it again, that's as far as I would go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
32mm hole saw on an extension bar and drill right up to the cats...the pipes are too long to be obnoxious loud. My aussie bike ran better for it but all the significant improvement came with a fuel controller.

it's turned the bike from...farting through a drinking straw..to a really responsive motor and I found that I seem to be able,,through the fuel controller, change the power deliver to suit a riding style. The motor will never be a fire breathing 100hp plus HD, but pretty dam good socialable ride.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not true on no 100 hp fire breathing harleys...i have one

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

hahaha...every HD is a fire breathing 100 ponnies...that's the sales pitch..

how do you know a HD owner is at a party ?...just wait they'll find you......

sorry dday, but that a running joke here...

all seriousness...a few mates do have HD's....and to much money...their HDs are loud...very fast....and fun....not for touring though

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ironically mine is a road king with a stage 3 screaming eagle kit...tons of torque and power. Not Alot like this one, owner before me put stupid money in it and i get the benefit...still miss my nomad though

·
Registered
92 Posts
If a Harley has over 100 hp and is considered fast then much, much $$$ has been involved for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Figman...time to stop drinking the KoolAid, there are new harleys that come out of the box with almost 100hp, throw in a few mods and you are there. Too many on this site think harleys are slow and expensive...just like how i used to.

That being said, i hope the dude who started this thread figures out how to debaffle his pipes...i think my buddy did this so I'll ask him

·
Registered
92 Posts
Figman...time to stop drinking the KoolAid, there are new harleys that come out of the box with almost 100hp, throw in a few mods and you are there. Too many on this site think harleys are slow and expensive...just like how i used to.

That being said, i hope the dude who started this thread figures out how to debaffle his pipes...i think my buddy did this so I'll ask him
Which Harley are you referring to (almost 100hp) and as you know a few mods here and there equals $$$. Stock Harleys are slow with the exception of the V-Rod. If one wants a stock cruiser out of the box that is deemed fast then a Suke 109 or a Triumph Rocket 3 would be the ticket. Heck I have no problem with Harleys and sorry I touched a nerve with you but (in my opinion) they are on the average much more expensive than the metric offerings and offer no more performance out of the box than other cruisers of equal displacement. I too hope the dude figures out how to debaffle his stock pipes. I chose not to go that route on my Classic but instead installed Hard Krome exhaust. To each his own. Ride often and ride safely.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I chose not to go that route on my Classic but instead installed Hard Krome exhaust.
Figman,

How do you like the 3" Big Straights on your Classic?

I had them on my 2004, 1700 Roadstar, but with all the decel popping issues the Vulcan 1700s are prone to, I am hesitant to go that route. What fuel management (if any) was required with the Hard Kromes on your Classic?

The only You-Tube video I could find of a 1700 Classic with the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights was in Spanish and the audio didn't seem to do the pipes justice...they sounded high pitched and tinny...not exactly the deep, resonant sound I'm after...so hopefully, they sound better in real life!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Figman,

How do you like the 3" Big Straights on your Classic?

I had them on my 2004, 1700 Roadstar, but with all the decel popping issues the Vulcan 1700s are prone to, I am hesitant to go that route. What fuel management (if any) was required with the Hard Kromes on your Classic?

The only You-Tube video I could find of a 1700 Classic with the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights was in Spanish and the audio didn't seem to do the pipes justice...they sounded high pitched and tinny...not exactly the deep, resonant sound I'm after...so hopefully, they sound better in real life!
I have them on a couple of days and I do like them but they are a little on the loud sound and I would prefer the tone be deeper but since the V&H ProPipe is not available for the classic I went with the Hard Krome ($486 at phat performance). I do have decel popping but limited it by plugging the air/injection valve and raising the idle speed. I have ordered the EJK fuel processor and and BAK and will be installing them in the near future. The exhaust did seem to liven the Classic up a bit and overall I am satisfied (to this point). I plan on installing Hard Kore baffles soon to tone it down a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed a set of Cobra slip-ons ( 4225 ) on my 1700 Classic, but found they were much too loud and caused decel popping. They are straight thru mufflers and I don't think they provided enough back pressure. Cobra could not supply baffles for this model.

The original mufflers were re-installed and I drilled out only the aft baffle plate which is easy to do. The muffler now has a deep sound but mellow so I can hear myself think again. The neighbours are also happy. I had previously plugged the air injection valve line and installed a thunder mfg gasket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Figman i know this thread is very old but how did the baffles work out?
I personally did not like the hard core baffles and they were a bitch to remove however they did make the bike somewhat quieter but I just did not like the tone. I am currently running the hard chromes with no baffles. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts