Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 1700 Classic LT and am real close to ordering a set of Cobra slip ons (4225) for it. V&H do not appear to make slip ons to fit my bike.

Anybody running these? What do you think of them?

Lastly, should I need to change anything else to use these?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The slip-ons will give you a better sound and offer a bit more performance. Slip-ons generally will not cause any problems but I have found thru the years every skoot is different. The main thing to watch out for is any kind of surging, hesitation or any kind of loss of performance in the lower rpm and smaller throttle opening areas.

Reason why I say this is those areas are where emission testing is performed and generally the air/fuel ratio has been compromised (i.e. leaned out) to make the EPA happy. If you feel none of the above mentioned then you will be fine. If you do detect any of these then some fuel injection tuning will be needed.

But don't let these facts deter you from the slip-ons, they will be a great addition and mod to your skoot.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I put a pair of Tri Ovals on my Voyager. Load but not too load. I little bit of backfire and popping but the shop says that is ok and normal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the tri-ovals on my Voyager and I like them just fine. It did create the decel popping problem, but the Thunder gasket fixed most of it. The sound is just right.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I have been running Cobra Tri-Ovals on my 2011 Vaquero since it was new. Better performance with them along with a PCv and Thunder Tornado Air Kit. The Tri-Ovals purr at steady speeds and roar when you really get on the throttle.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have been running Cobra Tri-Ovals on my 2011 Vaquero since it was new. Better performance with them along with a PCv and Thunder Tornado Air Kit. The Tri-Ovals purr at steady speeds and roar when you really get on the throttle.

Roadie

2011 Vaquero 1700 aka Black Magic
Cobra Tri-Ovals, Thunder Tornado Air Kit, PCv, RacNRay's Throttle Mod, Commander IIs
Roadie I couldn't have put it better than the way you posted here. My only difference is that I chose the cobra power pro fuel controller. Either set will work.

·
Registered
439 Posts
slip ons

running Cobra touring slip ons with Cobra processor. Love the looks sound and added performance I have picture s posted in my garage

·
Registered
580 Posts
I like them. The only thing that bugs me about slip-on's (which is common to all of them), is that the majority of exhaust/sound comes from the right pipe. Here is a link to a short vid I posted on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUU6Pwx97GI

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I ordered them and they have already been shipped. Now I just have to wait for the 3 or 4 inches of ice on my street to melt off so I can get a ride in. Last ride was the first part of November and I am getting real antsy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks guys. I ordered them and they have already been shipped. Now I just have to wait for the 3 or 4 inches of ice on my street to melt off so I can get a ride in. Last ride was the first part of November and I am getting real antsy.
Hopefully you can re-use your exhaust gaskets when you change them, but it may be a good idea to have one or two on hand just in case one gets ruined in the process.......been there. If you can't get a set from your local Kawi dealer I got a set from a Polaris ATV dealership that are exactly the same and cheaper also.......here is a picture of the part number

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that. I will see how it goes before I buy gaskets. I have a polaris ATV dealer just down the road from work. Looks like its gonna be a while before I can ride.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for that. I will see how it goes before I buy gaskets. I have a polaris ATV dealer just down the road from work. Looks like its gonna be a while before I can ride.
I had one gasket stick to the outside of the old pipe and wrecked it trying to remove it......hopefully you have better luck

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I went and bought two new gaskets when I put Cobra Tri-Ovals on my 2011 Vaquero when the bike was just weeks old, better safe than sorry and wanted a tight seal, glad I did because one of the original gasket came off messed up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the Cobras are on. I like em :)

I had 1 exhaust gasket that came off perfect, the other one in pieces. A quick stop to the dealer resolved that problem.

Bike sounds good in the garage but the real test will be a ride. Sadly, looks like it is going to be quite some time before that happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I would update things.

I was able to get the bike out a couple times and am very happy with the way it sounds. I can actually hear it at speed now. I am getting the occasional backfire on deceleration so I guess I will start by blocking the air line (marble trick?) and see if that helps. Now if Spring would finally show up maybe I can start riding again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts