Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Royal Enfield

I had a 94 Roal Enfield 500 DeLuxe for 3 years. It was a demo which I purchased from the dealer and it hadn't been broken in correctly. I purchased an aftermarket warranty which covered the top end rebuild which it eventually required. It was not a bike for 2 up riding but was capable of 55mph on flat highway. it did require frequent carb adjustment and did not like sitting with the clutch in for very long. I bought it because it was unique and sold it for what I paid for it. I have since purchased a 2006 Ural which I have ridden for 4 years. The Ural is a much more powerful bike capable of 55mph with 2 good sized riders. I just sold my 1989 BMW K100RS in favour of a 2002 Vulcan Nomad. Of all the bikes I have ridden the Nomad is by far the most comfortable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and info rboate. I've been online reading reviews and, as with anything, they are mixed. I may have to go check one out in person.

It's obviously not built for speed or very long rides, but overall the single cylinder FI 500 sounds like a fantastic commuter bike.
RE states that the initial tests came in at 85 mpg! I'm sure that real world numbers would be much lower due to traffic and road conditions. Not all of us ride our bikes exclusively on the test track in excellent weather. :)

Again, thanks for the reply.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
sd, that royal enfield i think is made in idia? it being an ancient british design,, it wasn't worth the design ink back when it was considered new.. 100yrs ago.
tho it has all kinds of nostalgia written all over it,, it is a p.o.s. as far as any kind of actually riding it and counting on it to work when you need it.
if you just want to park it and look at it and say you have one,, well it sort of fits that bill perfect.
but as for a reliable piece of roadworthy machine.. you really need to reconsider where you are throwing your hard earned money. there are a lot of other bikes (not necessarily new) that have that old skool flavor and you can actually count on.

if a brit twin was in yor liking.. look at some of those triumphs,, they got some old skool styling going for them. just saying is all, ponchout

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
A few years back I was also interested in a Royal Enfield. I did a lot of research and talked to a few folks and they all pretty much said that it's a "tinkerers" bikes.
Kind of like the old MG's cars and Thriumph and Harleys.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the more I read and think about it the less attractive it seems to be. It does seem as though it one of those things that you throw money at just so you can say "Oooohhhh, look at what I have!".

I have a '71 Triumph Bonneville frame and front end just sitting and collecting dust. Maybe I need a new project. :eek:

·
Registered
392 Posts
although i have not owned a royal enfield, i have been to a kansas city royals baseball game, in the infield. so i speak with some authority here on "royal infield", 14th row seats with hotdog mustard on my shirt. it was a good time. i hope this helps your decision making, hehe :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... with hotdog mustard on my shirt.
The foodstuffs are supposed to go in the mouth hole!

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards building upon the Bonny frame that I have. I mentioned it to the boss, and she about blew a head gasket! The only thing that really concerns me, besides the total cost of the project, is running an air cooled engine in the Texas heat.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
If I remember correctly, the old, original ones were known for only one good thing, a "neutral finder". Maybe that's what inspired Kawi to have them.
Back when some oddballs actually rode Enfields, I had Kawis with neutral all the way down at the bottom, which made for some interesting moments when you were downshifting in corners!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
The foodstuffs are supposed to go in the mouth hole!

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards building upon the Bonny frame that I have. I mentioned it to the boss, and she about blew a head gasket! The only thing that really concerns me, besides the total cost of the project, is running an air cooled engine in the Texas heat.
You'll probably be much happier when you see that Bonney frame marked "SOLD" on eBay!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll probably be much happier when you see that Bonney frame marked "SOLD" on eBay!
Well, that may be true, but I just like having a small piece of motorcycle history in my hands. Maybe I should just clean it up and hang it on the wall. :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
I owned a '57 "Enfield INDIAN" and it was sweeet ! I bought it in early '68 and put on about 150 miles before it rattled appart. It was scattered all over this guys garage floor when I saw it and he only wanted $300 for it. Of course he slammed it together and didn't install the locks on the primary shaft and crank on drive side so it would loosen on acceleration and tighten on decelleration. I took it apart and found that parts were 9 months away and the recruiter call the next morning saying Time To Go ! I wrapped it up and hung it out of way on the walls and when I got back home a yr later, all the stuff that was important was GONE ! I've hated theives every since and only got reveng on one ! as far as I know he is still laying where I left him, in front of the liquor store ! But it felt SO GOOD !

·
Registered
392 Posts
That’s an interesting story. But I do have a comment about thieves. People steal for a variety of reasons, some are simply misguided. However I don't think violence or incarceration is the answer, as these responses will usually see the thief continuing to steal. I think we need to build a series of rehabilitations centers in highly populated areas. If someone is caught stealing a car or motorcycle parts, this person should attend classes. These classes would allow the suspect to explain what makes him steal. Once this is established a professional counselor assisted by a psychologist would formulate a multistep rehab program to teach the suspect the error of his ways. And also guide him with a long term plan including state funded education. We need to be an understanding community. Plus, he might not want to steal after this helpful education. I believe spending these tax dollars in this manner would help these lost individuals, and benefit all of society. The individual who stole your motorcycle parts and all other car thieves have a good person inside them. They just need some love and understanding to get that good person out. Hmmm, on second thought, I think all thieves should be shot on the spot, :soldier: and left for buzzard food! :terror:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Six years ago I had one with a sidecar. Looked neat and got lots of comments. But yes, it is a tinkerer's bike. Always needed something adjusted. And, the linkage to put the gearshift on the left was sloppy which made it difficult to shift. Got tired of it after about six months and sold it. The sidecar was nice as it had room to carry a toolbox and spare parts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They actually have a dealership in Tuscaloosa and sell mopeds right beside the RE's. I was next door getting some work done on my pick up and walked over to check them out.

They have some really nice machines. The owner of the shop told me everything is exactly as they were back in the day except now they use fuel injection. They had one with a sidecar that was two tone crimson and vanilla. I wanted to take it home with me, it looked so good.

I don't know how they would be on the highway but sitting still they make the grade A in classic retro looks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I too liked the old school look and did a lot of research. But like others have said, it's made in India and requires tinkering and adjustments. Instead, decided on the Vulcan Classic SE. So glad I didn't make a mistake.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Royal Enfield

The old school look is intriguing...However, when I thought of buying one, I researched it via google, and so on and found almost all commenters lamented that it was really crummy in the quality and reliability areas..

I ran away fast..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts