Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did several searches and came up empty. Has anyone here removed their dash panel? I have my bike mostly torn down anyway and have been wanting to paint my dash. Now I am looking into hyrdographics.

Seems there's a lot of "stuff" attached to this thing. I am thinking the gauges and radio are likely attached to a frame and not necessarily the dash. Looking for someone who has actually removed the dashboard for any guidance. Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
have you got the windshield and front fairing off?I believe when I looked the last time I had mine off that the gauges are bolted to the fairing frame from behind the dash ,inside the front fairing area.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I did several searches and came up empty. Has anyone here removed their dash panel? I have my bike mostly torn down anyway and have been wanting to paint my dash. Now I am looking into hyrdographics.

Seems there's a lot of "stuff" attached to this thing. I am thinking the gauges and radio are likely attached to a frame and not necessarily the dash. Looking for someone who has actually removed the dashboard for any guidance. Thanks!
Are you talking about the peace right behind the windshield or the panel around the instruments?

If you are talking about what in the service manual is called the inner panel the instructions start with "Remove leg shields". I know this because my gauges vibrate on acceleration and they still do because getting to them and putting it all back together will probably take most of a weekend. But maybe someone knows a short cut.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Think he is talking about the black part of dash that you're looking at around the gauges and radio. Only guessing but should have 6-8 screws holding it in from inside the fairing. Once the fairing is off, you should be able to tell then.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, what Rick said, the black dashboard. The part where the speakers mount to, where the instruments and radio are. I don't have the fairing off yet, but I plan to do that anyway for an amp install.

There seems to be instructions on here to remove just about everything; windshield, fairing, tank, rear wheel, exhaust, etc. I was surprised I hadn't seen anything on removing the dashboard.

Well...this might be a good time to make one for anyone else interested, LOL!!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
let us know what you learn. Personally I am not looking forward to the task but it is on my to do list. Just a heads up, the well nuts on the windshield like to disappear.They are 7 bucks a peace from the dealer but if you have a NAPA parts store close by they sell them for under $6 for a set of three. Part # 665 2371, !" 6mm

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Sure, I've had mine apart.

Impressive, I just had the steering head bearings and forks serviced and they dropped the whole front end out without taking the fairing off. I can tell you followed the directions in the service manual. Buy the way, what brand of socket did you find to fit in the well around the head nut. I tried four different kinds with no luck. I gave up and let a shop do it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Impressive, I just had the steering head bearings and forks serviced and they dropped the whole front end out without taking the fairing off. I can tell you followed the directions in the service manual. Buy the way, what brand of socket did you find to fit in the well around the head nut. I tried four different kinds with no luck. I gave up and let a shop do it.

Did it cure the wobble you had? They replace bearings? This was on the Voyager? God, I sound like a little kid, all questions!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Was that on purpose? LOL!!!

Do you remember what was involved with removing the dashboard?

I wanted to do a complete service on the bike. Cleaned the back side of all parts removed, tightened every fastener, lubed and retorqued the steering bearings, lubed the swingarm bearings, had the forks rebuilt with new springs and gold valve cartridge emulators, etc. The dashboard is the last part removed if I remember correctly.
Tools are Craftsman.

Nothing complex. Kawasaki makes sure the connectors are organized so you know what plugs into what. I either bag and label the fasteners based on location, or I put them back in the part that was removed.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not servicing the forks but it is amazing how dirty it is on the backside of the parts.

I did get the dash removed. The three 10mm (I am listing by the size of the socket, not the size of the bolt) bolts holding the radio mount frame need removed and the radio slide out. It fits tight to the dash but it pups out.

The skeleton frame needs to be unbolted from the chassis and the frame and dash come out together. Four 10mm bolts are in front of the triple tree, one 12mm on each side just above where the crash bar mounts to the chassis. I took some pics but not enough once I got into it but when I put back together I will get more and may post them up.

Once the dash and frame is removed (I had my son feed the harness back through the dash while I pulled it off) everything can be broken down further if need be. I'm looking to have the dash hydro dipped and I will be seeing that guy next week to see what that will take. Overall not too bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts