Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ’01 800B came with VH Straightshots installed, and they are simply too loud for me. Yeah, sounds great revving it in the parking lot but after an hour or so of riding not so much. I installed the $75 quiet baffles, hoping to avoid buying a whole new exhaust. Nice improvement in tone but still too loud even at low RPM cruising. So, the time has come to bite the bullet and pony up $400 for a new set of pipes.

Can anybody out there comment on the loudness of various exhausts? It is a very subjective subject but I’m looking for a relative comparison to something I have already heard. I would just modify the existing baffles but there is simply no room in that 2” pipe to add anything without restricting the flow. Looks like I will either go with VH Cruzers or Cobra Slashcuts, as they have a larger “muffler” portion. OEM is not an option (too quiet/poppy/sewing machine sounding and the bike is grampsized and needs the flow).

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I removed the rear most baffle from my stock exhaust and really like it. It is still loud when you rump on it, but mellows out to a deep tone at cruise. May be able to buy a set of stock pipes fairly cheap. I completely removed the rear baffle, there are 3, but think would be a tad quieter if you just drilled the end out of the baffle, 1" hole saw down the pipe to remove the plug?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a set of cruzers installed, via PO. I am planning on re packing the baffles to see if will quiet down some. Other than that, I find that I have to wear ear plugs, as the drone at speed makes my ears hurt some what. It could be the wind, but the pipes are a tad loud for me. Not that I would change them at the moment, but eventually I would like a 2 into 1 set up.

Just my two cents.

Mojo

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Not that I would change them at the moment, but eventually I would like a 2 into 1 set up.

Just my two cents.

Mojo
Do you know of a manufacturer that's still making a 2 into 1 for the Vulcan 800?
I believe most have been discontinued but maybe one will pop up by searching ebay every once in a while.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I took the stock baffles out of my cobra dragsters and put it the "quiet core" baffles. Well, that's still pretty loud so... since I was missing the cobra chrome end caps I realized that I could cut the original baffles in half and use the same bolt hole that the end caps use to mount the cut baffles behind the quiet cores. It's more of a medium loud now and it doesn't rattle my brain after an hour of riding. I think I would like it a tad bit quieter but this is good enough that it doesn't irritate me like it did before after a long ride.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I like the straight parts of the silvertail headers, but am not a fan of long tapering mufflers.
i was going to bend the flexi on mine into tight curves and straight sections, but once it was finished, just couldnt be bothered (g)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Surely you could just wrap the baffles in some wadding to quieten them down?
Fibreglass wrap would do it. Secure it with some thick wire twists. It would need re-doing every so often, but sure beats the expense of new pipes?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Surely you could just wrap the baffles in some wadding to quieten them down?
Fibreglass wrap would do it. Secure it with some thick wire twists. It would need re-doing every so often, but sure beats the expense of new pipes?
The baffles did come with fiberglass wrapping but I think if I can find a way to extend the quiet baffles using part of my old standard baffles, and wrap those as well, that will help and not reduce the cross sectional area of the pipe.
I think I will just go the above route, as it sounds based on everyone’s comments, that the limited existing options are not really as ‘quiet’ as I want anyway, so It’d be worth at least attempting to add more baffling to my existing straightshots.
Thanks to all for the input, as always!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The baffles did come with fiberglass wrapping but I think if I can find a way to extend the quiet baffles using part of my old standard baffles, and wrap those as well, that will help and not reduce the cross sectional area of the pipe.
I think I will just go the above route, as it sounds based on everyone’s comments, that the limited existing options are not really as ‘quiet’ as I want anyway, so It’d be worth at least attempting to add more baffling to my existing straightshots.
Thanks to all for the input, as always!
I had V&H slash cuts on my 800, to quieten them I took the baffles out, drilled small holes across the rear section at 90 degrees, stuffed kitchen sink stainless steel scouring pads inside, and used masonry nails through the holes in a cross pattern to hold them in place. the more you use, the quieter is gets.
They fall apart after time and slowly disappear, but they are very cheap to replace.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey bob, do you mean that you stuffed the steel wool in the center (main) passage of the baffle (Usually the dampening material is installed around the baffle)? I thought of doing something like this but wondered if it would decrease the flow capability. Did you notice any decrease in performance or rich condition at higher RPM?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey bob, do you mean that you stuffed the steel wool in the center (main) passage of the baffle (Usually the dampening material is installed around the baffle)? I thought of doing something like this but wondered if it would decrease the flow capability. Did you notice any decrease in performance or rich condition at higher RPM?
yes, I put two scouring pads in each pipe, and held them in place with two nails each, forming a cross. the materiel is very open, but breaks up the sound waves. If you feel thats too restrictive, use one.
I did not feel any difference in power, maybe a dyno test would show up a loss, but it did not affect my day to day driving.
Of course they slowly disintegrate with use, but you know that when the pipe gets louder again.
i used this for about a year untill I sold the bike.

Give it a try, the cost is pennies, and if you dont like it, its completely reversible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.