Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've done this, would you please let me know about the splicing of any wires required to make this work? Mine is arriving Thursday and I'm curious to know if it's still plug-and-play like 2018 and earlier models. I have a 2020 model and the Matt Gecko website states it may require splicing on a 2019 and newer.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you've done this, would you please let me know about the splicing of any wires required to make this work? Mine is arriving Thursday and I'm curious to know if it's still plug-and-play like 2018 and earlier models. I have a 2020 model and the Matt Gecko website states it may require splicing on a 2019 and newer.

Thanks
Interesting - I have one on the way also and I also have a 2020 model - so I'm very interested to know what the story is here.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thanks
Ok - so I've asked this dude here that has recently uploaded a video of the install on his 2020 model. In the comments he says that no splicing is needed - see the comments on this video :

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also mention, if anyone has the CAFE deflector, you don't even need to remove it to get the housing off and back on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to add, the light cutoff on low beams is so sharp, the light doesn't project down the road far enough. Emailed with Matt Gecko and his suggestion was to add some washers behind the light posts, but managing to do that seems next to impossible. Not 100% certain I want to keep this light. It's almost unusable unless you have the high beams on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Piece of cake to install alright... I have the OEM Café windshield and LED light bar and was still easy enough with a socket extension.

Interesting about the projection distance - even though I got this mainly to be more visible in daytime. Regarding the washers... a tip could be to try using blu-tack to keep the washers in place which is what I've had to do in the past. Not sure what you call blu-tack in the USA. Someone said poster-putty?

Also - for anyone considering purchasing this in Europe - I had to pay €100 in customs fees. I love how round that number is. Total bullshit!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't get the washers on for the life of me. I'm pretty pissed about spending $375 with shipping on a light that is just dangerous.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can't get the washers on for the life of me. I'm pretty pissed about spending $375 with shipping on a light that is just dangerous.
What's the nature of the difficulty? Could pre-placing the washers behind the light with a couple of dabs of hot glue help?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's the nature of the difficulty? Could pre-placing the washers behind the light with a couple of dabs of hot glue help?
Yes, that's the problem. Trying to hold washers in place while getting the bolt through them is next to impossible. Will have to try gluing some on, but now the problem is if I add enough washers to make a difference, the bolt is too short. Going to have to get some longer bolts that fit. That fact I have to mickey mouse this thing is a major disappointment. It should be designed from the manufacturer to aim properly right out of the box. Others have had the same issue.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, instead of washers, I decided to buy some rubber spacers with M6 (6mm) hole. Bought them in different sizes, with some at 4mm deep, some at 6mm and a couple at 10mm. They arrive on Saturday, so we'll see how that goes. I think it will be much easier to get them in place if they are rubber and single pieces.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, instead of washers, I decided to buy some rubber spacers with M6 (6mm) hole. Bought them in different sizes, with some at 4mm deep, some at 6mm and a couple at 10mm. They arrive on Saturday, so we'll see how that goes. I think it will be much easier to get them in place if they are rubber and single pieces.
Nice idea! Keep us posted! I didn't realise we were talking about that much depth at all!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice idea! Keep us posted! I didn't realise we were talking about that much depth at all!
Just installed the 10mm spacers on the bottom attachment points. Hopefully this does the trick, because if I have to add another 5mm, the angle of the bolt will be changed significantly enough that it won't go in straight. I'll test it out tonight and report back. So much easier to install a rubber spacer than stacking up 3-5 metal washers. I should also mention that I had to get longer bolts at Home Depot. M6 x 1.5in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's great to know! Thanks for letting us know... I'll have to get on Amazon! You reckon 1.5 inches is the right length for the bolts you need?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts