Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought an 02 Impala last year. Everything was working great on it until last week, I got a new key cut for it and ever since on occasions it will not start. We replaced the starter and that didn't help. There is a light that comes on that shows a padlock over a car door, turns out this is the anti theft device and that is what is causing the problems.
Today I go out to go to the store, and it happened again.
Hubby and I have spent hours online trying to find the problem and solutions, but it seems it should have been a recall thing because it is common on these cars, but there is not one thing that fixes it, different things have worked for different cars. I can't afford to put it in a shop for them to figure it out right now, and since it seems like trial and error on the repair, at $60 an hour labor that can get expensive fast, and 2 days later it may start again.
So, if you have had this problem, or have dealt with it in the past, please share what worked for you. I would rather not install a new computer in the car, and we have heard there is a way to bypass the anti theft protection. Seems like the bypass would be better for our situation.
If you have any ideas, speak up! I need all the help I can get, at this point I can't take it anywhere without the risk of it not starting and being stranded some where.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Not sure we have the same issue but your and my Son's car (04 Pontiac Grand Am) are both GM. The other day he had a red light flashing "security" and the car would not start or even turn over. Called the local repair place and they thought they just needed to get into the computer and clear it so we called for a tow. While at the shop I went on line and discovered that the security is called "pass lock" and there are tons of folks having this same issue. I discovered a short term fix just to get back on the road but permanent fixes varied from replacing the computer the computer to a small sensor on the ignition called a "hall effect sensor". Anyway, the shop calls and says they can't get into the car at all and offered to tow it to the GM dealer some ways away for free. I asked him to try the fix I found on the Internet which is to turn the ignition to the "on" position and wait 10 minutes until the security light stops flashing. Then turn the ignition off and start the car, he said sure and talk to you in ten. He calls back and tells me it worked and I can pick up the car. It has not happened since but I am sure it is only a matter of time. I wonder if the 10 minute thing might work on your car to reset the sensor? Just a thought.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Jeff

I will give that a try as soon s I walk outside.
I have been trying to get it to start all day and hae had no luck t all, and the computers aren't cheap for these cars.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9 hours

and it still won't start. Tried everything quick and easy, so we called the dealer.
Hubby is furious, I'm annoyed, dealership is amazed because they have never heard of such a thing! LOL! He gave them the URL for google and said they should know what to do with it...
Oh well, guess it's a good thing I got the bike on the road yesterday :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the computer

Yeah, so we think now that there are 2 ways to go about fixing the problem, we can take all our keys and have them cleared and the chips in them re-programmed and clear the computer and have it re-set. This looks like the "cheap" way.
We were also told a whole new computer may be needed if the above didn't work...
Then we talked to a mechanic who thinks outside the box ( not from the dealership) and he said since it isn't a brand new car, he could just by-pass the security features and the problem will end there, that's the cheapest solution at about $100.00. I think that is the way were gonna go with this. After just paying off my bike, I don't have much money left until next payday, so it is going to have to wait a week to get fixed and I'll ride the bike in the mean time.
It amazes me that this all started when we got a new key cut at the dealership. That was the first time it happened, and now 10 days later and I have a totally dead car.:(

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Do you have both keys that came with the car from the factory? If you do try both keys. Maybe they did something that messed up the key when the made the new one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok time for the car to be towed

It has been dead in the driveway since last week.

We have tried all the keys, original and the new ones, and had a new one cut from the computer at the dealer again. Still nothing. Pass lock light is still flashing, we disconnected the battery for 8 hours trying to re-set the computer, still no luck.
This isnt a good time for this to happen after just paying off the bike cause I am now broke, but at least I have the bike to ride, if I didn't pay it off I would have nothing, so there is a bright side after all.
I can bet the the worst news is yet to come, and that will be what this costs to fix and the towing into town 20 kms away.
When we get it fixed, I'll post what they did to it so if anyone else goes through this they will know what to do!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Newsflash from PEI: Impala starts after old starter put back in!

The pass lock light was still doing it's thing and preventing our Impala from starting this morning, so it has been about 6 days now with no car. So hubby was getting pretty irritated ( understatement of the year LOL!) and ripped out the brand new starter and put the old one back in.
Guess what? Pass Lock light is now out and the car is starting again, so it must have been a problem with the new starter right? We will be taking it back and trying another one on the weekend, as they have to order one in for us. So that is good news, IF and I do mean IF that was the only problem.
However, we will not be taking the car anywhere to far from home because it could decide to act up again and leave us stranded. However it could save us over $1000.00 if we need to replace the computer/ and or chip/BCM or ignition tumblers, and the keys too. The quotes we got were astounding to say the least. Thank goodness my bike got paid off before this happened or I wouldn't be riding and that would make me irritated (another understatement)
The really good news in all this is I am getting out on the bike a lot more :cool: yeah cool, I am getting out on it wearing long johns and 3 sweaters and 2 pairs of socks and still cold...wonder if I can get the heated clothing and connect it up to the 02 Drifter? Anyone tried that with the 800? I also need to hook up a stereo and a charging plug for my cell and MP3 player.

Heading into town on it soon to do some grocery shopping. Sure wish this thing had saddle bags, and don't even say it, until we figure out the car issue I can't spend a cent on the bike to buy any, I'll be lucky if I can change it over into my name and get a legal plate for it within the next 2 weeks. Let's hope the pipes don't get me pulled over/. or the plate and then they decide to do a check on the pipes or I'll be screwed and have a lot of fines to pay.:mad:

So, everyone keep your fingers crossed that on the rainy days I have a ton of dogs that need to be groomed so I can makes lots of money, and on the sunny days I only have a few, so I can still ride :)

I'll update you on the trials and tribulations of Impala ownership when anything new happens :) I loved this car until this happened, hopefully the love will return. Oh and to add something else, I was offered a lot of money for my bike this past weekend, way more than I paid for it and I turned it down. So I am going to check a few other sites for a 800 Vulcan and see if I can find one for this fella to purchase, cause he isn't getting mine!

Until then,hope everyone gets in a lot of rides! ride safe and see some sights...I'm still waiting to see some pics from everyone rides they are taking..hint hint!

PS. If anyone has an Impala and you go to start it, could you tell me when you start it and your computer lights start flashing, what lights come up upon starting, our flashes battery, pass lock. We would like to know if anyone else has the same lights or others upon start up.
Thanks to all for following this mess with the car LOL!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I worked for a Chevy dealer, this is a common problem. Take it to Autozone and they can check the computers for diagnostic codes.

Usually you need to replace the Passlock sensor which is part of the ignition lock cylinder housing. Sometimes it can be caused by the Body Control Module. But usually when this goes bad you will notice other concerns such as lights acting strange.

Get it fixed before it lets you down someplace.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts