Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running the Thunder air kit for stock cover on my 2012 Voyager. I don't mind the sucking sound, but the clattering is driving me nuts. It sounds like a bunch of marbles inside the engine. I even removed the air kit and went back to stock, but I missed the power and added torque, especially when passing slower vehicles on long uphill grades at 70+. So I am back to the Thunder kit.

So, my question, can you still hear the clattering with the Tornado? Seems like it would be quieter and I like that the intake is in the cooler air stream. However, I am wondering if the gooseneck hits your leg and if the fairing interferes with the intake. Anyone have any pics?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Well, I am running the Tornado Air Kit on my 2011 Vaquero, it is quieter than the one you are running for the stock cover. Think it pulls in more air and thus gets better performance overall.

Doesn't get in the way of my leg and fits just right into the air stream. I got the flat black model on my black Vaquero. Sorry, no closeup pictures of it on my bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am running the Tornado Air Kit on my 2011 Vaquero, it is quieter than the one you are running for the stock cover. Think it pulls in more air and thus gets better performance overall.

Doesn't get in the way of my leg and fits just right into the air stream. I got the flat black model on my black Vaquero. Sorry, no closeup pictures of it on my bike.

Thanks, Roadie, that confirms my assumptions about noise and performance. I just wish I'd thought it through before jumping in with the stock cover kit. I sat on a Vulcan 1500 once with a Tornado and I had to stick my knee out at a weird angle to get around the gooseneck. I suppose I could get used to it, but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be on long rides. What do you think, compared to the stock cover, how does it affect your riding position?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
The Tornado mounts/sits well forward and doesn't effect my riding position at all. I never squeeze my tank hard with my legs anyway and I am only 5'9".

I have been on three multi-state cross country trips on the Vaquero with the Tornado Air Kit in use, I really like the performance and the look of it. Heading on another trip cross country this September.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have some close-up pics of their Voyager or Vaquero with a Tornado intake?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
I feel your pain RainDragon. I just installed the same kit on my 2012 and it drives me nuts as well, but I can't see any other setup being quieter because the stock plastic box served as a noise suppressor. If you find a quiet setup please let me know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
i was looking at the ally cat air cleaner and havnt as im afraid it will be to noisy,
has any one heard one of these ????

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Do you also have aftermarket slip-ons? I was getting a lot of tapping/popping noise around 2,500-2,800rpm with the Chucksters Air Intake System. It seems to have stopped with the addition of Tri-ovals.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The Tornado mounts/sits well forward and doesn't effect my riding position at all. I never squeeze my tank hard with my legs anyway and I am only 5'9".

I have been on three multi-state cross country trips on the Vaquero with the Tornado Air Kit in use, I really like the performance and the look of it. Heading on another trip cross country this September.
Roadie does the tornado air kit come with everything you need to install it? I was thinking of getting it in black.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you also have aftermarket slip-ons? I was getting a lot of tapping/popping noise around 2,500-2,800rpm with the Chucksters Air Intake System. It seems to have stopped with the addition of Tri-ovals.
Yes, I have V&H slip-ons. After 8000 miles you'd think I'd be used to the sound by now, but it still bugs me. Although, not enough to remove the air kit again. I'm too addicted to the extra power and torque so I guess I just need to suck it up.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Roadie does the tornado air kit come with everything you need to install it? I was thinking of getting it in black.

Got it in black, comes complete for replacement on the right side, but the flat replacement plate for the left side is extra. So just order together to replace both stock covers.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have any pictures of it installed on the bike you can post?

·
Registered
170 Posts

Roadie, Did you use the throttle body gasket with the Tornado?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. Do you have any pictures of it installed on the bike you can post?
Here is a post I found with some pics of the Tornado on a Vaquero: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=177347&postcount=211. I think it looks pretty bad-ass. Travis at Thunder tells me, "It should fit a Voyager", but after seeing how it tucks under the fairing lower on the Vaquero I'm convinced it will never fit a Voyager. The Voyager lower is much thicker at the top and it doesn't look like there would be room for the filter. Oh well, guess I should have bought a Vaquero.:)

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Roadie, Did you use the throttle body gasket with the Tornado?

Yes, I used the gasket, only getting popping on deceleration at 2100 rpm at times.

Travis at Thunder claims that they will fit and work on the Voyager, too.

There are a few inches between the end of the Tornado and the lower fairing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, I used the gasket, only getting popping on deceleration at 2100 rpm at times.

Travis at Thunder claims that they will fit and work on the Voyager, too.

There are a few inches between the end of the Tornado and the lower fairing.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about getting a Thunder air kit but I think I'll go with the tornado now. What map are you using on your PCV?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about getting a Thunder air kit but I think I'll go with the tornado now. What map are you using on your PCV?

Got a custom map for the PCv from DavidSheek here on the forum. Works the best so far, went through 4 others, but his works great for my setup.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tornado does not fit Voyager

Well, the verdict is in, the Thunder Tornado does not fit on a Voyager. I just had to try even though I was all but certain that the Tornado would not fit the Voyager. Travis at Thunder Mfg was optimistic that it would so I ordered it and gave it a try. Sure enough, the Tornado filter is about three inches too long even after sliding it up on the neck as far as it would go. K&N has some shorter filters but Travis said they would not flow enough air, so back it goes. Too bad. I really wanted to see if the Tornado was quieter than the Thunder stock cover kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I know a couple of Voyager owners who did go with the shorter K&N filter with no problems over the past year and several thousand miles, plus on of them cut down the neck on the Tornado by 2 inches and it is working great he says.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right, those were my two options to make it fit and I considered both of them. I am pretty sure the shorter filter would work fine. It has a larger diameter and should still have plenty of surface area for air flow. I think cutting the neck back by two inches and using the longer filter would probably look better. I understand why Thunder cannot endorse and support either of those options. Part of me wishes I had just tried it, but it would be an expensive experiment. Not knowing anyone who had done it I opted to bag the idea and send it back rather than risk being stuck with a $260 chrome paper weight. Wish I could have talked to those two guys first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts