Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Wife and I are looking at a new car. Mine has well over 200k, hers is at 160k. We've had 'em for a long time! Thinking about selling mine and getting a 2014 Focus SE. Took it for a test drive and liked it. Wondered if any forum members had a newer focus and wanted to share their thoughts?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
My son and nephew both had a Focus. While not a 2014 the nephew is a big kid over 6' with a build to match, not fat just big n stocky. Anywho he constantly had the car in for the front or rear alignment. They finally told him the car was not built for "full figured girls" so to speak. Otherwise both got great mileage and were quite dependable.
My only drawback was sitting in my son's car it felt like I was riding on the ground. (low)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son and nephew both had a Focus. While not a 2014 the nephew is a big kid over 6' with a build to match, not fat just big n stocky. Anywho he constantly had the car in for the front or rear alignment. They finally told him the car was not built for "full figured girls" so to speak. Otherwise both got great mileage and were quite dependable.
My only drawback was sitting in my son's car it felt like I was riding on the ground. (low)
What year is his?

They had a BIG redesign a couple of years ago. I test rode one and it 'feels' bigger than the older focuses. I'll look into that front end issue though. 40 mpg won't save you any money if you've gotta work on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's just be. If it can't handle one full figured girl how would it handle four occupants. The guys doing the alignment were full of it. The car has a rated capacity and it is way above your nephew unless he weighs in excess of 600 pounds.

I have never owned one but have only heard good things from friends that have them and drive em for 200k.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's just be. If it can't handle one full figured girl how would it handle four occupants. The guys doing the alignment were full of it. The car has a rated capacity and it is way above your nephew unless he weighs in excess of 600 pounds.

I have never owned one but have only heard good things from friends that have them and drive em for 200k.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
200k is what I'm hoping for! I kept my current car for over 200,000 miles and I fully intend to keep whatever I buy for that long.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would say a Honda Civic is a better choice IMHO. I have 2008 with 130,000 miles and have never done more than replace brakes and tires a couple times.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say a Honda Civic is a better choice IMHO. I have 2008 with 130,000 miles and have never done more than replace brakes and tires a couple times.
I looked at the Civic and also the Mazda. The Focus got better reviews. That and; well, I'm getting a retired employee family discount that's knocking about $6,000 off the price. Essentially I'm getting the SE package and a handful of options for about $500 less than the base model. So the price is definitely right. But if there were glaring issues I didn't know about, then that would still shy me away.

Haven't made a decision yet. I didn't like the interior of the Civic as much but Honda is reliable, for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Okay, this may not help, but we bought my daughter a 2013 focus hatchback. She hasn't had any trouble yet, but it's still pretty new. We did take a short vacation in it; 3 of us. Drove fine. It's a light car, and after a few hours you realized it's not as comfortable as the Chrysler 300, but it's not bad. We got around 36 mpg, on some mainly flat interstate type roads.
I have a Mazda 3 for when I'm not riding or in the pickup. 195k without any trouble, but it is a small car. I'm 6 ft, 215 lbs. A few hours and it starts shrinking in on you.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, this may not help, but we bought my daughter a 2013 focus hatchback. She hasn't had any trouble yet, but it's still pretty new. We did take a short vacation in it; 3 of us. Drove fine. It's a light car, and after a few hours you realized it's not as comfortable as the Chrysler 300, but it's not bad. We got around 36 mpg, on some mainly flat interstate type roads.
I have a Mazda 3 for when I'm not riding or in the pickup. 195k without any trouble, but it is a small car. I'm 6 ft, 215 lbs. A few hours and it starts shrinking in on you.
Haha.

My mom has a newer MX-5 miata. I'd driven it around town once but I was going to pick up my little sister from college (2 and a half hours away) and bring her home for the weekend. Original plan was to take the bike but my sister wasn't feeling well and didn't think she could handle a long bike ride, so I grabbed my car. Mom offered to let me take the Miata. I though; that'll be fun!

Oh it was MISERABLE! That is a REALLY REALLY small car! Sporty and fun, and it's great taking corners at sportbike speeds with the top down, but no getting around it is a SMALL CAR. As a matter of fact my head protrudes above the windshield (I can't drive it with the top up).

As far as comfort though; we still have the Taurus. It's an SEL model with heated leather seats and a moonroof and all of the suspension upgrades and all that good stuff. It's a few years old and has some miles; but boy is it comfy. So we have that if we need comfortable. But, if we go far, we take the bikes. I very rarely travel far in my cars. I don't drive them much to begin with anyway; honestly.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Friend of mine that happens to setting here now says his is a decent car, a 2010 5spd. He's about 5'10'' 225lbs, his wife 5'3" 200lbs or so. 2 boys 8 and 10. Has 89,000 miles, dependable, and comfortable for them. Says they average 32mpg.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

I did a lot more reading. Since they were completely redesigned in 2012 it's been a little hard to find a lot of info on them. A LOT of people have '10s and '11s, I imagine they were fire-saled out of dealers when the '12 redesign came out. You have to offer a steep discount to get someone to give up on the new style and features I guess.

We pulled the trigger. Issue is when we are gonna get it. A couple dealers in the midwest have cars like the one I want (I'm not desperate; I know EXACTLY how I want it configured and that's EXACTLY what I want). They thought they found one, but it fell through. So they are trying one more; if that's a no go, then they'll order it from Ford. Guess I don't mind either way but having it in a couple of days would be a little nicer than having it in 6-8 weeks! LOL. At least, that's why my dealer told me. It may be sooner from what I read online. The dealer may be "underpromising and overdelivering" on the delivery estimate.

I guess if it falls through the one cool thing about a special order is that it'll be 'hot off the press' with an October 2013 build date. He said they take the orders off the computer once a week, build and ship the special order cars. It'll come from Michigan.

Gonna be Tuxedo black with the SE package and the 'sport' package that gives disc rear brakes, different seats, fog lights, leather trim steering wheel and shifter; and I think a couple other things. I was mostly after the disc rear brakes.

Should look like this;

It does make me hate even more the front license plates Missouri requires (what are those for anyway??). It's gonna look goofy on that front end.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The comment about the alignment and "Big" people. I had an 01 Nissan Sentra, and it wore through the drivers side tires quicker than passenger side tires. Not just the front, but both front and back. Had it aligned and still not better. I was not told that by the a shop or mechanic, but that was all I could figure was going on with it because I rode it by my self 90% of the time. I know the people I sold it too and asked them to watch it and they said it has not give them any problems, it is use more as a family car than a solo car now. Don't know if it true or not but it started to convince me it was.

I get the discounts through Ford, GM, and Chrysler. It is a nice being able to get nice vehicle at base prices, or new and used prices.

Before I would not have owned a focus, heard too many bad thing about them. And since 2012 its hard to get an idea how long something will last since they have not been out that long. I wish you good look finding you one though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I too have spent too much time in a Miata (about 20 miles!) and it wasn't for me at all at 225 and 6'3". I felt like grape ape riding on top of the van!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I too have spent too much time in a Miata (about 20 miles!) and it wasn't for me at all at 225 and 6'3". I felt like grape ape riding on top of the van!
I have never drove one but sat in an older one and I see what you are saying. Fell kinda like this

·
Registered
105 Posts
The new Focuses look pretty cool. Is the one you are looking at a 5-speed or automatic? I myself prefer manual and I refuse to buy an auto.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new Focuses look pretty cool. Is the one you are looking at a 5-speed or automatic? I myself prefer manual and I refuse to buy an auto.
I agree. It's definitely gonna be a manual. Which is causing a bit of an issue finding one. There's one 500 miles away that the dealer is willing to trailer back here if the other dealer is willing to trade them (basically they'll take one of their cars up there, unload it, pick up the focus and haul it back). If that falls through; then we'll have to order it from the factory. So it's not "one I'm looking at", but rather one my wife and I configured and now Ford is trying to find for us! I guess it's not a 'common' configuration.

Their automatic though isn't actually an automatic. No torque converter. It's a dual clutch transmission. However; in order to solve the 'jerky shift' issue, they slip the clutches. Makes it shift smooth, but, also makes it kinda funky and weird. You can tell it's a clutch and not a torque converter, but at the same time it's kind of weird. The one I test drove was a "Select Shift" automatic (dual clutch 6 speed). While I was impressed, and preferred it over an automatic, (you still got engine braking and that nice, strong, directly accelerator feel; it really did feel like a stick shift someone else was shifting), I still prefer a manual. More fun to drive; plus, I intend to have this car for a long time. A dual clutch transmission sounds like something that's gonna break riiiiight after the warranty is up! LOL.

Oddly enough, they didn't have a single manual transmission Focus, of any color/size/style/configuration, at the whole dealer. That's why I test drove an automatic. (I was test driving the Focus, and the Fiesta, and a couple of other brands as well).

I can tell you though; this was my first experience with a Ford dealer, and I am beyond blown away. It was such a great experience, it'll be hard to justify even LOOKING elsewhere in the future.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
No body wants a manual anymore. I would rather have one than an Auto. I like the extra control you have over the vehicle and it just flat out funner to drive. It disappoints me that I could not get a new GMC with a manual, but at least they have the button on the end that allows you to limit what gears you do use. Sometimes it is nice to put one in 2nd and pull out in the snow. It makes it easier to control because it is not sending all that power to the wells so quickly, make it work a little. It seems like you can't get anything but spots cars and economy cars in manuals anymore.

·
Registered
702 Posts
No body wants a manual anymore. I would rather have one than an Auto. I like the extra control you have over the vehicle and it just flat out funner to drive. It disappoints me that I could not get a new GMC with a manual, but at least they have the button on the end that allows you to limit what gears you do use. Sometimes it is nice to put one in 2nd and pull out in the snow. It makes it easier to control because it is not sending all that power to the wells so quickly, make it work a little. It seems like you can't get anything but spots cars and economy cars in manuals anymore.
Less manuals being sold everywhere. Why? The cages are finding it too difficult to text/eat/beat the kids while they drive....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The extra control is big. Aside from being more fun to drive and more economical (It shaves thousands off the price; and may improve fuel economy), the control is amazing. Being able to precisely control how much power is being applied to the wheels is big. My last car, and my wifes car, are automatics. Looking forward to being back in a manual. Given a good deal on a used car I could consider an automatic; but I don't think I'll ever buy a new car with an auto.

Less manuals being sold everywhere. Why? The cages are finding it too difficult to text/eat/beat the kids while they drive....
Absolutely. I think it's that, and the lack of driver education. If you can drive around the block without hitting anything you can get a license. People don't know anything about their cars anymore; how they work, how to maintain them. Even what type of engine is in them. And they certainly don't want to learn how to use a manual transmission. I learned to drive on a manual. Yet there will be people who have never even seen a manual!

It still amazed me that the dealer had 40-something focuses in stock and not ONE (in ANY configuration) was a manual. 100% automatic. Salesman told me flat out; nobody wants them, nobody will buy them, it'll just sit in the lot. They rarely ever stock manuals except in the Mustang GTs.

Amazing how hard it is to find a used or in-stock manual.

In fact, to get the manual on something other than the base model; I've had to special order it. The order should go to the factory next week and the car should be built a week after that. He was able to find a few others but they were all either A) the high performance 'ST' package or B) the base model. Nobody wants a nicer SE model with a few extras, but still a manual transmission. I do! But I guess I'm all alone because they are gonna have to build it for me! LOL.

By the way, if anyone ever mentions to you that they can get you a Ford Employee Discount (X-Plan), look into it seriously! I cannot BELIEVE how much I'm saving. X-Plan is a benefit to some Ford employees. Basically, 3 times a year they can generate a 'pin' number and give it to anyone they want (friends, family, pizza delivery guy), that pin number authorizes you to buy the car for 8% below dealer cost with Ford reimbursing the dealer after delivery. AND it combines with incentives. I'm saving about $6,500 below sticker. And that's not on a $35,000 truck either. That's on a mid sized sedan! The dealer will be reimbursed by Ford, but the salesman did show me the 'do not show to customer' (was actually written on the top) invoice/price sheet. When I take this thing home they are in the hole by about $2,000. Well, at least until their reimbursement check from Ford comes in.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The extra control is big. Aside from being more fun to drive and more economical (It shaves thousands off the price; and may improve fuel economy), the control is amazing. Being able to precisely control how much power is being applied to the wheels is big. My last car, and my wifes car, are automatics. Looking forward to being back in a manual. Given a good deal on a used car I could consider an automatic; but I don't think I'll ever buy a new car with an auto.

Absolutely. I think it's that, and the lack of driver education. If you can drive around the block without hitting anything you can get a license. People don't know anything about their cars anymore; how they work, how to maintain them. Even what type of engine is in them. And they certainly don't want to learn how to use a manual transmission. I learned to drive on a manual. Yet there will be people who have never even seen a manual!

It still amazed me that the dealer had 40-something focuses in stock and not ONE (in ANY configuration) was a manual. 100% automatic. Salesman told me flat out; nobody wants them, nobody will buy them, it'll just sit in the lot. They rarely ever stock manuals except in the Mustang GTs.

Amazing how hard it is to find a used or in-stock manual.

In fact, to get the manual on something other than the base model; I've had to special order it. The order should go to the factory next week and the car should be built a week after that. He was able to find a few others but they were all either A) the high performance 'ST' package or B) the base model. Nobody wants a nicer SE model with a few extras, but still a manual transmission. I do! But I guess I'm all alone because they are gonna have to build it for me! LOL.

By the way, if anyone ever mentions to you that they can get you a Ford Employee Discount (X-Plan), look into it seriously! I cannot BELIEVE how much I'm saving. X-Plan is a benefit to some Ford employees. Basically, 3 times a year they can generate a 'pin' number and give it to anyone they want (friends, family, pizza delivery guy), that pin number authorizes you to buy the car for 8% below dealer cost with Ford reimbursing the dealer after delivery. AND it combines with incentives. I'm saving about $6,500 below sticker. And that's not on a $35,000 truck either. That's on a mid sized sedan! The dealer will be reimbursed by Ford, but the salesman did show me the 'do not show to customer' (was actually written on the top) invoice/price sheet. When I take this thing home they are in the hole by about $2,000. Well, at least until their reimbursement check from Ford comes in.
The finance guy showed it to me too when I got my GMC truck using my GM one. Anytime you get the chance to use one do it. Like Romans said, you get the discount PLUS all rebates and customer incentives. Trust me, if you go in to buy one and you tell them you have this discount, you can tell it looks like you just let the air out of the salesman's balloon. They still get their money, but not as much as they could have gotten.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts