Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I was loading up my wife's '09 Classic, the engine suddenly started racing. I checked the throttle cables for binding but there wasn't any. I shut it off and restarted the engine and it did it again. WTF. Any ideas here? It' never done that before?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
When you say it did it again, you mean it does it every single time right?

Check the idle screw (Black thumb screw on the air cleaner facing the forks). It could have inadvertently gotten cranked way up. I'm assuming the throttle feels like it should, has some tension as it opens and closes right? Check the idle screw.

-John

·
Registered
424 Posts
Totally normal, most of the 900's do the same thing, seem's to be a glitch in the high idle software in the ECU.

Mine has done it for the last week or so.

Irritating as hell, but will stop by it self, I usually shut the engine off, and then reset and restart, work's some time but not always.

The idle will settle down on its own.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine did it. I put a Fi2000 on and it never did it again. I don't know if that's what fixed the problem, I just know that's what happened.

It can be a little embarrassing sitting at a light and all of a sudden your bike is off to the races. Usually (not always) turning it off and restarting it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine does it for about 3 seconds every time i start the bike. Bike is brand new, only 300 miles, just figured it was normal.
Just to be clear, there are two levels of fast idle. Assuming the bike is set to idle at 1200rpm normally, the first level of fast idle is around 1800-2000rpm. This one happens every time you start the bike. It is the normal warm up cycle that ensures you don't run the engine to long with cold oil. The next level has to be up around 3000rpm plus+++. It sounds like you are doing 55mph sitting still.

For me, it usually only happens when it is really cold out, but I have had it happen on warm days too. As said above, there seems to be a glitch in the ECM that tells the bike you have suddenly moved to Siberia in January and you need to really rev the engine to warm the oil. I think it is some combination of faulty temp and rpm readings that sets it off. But whatever it is, it can scare the crap out of you the first time it happens. The rpm's are fast enough that if you let out on the clutch, the bike will take off and run on its own at 15-20mph in 1st gear.

As for fixes, there are a few things you can try, but they don't always work.

1 - Let the clutch out just a bit until the transmission starts to engage then pull it back in. Sometimes this will wake up the ECM to realize it is acting like an ass. But more often it just pulls the rpm's from 3000 down to around 2700.

2 - Shut off the engine, turn the key off, wait a few seconds and then restart. This will sometimes fix it completely although you will have to go through the few seconds of normal warm up reving. Other times, it goes right back up to 3-grand.

3 - Ride it out. Pull in the clutch and just let the ECM act like a jerk until the road clears or the light changes to allow you to take off. Usually these fits don't last for more than a minute or two. So if you ride down the road a mile or so, the next time you pull in the clutch you should be back to normal.

4 - Sit and take it. Just stop and wait for the bike to get over the fit which won't take more than a minute or so.

PS- Normally when this happens for me, the bike will start as usual and drop to regular warm up idle. But as I pull out the parking lot or driveway, at the very next stop is when I notice the really high rpm's. Since I ride mostly in town, my next intersection is usually not far enough away for the bike to have warmed up completely. Anyway, if you don't panic, this will be no more than the occasional nuisance. I usually just ride it out.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Mine did for about 5 minutes usually after warm and starting again (like fueling up). Put on a Cobra Fi2000r and had my dealer make some adjustments. Problem solved.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This is interesting. I've got about 25k miles on my '07 custom and it's never done this. If I start her before she's done squeekin' and whinin' she may stall 1/2 a mile down the road, but she's never wound out like that.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, DUH!!! I completely forgot about it revving up when starting cold. And it was in the upper 30's that day. So I suppose it was responding to the cooler temps out. Jeez, Imfeel like a dunce. My '07 acts a bit differently, even when it's cold out.

I think the operative term here is, "egg on face."

Thanks for the input, guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts