Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I go with Mesquite low and slow. Briskets and turkeys at 120 degrees 16 hours.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
I love cooking, especially on the grill and the smoker! Baby Backs are the family and friends favorite. I'm told that my ribs are the best...ever! I haven't smoked a Turkey in way too may years. Last time I did was in a smoker I built myself. That was back when I practically smoked everything. My mouth is watering thinking of my smoked Salmon. I miss that darn thing.
@MN-Rider...thanks, now I'm craving some ribs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just ate supper but I think I could eat another one after looking at those ribs!
I do some grilling but I haven't smoked anything. Wouldn't mind trying/learning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm a professional "Smoked Meat Tester". There is no charge, just invite me for dinner and I will give you a professional opinion and review. :smile2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been wanting a green egg for awhile! Do you have the wifi temp controller? Right now I just use my grill with smoke box with hardwood or fruit wood from trees I cut down. Grape vines work amazing too. When I don't have a lot of time to sit and tend to the smoke box, I cheat.. I have a Bradley digital electric smoker. My old man calls it the wimps smoker, but I think he just upset because my pulled pork and brisket always turn out way better than his. I love the damn thing even though it does feel like cheating!

·
2,854 Posts
WIFI temp controller???????

I have a friend who thinks he makes the best briskets.... He has an OVEN!

Your dad is a wise man.

·
Registered
918 Posts
WIFI temp controller???????

I have a friend who thinks he makes the best briskets.... He has an OVEN!

Your dad is a wise man.
You can get wifi temp monitors, too. I bought my Dad one for Father's day and it's amazing. Basically, you're connecting your phone or tablet to it, telling the app what you're cookin' and it monitors the meat with a probe and let's you know when it's done. Works perfectly every time. Additionally, Dad has one of the egg grills. Talk about a world of difference! The grill gets hotter faster and cooks the meat faster. Dad has even cooked whole chickens and turkey's and pizza on his egg grill. Everything he cooks is perfect.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What equipment do you guys use? The Big Green Egg uses lump charcoal which is nothing like charcoal briquettes. Fruit and other woods can be added as well as pans for water/liquids. The Egg can also go up to temps near 600° and has an attachment (I haven't tried) for pizza so you can make pie in short order like pizzeria's do or sear steaks. I light the egg using a map gas torch and it takes literally 1 minute. Hook up controller, wait for 30 minutes to burn off bad smoke from your wood, cook. As far as the controller, there are several on the market but I use the Flame Boss 200 which is now the 300 I think. I will link to it below. The FB comes with a fan that goes in the egg's bottom vent and the top vent is almost entirely closed. The fan maintains temp by either increasing or decreasing the fan and is super accurate. HERE is the cook stats for the ribs above. Blue is what temp I told the FB to maintain, red is what the controller actually did. The green at the bottom is the fan. There is no meat stats here as the ribs are cooked by time, appearance and texture but when I do pork butts, there would be a meat temp here as well. The dips in the red you see are when I open the lid on the egg. The controller then waits for a period of time to allow the egg to recover to temp, if not, it begins the fan. A couple cool features with the FB. The new 300 has more leads so you can keep track of meat temps on three different pieces of meat. It is WIFI so you can access the controller from anywhere in the world you can access the internet via a browser, even your smart phone or tablet. You can set warnings to have the FB send your phone text messages say for a unusual high or low temp. You can then log in to the FB/cook and fully control the unit's temps for the pit or the meat or redo your alerts.

https://www.flameboss.com/

One of our pork butt cooks:

·
Registered
110 Posts
tis the season - i buy ribs, butts, and loins whenever they go on super sale, and freeze until the weather is right.

then i smoke about 2 or 3 times a month until it gets all cold again. I'm in (have been for a while now) the planning stages of building my own at the house. really torn between a big portable smoker, or a big stationary smoker.

did ribs and loin two weeks ago, chicken last weekend - probably a butt this weekend with a buddy for his boys birthday.

my current setup is a modified grill - kinda like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-32-in-Barrel-Charcoal-Grill/4743078 - but with a divider in the bottom for indirect heat and some other minor adjustments for air and smoke control.

·
2,854 Posts
I use regular old mesquite wood, cut and stacked for a couple of years. I will also use pecan wood when I can find some.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been told I cheat. We use a trager pellet grill and love it. Done brisket, turkey, whole chickens, and all your basic meats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pellet grills are awesome too. It is cheating, so is my electric. But hell if you ask some, using charcoal is cheating! I'm still working on uploading pictures. I just did some 1.75 pound ribeyes last week :grin2:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That is some good looking meat!

·
2,854 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those ribs look awesome. I can't cook ribs, I always screw it up
But I can grill a mighty fine steak
It is almost foolproof for me now. Along with the Big Green Egg I have a temp controller. This unit has two probes, one that registers the pit temp and another to monitor your meat (if needed, don't use for ribs). It has a fan that goes in the bottom vent and the top vent is only open the size of a dime. You tell the controller what temp you want and it will hold it there perfectly. It is a WIFI unit so I can monitor it from anywhere you can get internet service and use a browser. You can also change the temp while in the web browser, set alarms etc. I use the 3-2-1 method on ribs and it works for me. Room temp, rubbed ribs go on for three hours at 230-250°. If they look good and the meat has contracted some from the bones, they get put in foil with a little apple juice and light coat of BBQ sauce then back on the egg for two more hours. Last hour is rest under towels.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a Bradley - smoked two roasts last night - came out scrumptious. :)

10lb Brisket is next...
I want to do a full packer brisket too. They can be real finicky and have read about so many failures I just have put it off but soon I am gonna do one. My son just did another one on his gas smoker and used the flat to make burnt ends. Just looked amazing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts