Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did the sticky modification and what I failed to realize is that most y'alls bikes have gauges that read full when full then rapidly decline, hence the mod.

Mine reads 1/2 tank when actually full then rapidly declines. Then at about 50-60 miles I am already below 1/4 ish The modification did nothing.

2006, less than 2k miles, all bone stock sans me just putting sissy bar and river road throw-O bags

Ideas all knowing Vulcanites:D

/and thanks, this forum is pretty cool:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
So I did the sticky modification and what I failed to realize is that most y'alls bikes have gauges that read full when full then rapidly decline, hence the mod.

Mine reads 1/2 tank when actually full then rapidly declines. Then at about 50-60 miles I am already below 1/4 ish The modification did nothing.

2006, less than 2k miles, all bone stock sans me just putting sissy bar and river road throw-O bags

Ideas all knowing Vulcanites:D

/and thanks, this forum is pretty cool:cool:
Your problem is unique from the rest of ours. Please do the tests outlined in the other thread to determine if it is the gauge or the sender.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your problem is unique from the rest of ours. Please do the tests outlined in the other thread to determine if it is the gauge or the sender.
I hate being unique as it relates to problems. I don't really do tests well so I was hoping to find someone who might have seen, heard of this different version of kinda same gauge issue.

Kidding about tests! I honestly am not gifted with troubleshooting though.:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I hate being unique as it relates to problems. I don't really do tests well so I was hoping to find someone who might have seen, heard of this different version of kinda same gauge issue.

Kidding about tests! I honestly am not gifted with troubleshooting though.:mad:
Check the other thread about just jumpering across where the resistor would go.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Maybe the PO botched the resistor mod?...and sold it as is?

I don't get" this mod personally....when the gauge reads empty, you have a gallon left....it's exactly like having a reserve.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Maybe the PO botched the resistor mod?...and sold it as is?

I don't get" this mod personally....when the gauge reads empty, you have a gallon left....it's exactly like having a reserve.
Some people don't like the fact that the gauge drops like a rock, and will show half a tank or less after only a gallon or so has been used after topping off. This mod just makes the gauge read more accurately in the upper half of its range.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Some people don't like the fact that the gauge drops like a rock, and will show half a tank or less after only a gallon or so has been used after topping off. This mod just makes the gauge read more accurately in the upper half of its range.
Ahh, I see. I can see that being annoying. I don't have that problem....I "think" we've established that 09 or later seems to have no worries with the gauge. (other than it reading empty with a gallon left)....Some like to have an "accurate" gauge...I prefer the reserve...lol.

And Pac, thanks for the gentle clarification again, you have an uncanny way of explaining....without making someone feel like an idiot.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Ahh, I see. I can see that being annoying. I don't have that problem....I "think" we've established that 09 or later seems to have no worries with the gauge. (other than it reading empty with a gallon left)....Some like to have an "accurate" gauge...I prefer the reserve...lol.

And Pac, thanks for the gentle clarification again, you have an uncanny way of explaining....without making someone feel like an idiot.
Now if only a 20 cent resistor would fix the speedometer error.....:)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Now if only a 20 cent resistor would fix the speedometer error.....:)
Did that with my "taller" tire....well, ya know, till it wears down....lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, jumped the wires as suggested, nothing happened.

I think I am just going to move on. It isn't a big deal to have a wacky gauge and I just won the crap prize of the mod not working because I have a bad sending unit or gauge period. I will use odometer and of course the idiot light will come on, I think... Lol:)

thanks for the replies and help sorting this out.\!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2007 fuel gauge does work.

By all that I have read, the 2007 VN900 classic I purchased in April '12 had me concerned and vigilant of the fuel gauge. The gauge does seem to go down faster than I would expect. After a couple of fill ups at about 180 miles, then about 190 miles, I started thinking perhaps the idiot light on my used bike was actually broken. Both fills had left well over a gallon left in the tank. A few weeks ago I pushed the mileage, and found the light finally came on at 210 miles. The fill up showed that I had just under 1 gallon left. I guess I just lucked out.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I will use odometer and of course the idiot light will come on, I think... Lol
I am happy with hitting or getting close to 200 miles on OD and then filling up. Could care less about gas gauge. I feel safe knowing if it came down to it, the 900 would get close to 250 miles before going dry. I absolutely love this! This means that I can ride to 60 miles or more to nowhere for at least 3 days before worrying about it. Three days of fun is good medicine... :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
By all that I have read, the 2007 VN900 classic I purchased in April '12 had me concerned and vigilant of the fuel gauge. The gauge does seem to go down faster than I would expect. After a couple of fill ups at about 180 miles, then about 190 miles, I started thinking perhaps the idiot light on my used bike was actually broken. Both fills had left well over a gallon left in the tank. A few weeks ago I pushed the mileage, and found the light finally came on at 210 miles. The fill up showed that I had just under 1 gallon left. I guess I just lucked out.
Now you know the reserve light works. Light comes on at 1 gallon left. The reserve light has never been an issue, different measure system. What did the sweep gauge show on the first two fill ups. If it had been sitting on E for 40 miles then you have the same issue, if not check the plug, at the front of the tank, most likely it has the resistor fix. With the resistor fix the sweep gauge will measure 4 gallons fairly close, without the fix the gauge will measure 3 gallons and then sit on E for a gallon. My understand is the gauge was fixed on the 2010 model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The needle showed empty at about 175 to 180 miles. That prompted me to make that first fill up. When I had the tank off to install the wiring for 2 Wolo electric horns, I didn't notice the addition of a resistor in the wiring harness at the front of the tank. I new about the fix, and was looking.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Zip, if you're still out there, try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes. My guage always seemed more accurate after doing this. I don't know if it causes some sort of "reset" or what. Be aware that your clock and trip meter will be reset, too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zip, if you're still out there, try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes. My guage always seemed more accurate after doing this. I don't know if it causes some sort of "reset" or what. Be aware that your clock and trip meter will be reset, too.
Interesting. Thanks! I don't see a reason not to try this:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
@zippydog- Sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and take this problem to a authorized Kawi repair shop, if you know one you can trust; maybe the fix will be cheaper than you think.

To add to the gas gauge database/FWIW, my stock '09 Custom SE gauge very consistently reads pinned above full for the first 20 miles after a fillup, shows 3/4 at 50 mi, 1/2 at 90 mi, 1/4 at 130 mi, is centered on E at 160mi, drops below E and presumably drops onto the bottom peg at ~ 175 mi. My impression is that the gauge is fairly linear down to 1/2 tank, then starts dropping faster as it approacheds E. The low fuel light typically come on at ~ 190-200 miles, at which point a fillup takes take 4.0-4.2 gal (US), leaving a 1.1-1.3 gal reserve. Of course, how much of the reserve is actually usable before the fuel pump intake unports is anyone's guess; has anyone ever ridden a 900 completely out of gas to determine how much of the "reserve" is actually usable fuel before the engine quits?

If it was my problem, I'd get it fixed, since I like things to work the right way. Or you can just live with it and use your trip odo as your gas gauge, like on most bikes. Let us know what happens.

Regards- SH.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts