Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to do it tomorrow, just curious if anyone has done it and if they had any problems or suggestions. I usually just do the light heat gun and then fishing line technique (did that with the audi). Seems to work ok but wasn't sure if there was any issues with getting the vulcan badge off or if anyone had some other useful tips.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just make sure you protect the tank. I put a small gouge in a Road Star tank when I pulled too hard on the badge and the corner dug into the paint.

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I love watching bikers mosey up to the bike, slowly lean in to see what the badge says.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just make sure you protect the tank. I put a small gouge in a Road Star tank when I pulled too hard on the badge and the corner dug into the paint.
I think I wouldnt attempt it the clear coat on this bike is not very durable and scratches way to easy.I was told its because the paint on are bikes is an eco freindly paint thats not as durable as most bikes are. besides I went threw the debadge stage and IM proud to own a kaw just dont care if it looks like a harley anymore!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I love watching bikers mosey up to the bike, slowly lean in to see what the badge says.
Same here. It's even better when they say what's a Vulcan. Kawai didn't go over board with badges on my Nomad. They only marked 3 spots on the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input! i ended up going the heat gun and fishing line route. it was fairly simple, the tough part was getting that thick @$$ glue off that they use to hold the badge on. Goof off worked pretty well but i made sure to wipe it off quickly before it removed paint. turned out fantastic. found some pin up girl decals that look pretty good on it. pics to come shortly

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First time I've posted pics on here. Lets see if this works haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. No I'm not. I originally wanted to join the military as a pilot but was turned down for asthma. Went the civilian route. Now flying is just a hobby I'm air traffic control. I support the military however I can though and have great respect for all those who serve.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you get that decal, if you don't mind me asking.
Found it on ebay actually. I originally was going to go a brunette on one side and a blond on the other with the same stars n strips background. When I received the blond it was the sticker instead of the decal so i just put the brunette on both sides. It was my mistake, but the ebay member "isthisavailable13" was kind enough to replace it for half the price. I recommend them, shipping was super fast! Here's the link, but for those looking at this when that specific auction expires just search that user name or search "waterslide decal stars and bars".

The brunette decal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinup-Girl-Waterslide-Decals-Stars-and-Bars-WWII-231-/250884979382?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a69e8fab6

The blond decal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stars-Bars-USAF-WWII-Pin-up-Bomber-Girl-Decals-1090-/250881219675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69af9c5b

They have a bunch of others if you look through their store, I just liked those two the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow this was a 5 year old post, but just got an email saying i was still subscribed to it haha. sold the bike a while ago. i'm going to delete this account but figured i would respond before doing so.

the tank is painted underneath. kawasaki paints the whole tank and then just glues the badge on after. it was very easy to remove, just take your time. low setting on the heat gun works perfect so you can get close and focus the heat on the badge and not the painted tank. use fishing line or dental floss and slowly work your way behind the badge with it, moving it up and down gently. once the line is or floss is behind the badge, pull towards the badge as you are sort of sawing back and forth. keep applying heat as often as possible, or better yet if someone can help you have them constantly use heat while you floss haha. once it is off, use a mild sticky substance remover like goo gone to get any leftover residue off the tank. be sure and clean the goo gone off the tank real well though or it may eat through. good luck and be patient!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i also still have the stock exhaust and live in southwest michigan if anyone needs it. come get it! 574-387-9663

1 - 19 of 19 Posts