Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody pull a trailer with their v2k? Can you buy a hitch setup for this bike? Where? Haven't ever pulled one, but was thinking about it for a mountain ride this Sept.

·
Registered
1 Posts
re trailer

I run a 2006 vn 2000 classic lt with a velorex side car and pull a cargo trailer with a storage area of 18 cubic feet fully loaded with no problem

hitch that i use is from www.mchitch.com
there are hidden hitches available (fully hidden inside the rear fender)
I did not go that way as I also run a car tire on the rear

The VN2000 has noooooo problem keeping up with anything else on the road
this bike pulls like a tractor

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too got a hitch on my VN2000 and pull a 18 Cu. Ft. trailer lie it's not back there. No problem at all. The Vulcan is one of the strongest bikes on the planet and will pull a house if you can find a place to tie the rope.

McHitch is the place to get your hitch, ball and trailer light isolator.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No Problem

Does anybody pull a trailer with their v2k? Can you buy a hitch setup for this bike? Where? Haven't ever pulled one, but was thinking about it for a mountain ride this Sept.
It's a hidden hitch made by Hitch Doc. I had it on my 2006 V2k and took a week and pulled the trailer over 1600 miles down the Blue Ridge with my girlfriend (now wife). Would forget that it was back there. It's a very nice and stable hitch and the only thing visible with the ball mount removed is two small triangles of chrome on either side of the fender. I took it off when I sold the bike thinking it might fit my new Voyager, it didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Installed the hidden hitch from Hitch Doc and the wiring harness from mchitch. I pulled the trailer 1100 miles with no problems. The hitch installed in about four hours and the harness took a bit longer because of the trailer light set-up. I ended up re-wireing the trailer to make it all work like to should. My trailer weighed in an about 400 lbs loaded with a hitch weight of about 10-15 lbs. It pulled like a dream and at times I did not know it was back there. I have the euro gears and I only shifted to fouth a couple time up some steep hills but other than that I had no issues. But remember you must respect that ther is a trailer back there and you must respect that it will handel differently.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
pull a trailer

ive probably pulled a trailer 40k over the last 20yrs, the last three trailer haulers have ALL been V2K's.
For the most part , you really dont know its there ,BUT, you need to become very aware , in an emergency situation THAT TRAILER WILL BITE YOU!!!!!
I speak from experience!!!!! Been there, got the titanium plates to prove it!!!!
As long as you stay totally focused when you are riding , and REMEMBER that its back there, have no worries!!!
A trailer's biggest disavantage is that YOU end up hauling all your buddies EXTRA crap and after a few trips , you forget how to properly pack all that stuff on you bike !!!! LOL
As for the bike pulling the trailer, the V2K is one of the very best choices, its POWERFUL, heavy, stable , handles well. Ive never met a hill or wind or combo of both , where I had to downshift.
the hitch choices are few, so Ive always made my own, & I can tell you that you want as little side flex as possible!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I could tell you where to get a really nice little trailer but it wouldn't do any good with you in Californicate. I is in beautiful Downtown Tejas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I finally got my trailer (The first one arrived damaged thanks to R & L and Price Truck Line and it took over 1 month to sort out the details so I could get another) and I was wondering about loading it. It is a 5 foot treadplate trailer that holds about 19 cu. ft. If I fill it up it is going to be quite heavy. What are the limitations on the v2K as far as pulling capacity, etc. I know I don't want too much weight on the tongue either.

Next question. When I bought my hitch it came with a standard ball and also a rotating ball which tips 90 degrees to each side. Do I need the rotating ball to go around curves or will the standard hitch be fine?

Lots of questions, sorry. Just want to be safe.

Nate

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
In my opinion you don't need a swiveling hitch. I have a fixed hitch on mine and it works just fine. You won't be pulling it through the twisties at Warp 2 anyhow so there's no need for anything special. Slow down a bit pulling your trailer and just go on. You'll be fine.

I am a week away from a trip to Florida and back and will be pulling my trailer. No worries here.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had this discussion with a buddy of mine.
We both pull trailers. He has a swivel, I do not.

He said the main reason for the swivel is if you happen to drop the bike, it doesn't try to pull the trailer over which can bend things up a bit.:bulgy-eyes:

You don't need it as long as you keep the shiny side up.:glasses-cool:

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Guess I never considered dropping the bike, which I've only done three times since I got this big beast, so it makes some sense.
I am, however, getting much more careful about dropping it. Hopefully it won't happen too many more times.
Just further proof that my opinion is only shared by me and then only as long as I can remember what I have said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts