Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall...

took the battery cover off of the v900 today, and theres a metal clip on the left side, that the screw has to go into,

its non exhaust side, that screws into battery, for some reason, not sure how it goes back in, anybody have a photo or suggestion?

also theres a matching screw on the other side, exhaust side as well but that doesn't have a clip.

thanks all!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The clip is the helmet holder .There should be a picture of it in your Owner's Manual.
It's correct orientation is with the raised end of the clip pointing in line with the left rear corner of the tool box tray or lid. Ensure that the clip does not interfere (puts pressure on) with the rubber hose running along the frame.
Your helmet hooks onto this clip via the chin strap buckle having removed the seat first! Pretty dumb engineering by Kawasaki imo, but......

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir, don't have manual,, need a picture of it to help me put it back on right tho-........i appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having trouble finding anything online. Stole the screenshot from this video. The clip goes here on top of the plastic battery cover/tray and slots between the two little raised tabs next to the screw hole.

I've attempted to draw this out on the back of my bagel wrapper, but I can get a photo of mine if I can remember tonight.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The rubber hose that is part of this discussion is the anti-freeze overflow tube. Don't puncture it and make sure it is not kinked or otherwise restricted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, and Kyle! appreciate it...I don't think thats it.I am talking abot the screw that your pointing to with the arrow, on the left side as u show it. IT supposed to thruw a bendy washer type in a particular way. right now the screw doesn't touch the female hole on the plastic battery case, so not sure how it goes in with that bent washer type.....confused....?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you talking about the threaded insert in the side cover? If the plastic side cover isn't fully seated in the 3 grommets, the screw will not reach the insert.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Liondog, I'll try to explain. If you look closely by zooming in on the picture that tech.kyle provided, you will see 2 small raised bumps just below (and slightly right) of the screw which tech.klye pointed out with the arrow. The helmet hook goes there. It's a single piece with a built-in washer that goes under that screw, that extends down and towards the left. It also goes between those 2 small bumps, so it's oriented correctly. You have to lift the seat to use the hook, which is why the seat key lock is also in the same area. In that picture, the helmet hook is missing, and it may be missing on your bike as well. That may be why that screw will not go down all the way, because the washer part of the helmet hook is missing. To add, the hook part goes up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yep, that's it. It's a bit awkward to use, which is why I don't use it, for anything. Remember, that's the overflow hose that goes under that hook. You want to make sure it is not kinked or placed anywhere other than under that hook, to protect it and to keep the flow unrestricted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes guys thats it , #110145, lesblank showed it rite and the other pic.....i cant get the screw on the driver side of the battery case 2fully seat, and i rebember this clip came off of that screw and not sure how to put it back..aaargh...!

it seem slike it can go back on a million ways....any help? thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what do you mean by the 3 grommets, to sit the screw in? i don't see grommets, the other side screws in fine...not sure why the screw 's doesnt touch the base?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes that's the clip guys, thanks for photos!....i cannot get the screw to sit thru the bottom of the base- not sure wat i am doing wrong, while the other screw on the rite side threads in fine, and the clip, dont know where that belongs, it just fell loose aftr i took it apart

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are just threaded tabs welded to the frame under those screws. I would check the threads on the screws, maybe swap left and right and what happens. Also might get a metric tap and chase the threads in the frame.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks gosupes, the screw goes in, but there is 2 much of a space between the plastic top and the base female hole, i lined it up flush.......Q4u: ....does the helmet screw clip go under the screw head?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Helmet screw clip? There is just the one screw, both left and right battery box screws are the same length, verify this and make sure you have the correct screw length. See the picture I posted earlier in this thread for what it should look like installed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks, sam elength for some reason i am not gettin the case to level off and close the female screw hole on bottom, so the screw not touching it....yes , helmet screw clip,....in regards to that, does it go right under the screw like a washer?

thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes, the screw holds it down. If you are unable to get the box to sit down on the frame tabs, you need to find out why.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You don't have the box seated properly. I rode a VN900 Custom for 10 years and every time I had that cover off it was a struggle to get it back on. Make sure all your wires are routed properly. The seat release cable needs to be in it's groove. If you can't get the cable set right, you still aren't down far enough with the box. Rock it back and forth, shift it around a little. If you have a tender pigtail, make sure the wires aren't interfering with the box. You'll know it when it sets down. I never did figure out what I was doing differently when it finally dropped in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts