Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this is a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway just in case someone has some clever way of doing this.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I had a bike with leather bags such as on my 900 Classic LT. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a reasonable way of locking the leather bags closed for times when you're away from your bike for an hour or so?

I realize that if someone really wanted to get into a leather bag (even if it were locked), they could get in, but I'd like to have some way to make it a little more difficult and time consuming for them than just having to open a couple of quick-release snaps with their fingers.

So, any ideas on how to lock a leather saddlebag?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The best way I've found is to replace them with hard bags! LOL Seriously though, it's a great investment. Locking hard Mutazu bags can be under $200..

I honestly was worried about it for a long time, but never had an issue. 'out of sight out of mind', nobody ever bothered it. For things like my helmet, I would run a bicycle lock through the D-rings and then lock it to my sissy bar. They could always cut the lock, but I figure it's a bit of a deterrent. Stop someone from just picking it up off the bike. Personally, I was always afraid that if I went through a lot of steps to wrap something around my hard saddlebag and lock it or something, then it would entice someone to look inside.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You could get a shoe repairer (or similar) to sew a couple of metal hoops on the bag & lid close enough to allow a padlock. It would look ok assuming you used nice SS or similar rust proof hoops. Boating supply shops have a nice range of SS fixtures including locking devices.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I've just used a small luggage lock and put it through a strap hole and the buckle. Not really secure, but as you said it is a small deterant from the very casual thief. Have Kury helmet lock and ISO grips with locks on the ends. I use a premade palstic coated steel cable that I run through the sleeve of my jacket and clip it though the Kury helmet lock down on the rear highway bar.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Don't matter how well you lock leather saddle bags. I got a good box cutter that will get around that. I fell most locks keep honest people and lazy thief's away. I wanted to lock my bags I would spring for some hard bags.

Saddleman has a set up similar to what fawlty99 was talking about.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
And if anyone is looking, I have a set of basically new leather bags off my V2K for sale, all hardware will be included.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Don't matter how well you lock leather saddle bags. I got a good box cutter that will get around that. I fell most locks keep honest people and lazy thief's away. I wanted to lock my bags I would spring for some hard bags.

Saddleman has a set up similar to what fawlty99 was talking about.
I think you're right, but the same could be said for hard bags. It'd be pretty easy to punch the locks out of mine, and if that didn't work, you could probably crack it open with a good hammer and just play pinata!

I think the locks play a good 'crime of opportunity' deterrent. I knew of a few folks on campus who had their helmets walk away from their bikes but nobody messed with mine locked to the sissy bar. I'm sure someone was just walking buy, and seeing a full face helmet with graphics all over it laying on a seat is like seeing a $50 bill laying on the sidewalk if you know how to use eBay!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I think you're right, but the same could be said for hard bags. It'd be pretty easy to punch the locks out of mine, and if that didn't work, you could probably crack it open with a good hammer and just play pinata!

I think the locks play a good 'crime of opportunity' deterrent. I knew of a few folks on campus who had their helmets walk away from their bikes but nobody messed with mine locked to the sissy bar. I'm sure someone was just walking buy, and seeing a full face helmet with graphics all over it laying on a seat is like seeing a $50 bill laying on the sidewalk if you know how to use eBay!
But that would make a lot more noise and draw attention to him. Thief's don't like attention.

I take my helmet and leather with me for the most part. I also keep a back pack in case of more valuables that I might not want to leave (or the wife's purse if she is with me) Anything else I leave I can do with out. Might hate to lose it but can do with out.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
But that would make a lot more noise and draw attention to him. Thief's don't like attention.

I take my helmet and leather with me for the most part. I also keep a back pack in case of more valuables that I might not want to leave (or the wife's purse if she is with me) Anything else I leave I can do with out. Might hate to lose it but can do with out.
That's true.

Now I have a big ol' honkin locking tour pak and a pair of locking hard saddlebags. I could pack my TV in there! (okay, not really). But now I can keep both of our full face helmets, our gear, in addition to all of the incidentals I keep, etc. It's pretty great. Before though, I'd usually take the helmet with me everywhere I go if at all I can. But I did get sick of lugging it around campus along with my iPad, laptop, books, etc. So it got left bicycle-locked to the bike. Nobody ever messed with it...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That's true.

Now I have a big ol' honkin locking tour pak and a pair of locking hard saddlebags. I could pack my TV in there! (okay, not really). But now I can keep both of our full face helmets, our gear, in addition to all of the incidentals I keep, etc. It's pretty great. Before though, I'd usually take the helmet with me everywhere I go if at all I can. But I did get sick of lugging it around campus along with my iPad, laptop, books, etc. So it got left bicycle-locked to the bike. Nobody ever messed with it...
Off topic for a sec. When you purchased your bags and trunk. Did you actually lay eyes on them before you got them or did you order them online and hope for the best from reading reviews and such. I have thought about getting them but are afraid of getting them and not liking them.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Off topic for a sec. When you purchased your bags and trunk. Did you actually lay eyes on them before you got them or did you order them online and hope for the best from reading reviews and such. I have thought about getting them but are afraid of getting them and not liking them.
Got both used from forum members. (Classifieds) Pics looked good, looks good on the bike. Can't complain!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
No matter what you use , if a thief wants in they will get in, (hardbags Etc) I put locks on my leather bags with some Rivets and some molding of a Hinge and latch clasp. took me about an hr

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And if anyone is looking, I have a set of basically new leather bags off my V2K for sale, all hardware will be included.
Just curious. Are those the same size, type, etc as what goes on a 900 Classic LT?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Viking leather bags have a tab that comes thru the strap from the bag. You could put a SMALL padlock on them. But if someone wants in them, ......

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just purchased these http://inertiawrx.com/ for my leather bags on my V2K. Have not had the time to install them but it looks pretty easy. I know that if someone wants to get in to my bags or a set of hard bags, they will no matter what. These will just give me some piece of mind when I stop in somewhere for supper or whatever. When I am on a trip and staying at a hotel I'm still going to unload all my valuables for night anyways.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Oops now that the video above loaded I see that's the same thing that I bought. Anyways - looking forward to getting those one and HOPING LIKE CRAZY that I can ride next month. It's a balmy minus 7C today here in Manitoba (that's 20F for all you lucky guys down south).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well Homedepot was my friend a lot cheaper,

could not have something hanging always in my bag( Vid Above) and always having to slip that rod in place.

Here is what I did simple home depot with pads locks

I lock bags when I need to, athe bags close fine even with pad locks are locked in eye

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just installed the first saddlebag lock on the left side. I'm happy with the look and the function.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts