Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the start I admit I know nothing ,nothing, about how exhaust heat affects engines, I KNOW the issue of heat has been done to death, but I was thinking of wrapping three layered ceramic centered heat shielding around the pipes to lessen the amount going up to the rider. I understand this won't get rid of the heat from the engine itself, but it might stop radiated heat from the exhaust adding to the engine heat.

I have had the heat shielding put on under the recall but it seems to have made little difference and as we are heading into our summer down here.

Would completely wrapping the pipes, as against just increasing the thickness of the existing shielding on the chrome covers, create problems for the motor for the catalytic converter?

Any suggestions please.

·
Registered
194 Posts
racynray will probably be able to help you as I think he did that to at least one of the sets of pipes he has had on the Vaq

·
Registered
274 Posts
At the start I admit I know nothing ,nothing, about how exhaust heat affects engines, I KNOW the issue of heat has been done to death, but I was thinking of wrapping three layered ceramic centered heat shielding around the pipes to lessen the amount going up to the rider. I understand this won't get rid of the heat from the engine itself, but it might stop radiated heat from the exhaust adding to the engine heat.

I have had the heat shielding put on under the recall but it seems to have made little difference and as we are heading into our summer down here.

Would completely wrapping the pipes, as against just increasing the thickness of the existing shielding on the chrome covers, create problems for the motor for the catalytic converter?

Any suggestions please.
Got rid of alot of heat when I put the vance&hines slipons on and ditched the converters. More efficent way to move hot air threw the exaust system and better sounding pipes as a plus:) no need for a fuel managment system with these pipes!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
23 years of wrapping exhausts

I have been wrapping exhaust pipes since 1988. I had built a big bore stroker motor for a CB1000 Hurricane, which had just about the smallest radiator for a litre bike. Man that thing ran hot. Wrapping the pipes helped tremendously.

Since then i wrap all the pipes i install on my skoots and recommend wrapping exhausts i install on my customer's skoots. There is always a decrease in radiant heat that affects the engine, but more importantly what the driver feels is less, making the skoot more comfy to ride. I wrapped the Vance & Hines exhaust b4 it was installed on my Vaquero and as compared to the un-wrapped stock exhaust I feel less heat on my legs while riding or sitting at a light, and the engine runs a bit cooler too.

Wrapping the pipes is far better than thicker heat shileds as the wrap holds the heat in at the source. I have NEVER seen ANY problems or drawbacks with wrapping the exhaust...EVER!!

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Ray, have you ever thought about ceramic coating? Supposed to do the same thing, but works internally and externally, from what I have read.
I have also been using ceramic coatings, the exhaust on my 196 H.P. Hayabusa is ceramic coated AND thermo wrapped!!

My experience is the wrapping is far more affective in reducing radiant heat from the exhaust. We use wrapping made by Thermotec.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I'm a diesel tech for NYC MTA and work on buses. Our exhaust systems utilize a diesel particulate filter with a honeycomb filter medium and catalyst, similar to our cat elements in our cars and bikes. We wrap our pipes to contain the heat inside the pipe as it serves a dual purpose. First, it keeps the engine compartment temps down which would eventually radiate into the passenger compartment of the bus. Second, it keeps the exhaust temp up inside the pipe which helps to burn the carbon particulates in the exhaust. So it keeps us cool and is also good for the environment. Definitely a plus any way you look at it.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank Everyone

I'll give it a go

Vic

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was warned away from wrapping the pipe on my Voyager because I was told the wrap would hold moisture against the exhaust pipe and help it rust out. Not sure it this is true, just what someone suggested to me.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Somewhere in here I have already mentioned that was one of my winter projects. I have done it before with other motorcycles and it helps. The ONLY problem is if you have after market headers as they normally are of cheaper metal than the stock and if you live in a wet climate they will do more corrosion on the pipes during any long down time. So I would run it a few minutes weekly to keep the moisture monsters out of the webbing. Here is no problem as our humidity is usually around 8 percent. Unless you wash it and park it for a couple of weeks I don't think moisture build up would happen if it is ran til it warms up every few days. I have heard the captive moisture thing before but I have only seen it on one bike that was parked for over a year outside without running it while stationed in Syracuse....

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ride every day weather permitting our winters only get to 6C (about 50 f I think) anyway winter or summer the bike gets hot daily. So corrosion shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think I'll give it a go

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Here is my V&H with the wrapping, the spaces are for the heatshield mounting posts.

Unpainted wrap...

Painted wrap...

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Ray,

What paint did you use? I have a lot of high temp paint but I don't think it is that high temp.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Ray,

What paint did you use? I have a lot of high temp paint but I don't think it is that high temp.
HEADER/EXHAUST paint, the 1300 or 1500 degree stuff, flat black.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been wrapping exhaust pipes since 1988. I had built a big bore stroker motor for a CB1000 Hurricane, which had just about the smallest radiator for a litre bike. Man that thing ran hot. Wrapping the pipes helped tremendously.

Since then i wrap all the pipes i install on my skoots and recommend wrapping exhausts i install on my customer's skoots. There is always a decrease in radiant heat that affects the engine, but more importantly what the driver feels is less, making the skoot more comfy to ride. I wrapped the Vance & Hines exhaust b4 it was installed on my Vaquero and as compared to the un-wrapped stock exhaust I feel less heat on my legs while riding or sitting at a light, and the engine runs a bit cooler too.

Wrapping the pipes is far better than thicker heat shileds as the wrap holds the heat in at the source. I have NEVER seen ANY problems or drawbacks with wrapping the exhaust...EVER!!

RACNRAY
I have added metallic and ceramic wrap around heat shield, this shielding has made a big difference to the amount of heat from the engine I feel. The bike seems to be taking a little longer to reach the second notch on the temp gauge, I guess that is because there is less radiated heat hitting the engine.

I noticed that although the heat shield recall had been done there was no shielding on the rear cylinder chrome cover. No wonder I was getting a hot seat :rolleyes:

Did the stealer forget it or wasn't it part of the heat shield recall Kawasaki did? :mad:

I also read in another Kawa forum that wrapping the pipes all the way can affect the tail end of end system, any thoughts on this :confused:

I think I will pick up some good quality heat tape when I'm in the states next month as it is so cheap over there then here in Oz.

Any suggestions as to the best brands?

What about single layer or double? Worth doing

Thanks for all the help and info :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think I will pick up some good quality heat tape when I'm in the states next month as it is so cheap over there then here in Oz.
Where in the states are ya comin to? If in the DC area let me know - I'll buy you lunch -

Been following this thread and wondering - How difficult is this for an amateur parking lot wrench (no garage even)? From the looks of it, I have to remove the exhaust from the headers back, take off the shiny stuff, wrap it, paint it (why is paint necessary?) reassemble the shiny stuff, put it all back on with new header gaskets etc . . . Am I missing anything here?:confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Advice and numbers

How much tape does it take to wrap the header pipes? Will one Accel 25 foot kit work or will I need two kits? Can you reuse the crush seals on the header pipe to the heads? I am looking to buy a set of tri ovals next month so I figure while I have the bags off might as well do the header pipes too.
Thanks for any advice and sharing of knowledge.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where in the states are ya comin to? If in the DC area let me know - I'll buy you lunch -

Been following this thread and wondering - How difficult is this for an amateur parking lot wrench (no garage even)? From the looks of it, I have to remove the exhaust from the headers back, take off the shiny stuff, wrap it, paint it (why is paint necessary?) reassemble the shiny stuff, put it all back on with new header gaskets etc . . . Am I missing anything here?:confused:
Thanks for the offer I'm staying Maryland staying in Bel Air with friends for Thanksgiving. Only day available is the 22nd Nov tied up on other days (at my minister for wars insistence she wants to do tourist things!) at this point not sure about transport options yet.

I think DC is about 2 - 3 hours from Bel air, so no worries if distance is a problem. However I could use some local knowledge. I was going to try Petes Cycle there for a few small parts like the stick on American Pride flag holders helmet locks and manifold tape etc so I would appreciate any other knowledge on good part places near Bel Air.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I'm also stuck for workshop area as well so I did mine the hard way took the chrome off Purchased larger stainless hose clamps first as others have suggested, and very tediously pulled the wrap through and tight.

I know the purists will blanch at that but one must make do with available tools and space! Anyhow it worked and it produced the results others and myself have described here. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts