Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking id like a 2.5-3' tall Sissybar/backrest. Due to money and lack of tools (none). I will have to buy the metal then pay someone to cut and weld it. So Im ok with squared over anything real fancy. But Never made one before. Have some ideas on a tall sissy bars functions, other then looks.

Anyone have any experience in this field?

Also...

Is there a standard width sissy bar bags have on the straps that wrap around the bars? Just so if I go through with it. It will fit standard luggage also. Not just bungee straps.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Honestly, if it where me and price was the main concern, buy a cheap knockoff from eBay and save a lot of headache. And likely end up with something better than you'll be able to make (not knowing your fabricating abilities).

Joel

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt a custom made would be cheaper then them standard bars. In my mind, Im picturing .75" square tubeing, weld it onto a standard bracket or cut my own bracket from a flat piece of steel. And Id be fine with a basic Square design. I want to be able to mount a Pelican Rifle vase to the back and maybe luggage on the front of the backrest part. And also when the ol lady rides with me, she can have full back support. Just my thought. Just not sure how to get the ball rolling. Or what the standard strap spacing is on standard sissy bar bags. Just so I can keep it more universal also.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If I were you, I'd probably start by drawing up something similar to what you're looking for, with some basic measurements, then take that to a metal shop and get a quote. Once you have the quote, check out Ebay and see if you can beat the quote. That should light up the path to follow.

Another thought is to get a Wompus Rack and just add a loop and pad to it. Wompus Bike Racks - Heavy Duty Custom Built Steel Kawasaki Motorcycle Racks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts