Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I replaced the stator and regulator with Rick's parts. Recently my low beam burnt out. I replaced it and the new bulb quickly fried, high and low. I tried another bulb with similar results. That led to testing of volts at battery and headlight with engine running. It was 17-19v, well above specs in manual indicating bad regulator. While I deal with the Ebay seller and warranty claim, I've started the bike again just to double check my findings. Tonight I started it with the regulator unplugged while taking a reading at the battery, then plugged the regulator in. The familiar noise I heard put a not in my stomach. It was the "stator going bad sound." Here are my questions...Did I damage the stator by plugging in a bad regulator with the bike running? Anyone else had problems with Rick's parts? Does a stator operating any length of time with a bad regulator tend to make it go bad? Or am I just really unlucky?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Am sure the bad regulator probably damaged the stator. Would check all wires going to the regulator for shorts or loose/corroded connections.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I replaced my stator and reg with Ricks 14 months ago. Ricks regulator went bad in about 6 months (thank you kuryakyn volt meter).

Sent it to them and they replaced it at no cost. However, I purchased an OEM regulator and that is what is on the bike now.

14,000 miles on Ricks stator at this time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick's warranty

thanks for the reply gentlemen. Johnny, did you buy direct from Rick's? I'm starting to get the feeling I'll be jerked around. I followed up with my ebay seller and they said they, as in Rick's hadn't got back to them (seller) yet...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, that's good to know for future reference. If I don't hear back from the seller Monday, I'll have to contact ebay and get them involved. In the meantime, I'm stuck buying two new parts because I want to get back on the road as soon as possible. This is quickly becoming a headache.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I took the chance in buying my stator off Ebay from Parts_giant but paid $134 instead of $160 direct from Rick's. It came in a Rick's box with their directions so I'm hoping I don't have a problem. I just installed it about 600 miles ago and its been fine and I did all the regulator tests and other stator tests after the stator install.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just had a guy at work that had his Ricks regulator go out on his way in to work on Monday. He has had it on his bike for just a couple of months. His bike was not a kawi, it is a Yamaha I think.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I replaced my OEM with Rick's stator and regulator as a pair. That was 12000 miles ago. Both still running strong. But I did keep the OEM reg as a back up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts