Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search here and read all that is available on the subject, so now I'll ask all. I'm looking @ new rear shocks for my 2003 1600 Classic. Ride is 50/50 at 2up & I do have saddle bags. I'm looking and pondering over the Progressive 412s & the 430's ( especially because I want the black but the price nearly doubles when go to the 430. So has anyone have either of these on their ride & if so your opinion please. I will be ordering very soon so any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like my 412's. I am about 210 and my wife is maybe 98 pounds. I have saddlebags and a tailbag and it only bottoms out on the roughest bumps. Two up and loaded I usually run them on their highest settings with the stock springs that came on them. They were a big improvement over the factory shocks and are good even when solo/unloaded. I don't know if the 430's would be better, I couldn't justify the extra price they wanted for them for a cruiser since I don't push the envelope hard with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 430's and I love them. Just don't get the HD. I am about 230 and the wife clocks in around 125 and I am only using half of the preload.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm 240 and the SO is 125, I'm replacing the stock rears with 412HD 412-4221C, I don't want to be on the highest spring rate but somewhere in the middle and have heard if I go HD I'll be good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
412 hd stock height and do the forks also. Made a big difference! Best mod for your bike period. My weight ranges from 240lb to 270lb throughout the year and 220's if I take it to the stage. I came from many sport bikes and suspension is always a must. Especially if you like to drag those boards through turns. It will make your bike feel likes its on rails and not a floating station wagon.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't seem to find out the exact stock length of the rear shocks is it 12 or 12.5". I'm to lazy & walk out and measure right now & I'm trying to order. also going to take recommendation and change the front springs seeing that I have noticed front dip when getting on the front brakes. I appreciate everyone's input.

HalfBreed

·
Registered
41 Posts
13" is what I ordered (12.75" stock for 05" classic) and you will need to make a spacer out of a few washers for the top mount. I believe I did four stainless steel on each side.

I can't seem to find out the exact stock length of the rear shocks is it 12 or 12.5". I'm to lazy & walk out and measure right now & I'm trying to order. also going to take recommendation and change the front springs seeing that I have noticed front dip when getting on the front brakes. I appreciate everyone's input.

HalfBreed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions. I finally bit the bullett and ordered new Progressive front springs & 12.5" Progressive 412 rear shocks. I have several other parts coming in & it's like Christmas in March, also have on the way a new replacement windsheid & new risers to get some better angle on the bars, oh and the really great thing is they were all bought with the wifes approval, yep they don't come much better than her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts