Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing up the look of my 07 Custom. I really like the "Murdered Out" look. As I am going to this as a DIY project, I think I may attemp this with the Plasti Dip products. I have aready used it on the inside if my windshield to black it out. It worked great and has lasted 3 years and counting. I'm just wondering how this stuff will last on wheels and forks etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff and can tell me how successful they where or wheren't.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
LOL, I have the black/white and I cant strap enough chrome to it. The more I put on, the better it looks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, That's the way it goes hey darkarcher!!! I like the black and chrome too, that's the main reason I'd like to try this with the plasti dip. It's removable if I want to go back to stock. I think I'm going to just start with small pieces and work my way along till I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
LOL, That's the way it goes hey darkarcher!!! I like the black and chrome too, that's the main reason I'd like to try this with the plasti dip. It's removable if I want to go back to stock. I think I'm going to just start with small pieces and work my way along till I'm happy with it.
I'm not sure if it's plasti dip but I have seen some of the tuner cars around town with some stuff on their wheels that protects them for the winter. Comes in all kinds of crazy colors and just peels right off. I guess that's what they call plasti dip but I would try some of that stuff.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
While I don't have a Custom, and actually have the same bike year & color as @darkarcher, I am moving it (slowly) to replacing all the chrome bits with black. I just received a set of black Road Burner 3" Drag Pros and am just waiting on some compression seals to arrive. Then it's off with the chrome stock pipes next weekend.

I won't be going totally murdered-out because I do want to keep the pearl white against black paint, as well as the white walls. At least for a while until I get tired of that.

FWIW, I think the Custom lends itself to a murdered-out look --- more so than the Classic. You better post pics of your progress!:)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Oh boy. A black motorcycle with everything blacked out. Gee, that's so unique! Like a Honda Civic with a huge wing on it. Not something you see every single day on every single road every single time. ;)

Okay, I won't be too mean. Obviously, I'm a chrome fan. But looks cool! Keep it goin'! A lot of people like the plasti-dip route as a cheap solution. I've never done it but it looks okay.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'd be a little concerned about the plasti-dip on the pipes though. If that was a plan.

Kawasaki did make an OEM blacked-out version. You might find some stock black pipes on the cheap.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You might also consider 'header' paint. I got some at a local Car Quest to paint the inside of my stock (surface rusted) chrome pipes.

You put it on and run the bike through a hot/cold cycle a few times so the stuff cures to the surface. I don't know how durable it is. It's more like a sprayon ceramic coating. Might be a solution you can look at.

Downside is it would likely be permanent and/or a PITA to remove, so might not fit your situation that well. Food for thought.

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
I've used black Plastidip on just about everything at one point or another... it's what's on my front wheel and rear wheel, and has been there for 3 years without an issue. I also used it for the front fork tubes, and chrome engine side covers... the side covers didn't take long to get beat up from foot and leg abrasion, so I peeled it back off. Biohazard's post about ceramic header paint is correct, and the stuff is extremely durable... and to his point should be considered permanent. You may want to consider just using a header wrap if you don't want to go "all in" on the pipes. (Comes in black, gray, white, gold, etc...) See the pipe's below on my 900 Custom... mine are wrapped in "gunmetal gray".

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used Black Plasti-Dip on my truck wheels and they turned out great. Used the requisite 4-6 coats to get everything looking even.

of the bike

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used Black Plasti-Dip on my truck wheels and they turned out great. Used the requisite 4-6 coats to get everything looking even.

Hmm... so the stock wheels on my Acadia are in bad shape due to the de-icer they use on the mountain roads to the ski hill. How did you prep your wheels and did you use plasti dip in a rattle can? I'd love to have them black instead of rashed out aluminum.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Hmm... so the stock wheels on my Acadia are in bad shape due to the de-icer they use on the mountain roads to the ski hill. How did you prep your wheels and did you use plasti dip in a rattle can? I'd love to have them black instead of rashed out aluminum.
Yep. Rattle can. used two/three cans I think for all 4 wheels?

Clean them real good. Let them dry in the sun (air is best to evaporate).

tape off the valves so nothing gets in them. and tape off any other area you don't want the color. If you are leaving on the vehicle make sure to bag off the rotor/caliper and anything behind you don't want coated. If you take them off you can even remove the wheel weights (if on the outside lip) and mark their locations to put back on.

start with one light coat per wheel. then do two medium coats each. then two slightly heavy coats per wheel. pull the tape off immediately after the last coat otherwise you run the risk of it drying and peeling off the Plasti-Dip.

I didn't even tape off the tires. Once you drive for a day or two the excess starts falling off leaving whats on the rims. You can get creative with different colors if you want a symbol in the middle of the rim.

was the easiest 2-3 hours I had. It says to wait 15-30 minutes between coats to let it set up but I think I waited no longer than 15 at most.

I did this last April and by September I had taken it through the car wash with no problems. It's not a permanent solution and I do need to re-touch a few spots (wheels weights I left on) but otherwise I'm happy

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dipped my headlight ring. Brake light ring. And turn signals. Love getting rid of the chrome. I just need black mirrors and that'll be enough for me

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I like the result. How easy is it to apply the coating so it looks nice like that?

I just posted a pic of my classic with black ceramic pipes (not that I'm suggesting you have more work to do:D).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't mind the chrome pipes since they look nice and I'm not gonna spend 500 on new pipes just so they're black. Hahaha
Its very easy to to. Just like spray painting. Just make sure u get all the edges extra good. So it's tough other wise it'll peel right up.
I do like the longer pipes tho covering up more

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Like a Honda Civic with a huge wing on it
don't forget the big fart can Romans...... the two go hand in hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts