Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is my first bike and i bought it used, i've had it for just over a month now, and i noticed a small box under the seat in front of the tool box. im not sure if this an OEM Kawi part or what. to me it looks aftermarket.

anyone have any ideas what this thing is?

·
Registered
306 Posts
looks like some sort of fuel processor . not sure what one but maybe someone on here will know what brand it is .

·
Registered
782 Posts
If it is a fuel processor, I don't recognize the brand. Also, most processors have adjustments on them for tuning the bike. The only one that I know of that doesn't have adjustments is the Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro, but it doesn't look like this.

Since the little black box says, "This Side Down", it could be a bike alarm of some type. A common way to build a bike alarm is to use an level sensor. Basically, when you stop the bike and lean it over on the kickstand, the box takes a reading of the angle the bike is sitting at. Then when the key is removed or a key fob is pressed, the box goes into alert mode. At that point, if the bike changes its angle by a given degree, the alarm will go off. This way, someone can't just walk up and roll off with your bike without a big fuss being made. Most of the bike alarms I see online have key fobs for activation. Did your bike come with any fobs? If not, ask the dealer / previous owner if they still have them. This is a link to a generic alarm I found that looks similar to the box on your bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
it just came in my mind - a anti theft device ???
whatever it is ... - definitely aftermarket IMO

Cheers
I have to agree with the alarm idea, based on the "This Side Down". I'm guessing there is also some kind of ignition monitor to sense whether the bike has been started, or a kill sensor to prevent the bike from being started. I'd look up under the bike, where the monoshock is to see if there is a siren mounted there, I see a bundle of wired trailing to the left that have nowhere else to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was kinda thinking it could be a starter kill device. i remember seeing something in the dealership saying that they could remotely dissable a vehichle for non payment. if this is the case, i would prefer it go.

i had followed the wires a bit, and they seem to go towards the ignition cylinder, and the box is attached to a relay.

thanks for the ideas guys

·
Registered
29 Posts
It could be the MC Locate device for tracking your bike through GPS. They tried to sell me on it when I bought mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts