Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to Colorado for the middle of June. Google maps will show me road surface but in my mapping program I get the message that the route contains private or restricted access roads. Anyone familiar with the area will hopefully be able to clarify.

I am traveling from Cheyenne Mountain State Park to the Garden of the Gods and then up to Echo Lake Campground at the base of Mt Evans.

https://goo.gl/maps/fec8G

I want to avoid the super slab but sure don't want to end up in someone's cow pasture or on any dirt roads.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I will direct some of my members (who are better with directions than I) towards this question. Are you going through Garden of the Gods? That might be what they are talking about. Can you be more specific on the question area? Is there somewhere specific you are getting this message?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Dawn said:
I am having trouble getting into the forum. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime, I think the restricted use message is Mt Evans. There's a fee to get up there. But, if he has National Park Pass, that will work. I checked my maps - I don't see any problem with any of the roads he has chosen

Got some information, she is continuing to look into this, but it appears Mt. Evans may be the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally got logged in.... the roads on your route are all marked as clear paved roads on my motorcycle map. So, I think the restricted usage is just that you have to pay a fee to get up to Mt Evans. That road, as well as some of the other passes, are often closed during the winter. So, just be sure your route is late enough into the summer to ensure the roads are open.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I finally got logged in.... the roads on your route are all marked as clear paved roads on my motorcycle map. So, I think the restricted usage is just that you have to pay a fee to get up to Mt Evans. That road, as well as some of the other passes, are often closed during the winter. So, just be sure your route is late enough into the summer to ensure the roads are open.
in colorado anything above 10k ft (90% of the mtns) winter extends to/thru June.. early, often you may have to take an alternate(longer) route to yor next destination. mt Evans ($10) is 14297, you can ride to the top if you have the nerve... several times, I never made it beyond the tree line a mile or so past the $10 charge station. cept once, somebody else was driving my truck. the road, the view its all down on all sides... way the f down! echo lake is perty tho! perty dang kold! swam in it as was my only day wash in a week of hiking n camping on that mountain. poncho

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Poncho - it will take some courage to go up to Mt Evans. I like the tight curves, but the sheer drop offs on the side will take your breath away. My first time up there, I think I held my breath until I got to the top! There are no guard rails. And, if you get stuck behind a car that is scared, you are going REALLY slow or stop & go - neither scenario is good on a bike. But, as Poncho said Echo Lake is also gorgeous. So, it's certainly not a wasted trip if you don't go all the way to the top.

Most of our 14'ers and many of our high mountain passes are going to be like that towards the top - steep, tight curves, no guard rails, steep drop offs, possibly covered with some sand/gravel due to rain washing it onto the roads - so just be careful!! Ride safe and you'll have an AWESOME trip!!

PHP:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mid-June

Oh - Mid-June should be okay for most roads. But absolutely watch the weather - you never know when a storm (rain or snow at high elevations) may come through. And, you probably want to be on flatter ground by 3pm or 4pm - we often get thunderstorms late in the day in June. Last year, it went through July.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for your replies. I didn't think about Mt Evans being the culprit on the private road issue. Not sure if we will go to the top of Mt Evans or not. Probably a lot depends on the weather and how our ride is going to that point.

We are going to camp at Echo Lake if it is above 40 at night. If not we will probably find a hotel somewhere close.

We will be in Colorado for 7 days (10 days total trip from home). Our entire route at this point is planned to be https://goo.gl/maps/He11g

If anyone familiar with that area sees any problems or suggest any other routes I would be very open to suggestions. I am trying to keep the miles per day down below 200. I know that is grandpa pace but we like to stop and look a lot. A couple of our days are going to be somewhere in the 140 range.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
What days are you looking at coming through? Maybe we could get together (The Denver Vulcan Riders Association) for a day of riding, or dinner, or something!

I know that we are going to the national VRA rally June 20th, so if it's before that, we can make something work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What days are you looking at coming through? Maybe we could get together (The Denver Vulcan Riders Association) for a day of riding, or dinner, or something!

I know that we are going to the national VRA rally June 20th, so if it's before that, we can make something work.
Sounds like a great idea. There will be three of us riding together. We are supposed to get together in a week or so to finalize our dates. I'll see if they are game.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Sounds good! You can update here for now. We can swap to email later, if we need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts