Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any changes for the 09 900 Classic besides the usual model year color changes?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
And, if I'm not mistaken, there is a "900 badge" on the side of the engine, breather cover. I could be wrong about this.....I was looking at an 08 last night and it was slightly different than the 09 I'm getting today. I also read the max torque was lowered in the rpm range because most drivers cruised right at 60...and that's when they wanted the most grunt to "pass".

·
Registered
65 Posts
"900" Air cleaner cover

silenthil "And, if I'm not mistaken, there is a "900 badge" on the side of the engine, breather cover."
I have an 09 Custom and it does indeed have a 900 on the cover. Have any Idea if the older cover will fit the 09? I am not thrilled with the 900 stamp and was thinking about covering the cover with the Harley insert mod.
I would be willing to trade mine out with a local.:D

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had a guy ask me if it was a 1500 today....lol. I smartly replied, nope, see! (pointing to the 900 badging)....lol. I dunno, I kinda like the 900 designation. I think of the rich heritage back in the day when the Kawi 9 ruled supreme. I believe the Kawi 9 rules supreme....again.
Regards, Silent.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don't some of the larger Vulcans not even say what the engine size is?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bigmo, The only change besides the ones already mentioned here is the valve adjustment in the owners manual went from 15,000 miles on the 08 model to 26,000 miles on the 09 model. I don't know why that is. My wife rides an 08 classic and I ride an 09 classic. I was at the dealer today as a matter of fact and they could not tell me why either. Seems like Kawasaki Corporate should at least send out updates to their dealers. Another issue discussed earlier in another thread is the missing oil screen on both my bike any my wifes bike. The service manuals for both model years clearly shows the screen as part of the oil pumping system. Go figure???

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bigmo, The only change besides the ones already mentioned here is the valve adjustment in the owners manual went from 15,000 miles on the 08 model to 26,000 miles on the 09 model. I don't know why that is. My wife rides an 08 classic and I ride an 09 classic. I was at the dealer today as a matter of fact and they could not tell me why either. Seems like Kawasaki Corporate should at least send out updates to their dealers. Another issue discussed earlier in another thread is the missing oil screen on both my bike any my wifes bike. The service manuals for both model years clearly shows the screen as part of the oil pumping system. Go figure???
Guy at my dealer said they send out books noting the differences in bikes between years... there were a good 70 things in there. Most dealers look at them for a minute or two then throw them out. It may be a good resource. Also contacting Kawasaki directly may be of help too. I think the power loss may have something to do with our beloved government telling motorcycle (and car companies) what to make. The link below is on HDs, but could be applicable to other MCs.

http://balootisme.blogspot.com/2008/07/does-your-2007-harley-davidson-run-hot.html

·
Registered
382 Posts
2008 VN900 specs

2009 VN900 specs

/\bike shown in that pic '09 is just like mine!

Anyway, for contacting Kawasaki (if we all send in inquiries on the differences between them, they should reply to at least one of us), here it is...
Mailing Address:
Attn: Consumer Services
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
PO Box 25252
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5252

Our Consumer Services Department is also available at (949) 460-5688. Our hours are Monday-Friday 8:30-4:45 Pacific Time.

For those of us who like to email, "Email: You can also use our online email form by selecting a topic below. We appreciate your feedback. Please understand that due to the high volume of inbound emails, we will only respond to those customers who need assistance with completing e-commerce orders. If you have an urgent question, please check the FAQ section of Kawasaki.com or contact your local dealer. "

·
Registered
130 Posts
silenthil "And, if I'm not mistaken, there is a "900 badge" on the side of the engine, breather cover."
I have an 09 Custom and it does indeed have a 900 on the cover. Have any Idea if the older cover will fit the 09? I am not thrilled with the 900 stamp and was thinking about covering the cover with the Harley insert mod.
I would be willing to trade mine out with a local.:D
My 08 has a 900 on the cover .Thinking I may change it out to the "Free Spirit" cover by Showchrome about 99 bucks

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah thats what mine 07 had. PO put the (Free Spirit) cover on. If I can get the intake I want, I would get rid of the "Free Spirit" cover, just not my bag baby.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah thats what mine 07 had. PO put the (Free Spirit) cover on. If I can get the intake I want, I would get rid of the "Free Spirit" cover, just not my bag baby.
me neither... 900 or blank, or some cool machined design.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
09 lt, frame is powder coated, only for the 09's?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts